Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-17-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
I need to replace my inline fuel filter on my 95 Sunsetter 350 Magnum EFI. I'm looking for a Napa/Wix or whatever alternative that's not $30 plus. The Mercruiser part number is 35-807174. I've searched all over for some cross reference and can't find anything.

Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-18-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
that looks exactly like a fuel filter that goes on chevy trucks from like 1998-2003. if its not take it to a good part store and they can look the filter up by the size and thread type.
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-18-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Your best bet is to pull it off and take it to a decent parts store. They should be able to match it up pretty easily. And i agree it looks like the filter out of a GM truck.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-18-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
I feel your pain, I paid over $60 for my mercruiser inline fuel filter last month.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-18-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
I went to NAPA this morning, no luck on getting anything to match up because there is flanges inside the filter. Looks like I'm going to order the OEM one unless I find anything else out.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-18-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   
Jay, I wasn't able to cross to a Wix/Napa. Did you look at a Napa 3481 though? The wix numbe ris 33481 and it is a similar looking inline filter that has female connections on both ends like the one that you show. I have no idea if the connections are hte right size though. The 33481 is used on some indmar engines I believe so it may be the one. There just is no verifiable cross that I could find. If it works you should be able to get it for $15-$20 at a napa I bet.

http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/P...asp?Part=33481
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-18-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
Brett, actually he pulled the filter you listed but it doesn't have the flange inside the thread. I wish I'd taken pictures of the filter/hose ends but I put it back on for the time being. The ends of the hoses have flanges that mate up with a flange that's inside the thread of the fuel filter, the guy thought it was strange.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-18-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
i went through the same thing with my 05' black scorpion. looks the same as yours. i ran around to several auto parts stores and could not find one that matched the thread. so i ended up buying one with barbed ends (i think from a chevy truck) only a few $$ and pealed out the male threaded ends from both the in and out and pressed on the new one, double hose clamped. after a lot of screwing around it was kind of a no brainer. i cant tell from the pic but are the supply metal or rubber. mine was rubber of course
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-18-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Sounds like a great idea, I'll probably do that next year.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-18-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
When I got home from work I read what I posted and I'm not sure I made sense?
The fuel filter I bought had barbed ends. The male threaded part on the fuel lines are barbed on one side with the male thread on the other. I took those out and pushed the hose on the barbs on the fuel filter.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-18-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
Yep, made sense to me. When I took it apart I wondered why they bothered with the threaded fittings at all. Doesn't seem to make it any easier to replace, in fact, seemed more difficult.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-18-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
The reason for the fittings is USCG/NMMA requirements. Try making an insurance claim for a vessel that has been modified away from USCG/NMMA requirements and you may not like the result. Use the correct part.

Why use a barbed fitting on a high pressure line in the bilge of a boat? That is just not worth the risk for $50.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-19-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
What you're saying might be true but logically I can't see the difference between the following:

rubber line -> barbed fitting -> threaded fitting -> threaded fitting on fuel filter -> threaded fitting -> barbed fitting -> rubber line

and

rubber line -> barbed fitting on fuel filter -> rubber line

You have less joints that can leak, and you eliminate some threaded fittings, but you're not introducing any more threaded fittings than already existed.

Maybe it's because inserting and removing threaded fittings every year wears out the rubber hose and makes it leak.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-19-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
they would also have to prove that the fuel filter is what caused the problem. now if it was a boat fire you may have a hard time but if it was some other type of claim it would not matter.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-19-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
I meant to say, "you're not introducing any more barbed fittings than already existed."
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-19-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
Poor guy that comes along and buys that boat next...Goes to replace fuel filter with OEM, only to find someone has removed the original fittings, and now has had barbed, hoseclamped fitings in it's place! So, he has to cut the ends of the rubber lines and hope theres enough left to pull up...
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
All the insurance company has to do is see non-marine grade components and they will claim you are in breach. Now, you have to prove otherwise. The insurance company has a lot resources, how much do you have to fight it? Fuel, ignition, starting, and alternator systems are marine specific.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       06-19-2012, 9:33 PM Reply   
I remembered I had an Amazon gift card and found the filter there, so I'm going to suck it up and go OEM. My old boat had a barbed filter, It was always seeping by the clamps and I had constantly had to tighten it. Knowing my luck it'll leak and come out looking like crap.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-20-2012, 3:21 AM Reply   
If you rubber lines then you still have barbed fittings they are on the other side of the threaded adapter.
And I am not an insurance agent but have grown up and boats mostly outboard and I/Os and disagree. Although I would not run a non-marine alternator if you did and had an electrical fire under the steering wheel you would not be denied coverage.
There is nothing more or less marine about the OEM filter than the Napa filter.