Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-16-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
Posted on www.TheMalibuCrew.com Forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP1_P...=youtu.be&hd=1

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...ith-surf-gate/
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
I don't know surf wakes but it doesn't look outstanding. Looks pretty good for only 800 pounds total over stock and it all being even. What does wedge at max mean? All the way down or in the farthest position back while still being able to drive and use it? I wonder if that is why the wave looks kind of short and is crumbling over some?
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-16-2012, 8:51 PM Reply   
I just rigged a 13 MKZ yesterday, we had 2200# in the back n 400# up front + stock ballast and the wake is chest high, loonnngggg, and the push is unreal.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-16-2012, 9:19 PM Reply   
Chest high? Are you 4' tall or are you saying that it's producing a 4.5' wave?

I'm not calling bs, but.... oh wait yes I am.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2012, 10:47 PM Reply   
^^^ ya I want pics!
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-17-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
I honestly think my Tige R20's wakesurf wake is bigger than that, with incredible push.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
I think the point is how convenient it is, not so much that the wave is huge. I love surfing but, it can really be very inconvenient having to move weight and people around, especially when you have goofy and regular footers in the boat. I'm excited to see this in action.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-17-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
what is the cost for this option? I honestly cant see spending more than 1k for it. It is as easy as emptying one side, and filling the other side. Two buttons and 2 minutes. (as long as you have enough built in ballast)
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-17-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
3K for this option!
Plus you still need to weigh your boat with as much weight as you normally would, except this time it is all in the stern vs one side. This enables you to switch sides quickly. the boat doesn't list, but it does 'Crab walk" some.

As mentioned above...2600lbsLBS!!!! plus stock,in a Malibu is 1250...Almost 4000lbs in weight!!!

I am sure it is a great wake!!
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       08-17-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Yeah it's not like the surf gate is making a wake "chest high". It's the 4,000 lbs of ballast. The surf gate is just making it easier for a goofy rider to get out there quicker than normal if a regular rider was just out there. It's definitely a convenient feature though.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-17-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
The wave in that video looks real weak. Maybe with a rider on it it would be different, but that vid def isn't something to brag about.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-17-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slax303 View Post
Yeah it's not like the surf gate is making a wake "chest high". It's the 4,000 lbs of ballast. The surf gate is just making it easier for a goofy rider to get out there quicker than normal if a regular rider was just out there. It's definitely a convenient feature though.
Again, I'd like to see ANYONE, surf gate or not, post video of a "chest high" wave from a wakeboat. Video please, not an opportunistically snapped photo where the wave momentarily hits a double up. or where someone is bottom turning.

And by "chest high" I mean "chest high on a full grown man."

This is NOT a "chest high" wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DarNSfDDc
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-17-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
I don't care what anyone says that kid is awesome has groove and kicking it old school with DJ Rob Base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Again, I'd like to see ANYONE, surf gate or not, post video of a "chest high" wave from a wakeboat. Video please, not an opportunistically snapped photo where the wave momentarily hits a double up. or where someone is bottom turning.

And by "chest high" I mean "chest high on a full grown man."

This is NOT a "chest high" wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DarNSfDDc
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-17-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
Why do people keep thinking the real benefit of Surfgate the ability to change sides quickly/on the fly? It is neat that it can do that, but that is the stupid argument everyone wants to make the comparison with. That's a side benefit, not the reason to have the Surfgate.

The REAL benefit is being able to weight the boat evenly, not have the list it over, and no worries about where your passengers sit. Instead of that extra 750lb sack on your seat, it is just filling up in the existing sack in the locker you weren't previously using.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-17-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Why do people keep thinking the real benefit of Surfgate the ability to change sides quickly/on the fly? It is neat that it can do that, but that is the stupid argument everyone wants to make the comparison with. That's a side benefit, not the reason to have the Surfgate.

The REAL benefit is being able to weight the boat evenly, not have the list it over, and no worries about where your passengers sit. Instead of that extra 750lb sack on your seat, it is just filling up in the existing sack in the locker you weren't previously using.
I'm not sure that's exactly true. While they are touting it as "it doesn't matter where you sit", I don't think that you can just stuff all of your surf weight in the rear lockers and expect the exact same wave. You may not need to move your mid-ships bag from one side of the boat to the other, but you may still need one on the floor.

I think the real benefit IS accomodating goofy and regular riders very quickly. To me it is anyhow. No need to re-weight the boat between sets = awesome.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       08-17-2012, 4:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I'm not sure that's exactly true. While they are touting it as "it doesn't matter where you sit", I don't think that you can just stuff all of your surf weight in the rear lockers and expect the exact same wave. You may not need to move your mid-ships bag from one side of the boat to the other, but you may still need one on the floor.

I think the real benefit IS accomodating goofy and regular riders very quickly. To me it is anyhow. No need to re-weight the boat between sets = awesome.
Exactly. You can even hear in the video in the OP that the driver tells the guy who is filming to "move over here" into the corner of the boat to help get more weight over there
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-18-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
everyone is killing me with the b.s. about the surfgate which in my opinion is a great thing. yes it may not throw the biggest wave ever but its easy, and most of all safe. i have never really been nervous in our vlx with the rub rail under the water but its always in the back of my mind what if...

i don't care what boat your in or how good/big the wakeboarding wake or surf wave is any true lover of the sport is going to try and move people/weight around to try to get just a little better.

can you make a better wave with weigh rather than surfgate? maybee. does it really matter to the normal family that uses their boat for fun and relaxing? no. they will choose surfgate every time. i can tell you this, when its me and a couple of my hardcore riding friends we will spend the time to make the wake/wave perfect and we don't care if ballast is in the floor or on seats because we are only out to ride. on the other side when i am out with the family and friends with kids we only fill up stock ballast and ride what we get with that and have just as much fun if not more because its easier. i can almost bet that 85% of malibu's new boat buying customers are families so with that said great job malibu.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-18-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
I don't know that a chest high wake would be of benefit unless you have a 100' long pocket to go with it and get enough speed to use that chest high wake. What tricks are you doing that benefit from a tall wake? Surfgate, as mentioned above, was to not have to weight the boat to one side for surfing, just use your wakeboarding weight and flip a switch and you're surfing. that's my understanding anyway.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
Ya baby another surfgate video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbcA...&feature=g-upl
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Reagonal? lol.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-23-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
I've been out surfing 3 times now behind a 13 MXZ with SurfGate and I couldn't be more impressed. To be able to have goofy and regular surfers ride one after the other without switching weight around is awesome. From a drivers point of view to not have the boat listing is another huge plus.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
can you make a better wave with weigh rather than surfgate? maybee. does it really matter to the normal family that uses their boat for fun and relaxing? no. they will choose surfgate every time. i can tell you this, when its me and a couple of my hardcore riding friends we will spend the time to make the wake/wave perfect and we don't care if ballast is in the floor or on seats because we are only out to ride. on the other side when i am out with the family and friends with kids we only fill up stock ballast and ride what we get with that and have just as much fun if not more because its easier. i can almost bet that 85% of malibu's new boat buying customers are families so with that said great job malibu.

Exactly! I couldn't care less if it's not the biggest wave out there. I currently have a DD and being 220lbs the sweet spot is damn small which makes it really hard for my friends +/- the same weight to learn how to surf. I also find I have to drive in circles to get the best wave so at this point anything will be a step up from what I currently rock. Having a 4 month old currently and all my friends with little ones I want something I can set up quick and not have bags all over the place when they are in the boat.
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
I was actually more UNimpressed with the amount of exhaust in the video. There's been multiple posts regarding no noticeable exhaust in boats with cats--what's the deal on this one?!
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-23-2012, 5:49 PM Reply   
guess I should have got out the tape measure before I said "chest high"... it's the best setup I've rode/drove, I'll measure tomorrow after my surf set..actually I'll just take a wake set 30 seconds later..

^CRITICS
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
Brian, I have never noticed exhaust fumes on the Cat boats i've been behind.

Local dealer here said $2500 for the option. Is it 2500 or 3k? Anybody know.