Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (shortywakeman)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-02-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
I have now been wakeboarding for about 2 years and have decided that i might want to try to wakeskate. so i would like to know what everyones opinion on wakeskateing being harder or easier to learn than wakeboarding, and if u guys have any pointers for me let me know please. thanks. i would also like to know what size board i should look at i am 5'6" and i weight about 130. thank you all for your help
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-03-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
It's more challenging because the board is smaller and tougher to control, but don't be discouraged. Try it out...probably a 41 inch would be a good size for you.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-04-2006, 1:20 AM Reply   
When I started, i found that it was more challenging getting up. Once you're up, however, the difference is minimal. The board is smaller and therefore a bit more difficult to control, BUT you're not strapped in and you have the freedom to adjust your stance whenever you want to. Like David D sez, use a 41 inch board with some fins to make it easier for you and enjoy. Once you go strapless, you may not strap in again! Good luck.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-10-2006, 12:32 AM Reply   
Folks that tell you it's just lake wakeboarding are kinda over simplifying it. I am just starting and it's way more difficult than wakeboarding. I'm happy to just stay on the board right now, whereas with wakeboarding I was carving and doing surface stuff more quickly.

You can't make any mistakes and must be able to edge like a champ. Wakeskating is way more technical than wakeboarding. But it's way more fun when you are riding and falling is funner too!
Old     (samhill)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Wakeskating is similar to wakeboarding in alot of ways, but it is a heck of alot more fun.
For your size, I would try to get a 39"-41" wakeskate. There are many diferent boards out there, so try to go somewhere that has a selection to choose from and try to demo first if at all possible. Good luck and have fun.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have sort of stayed away from the wakeskate as I have somehow formed the opinion that it is much easier to get injured.

It took a few broken leg and dislocated hip or knee articles to totally get the skate off my mind.

I don't know if I have convinced myself of something that has no basis...... Thoughts?

Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack...but it is relative to the post.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Now that I see the original post was back on January 2nd....it is not a hi-jack...it is starting a new thread....
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-12-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
E.J., all board sports are pretty dangerous, I blew my ACL/MCL wakeboarding, and I am convinced that being binded to the board had a lot to do with it. In doing some research after I got injured, I found the incidence of knee injuries is particularly high for ANY sport for which bindings are involved, this includes skiing. Both wakeskating and wakeboarding are a lot of fun, but you just have to learn the basics first.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-14-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
I did the acl/miniscus surgery last year due to wakeboarding. My feeling is the same about the bindings... Just bought a new Hyperlite Catalyst. I'll do just about anything to avoid another knee surgery, except quit riding completly.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-14-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
E.J., I would tend to disagree that it is much easier to get injured wakeskating. There are injuries that you can get wakeskating that you probably won't see on a wakeboard, but IMO, the list seems smaller. Just look at the pro boarders and skaters....we're always hearing of the boarders injuring themselves from a fall, but you rarely hear of a skater doing the same...In fact, Byerly is the only one I can think of. I can assure you that (at least for me) the falls do not hurt NEAR as much wakeskating as they do wakeboarding, and believe me, I've fallen with the best of them. I do, however, agree with cosmocat, that being attached to the board can cause more injuries than not being attached. I can't even think of a time I'd rather strap than wakeskate.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
I wonder if some of that is just due to the fact that there are 10X+ more wakeboarders than skaters....

Not at all worried about bumps and bruises, thinking major stuff. I am too old to dislocate a knee.....
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-15-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
I thought about the difference in numbers, but I am talking about the extreme upper tier of each sport where there really aren't that many more boarders than skaters.

I'd still be more worried about knee probs on a board. I'm too old to think about this stuff too (late 30s). I do some moderate working out in the evenings when I can and really try not to do something extremely stupid on the water. But your feet come off the board when you fall, freeing your knees up to be in a much safer position than when bound. Anyway, just my opinions. I just much prefer not being strapped down.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-15-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
I am in the same situation (mid-30's) and after having both ACL's re-constructed from wakeboarding, I took up skating full time several years ago. I have had a few injuries (board to head,grip burn, etc...), but find the falls much more forgiving for the same reasons stated above.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-15-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
E.J.,

Plan a trip down here to SoCal and let's go skating.

dtw.