Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-14-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
So it's getting cold...er and we're starting to get a little concerned about leaving the boat outside. It fits in the garage and all, but we have to let a bunch of air out of the tires to get the tower through the door, so it's a big pain. Does anyone have any advice for small heaters we could put in the engine compartment to keep things good while temps dip for a couple hours overnight while not burning up the boat in the driveway?

Also - does anyone know the height of an 05 X2 with the tower folded down? Boat is getting traded off soon, so we may not have to worry about it if the new one fits.....
Old    K.B.C.            10-14-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
just put a garage lamp in it
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-14-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
How about use a 2 TON jack to put the trailer on and put it inside. There are some guys in Vegas that put the trailer on this jack and push it right in and clear the tower. I would rather it inside then having a fire hazard over night.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
I have a Boatsafe Jr bilge heater in my Vride. It's bolted to the engine compartment wall. So when I pull the boat out of the lake, I drain everything, cover the boat & plug the heater in. It has a thermostat in it & is comes on at whatever temp.
Seems to work fine.

I've used the shop lights for years but occasionally would find they had burned out in the middle of the night.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-14-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
Bill you don't have any pics of your setup do you?

i have a similar boat as you is why i ask. i think this might allow me to store my boat outside next to my garage instead of paying for costly indoor storage.

anyone have the current prices on these boatsafe bilge heaters???
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
I'll get a couple of pics tomorrow evening, TJ. I bought this one off Ebay for like $150. Typically their closer to $300 or $400.

I keep the boat covered, in an RV parking space, outside, for the fall, which is like 60s during the day, and maybe high 20s at night. I have indoor storage for winter, probably late Nov. or early Dec. I'll run the heater both outdoor & in.

Another brand to check out is by Xtreme heaters.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 14, 2008)
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-15-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Josh, I've ridden with those guys in vegas, Jeremy, and John, great guys. The boat owner just doesn't want to go to all that hastle as we don't have much time to get to the lake after we get off work, so things have to hook up quick, that's all.

Very interested in those pics from Bill as well....
Old     (formulad97)      Join Date: May 2007       10-15-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catalog/product_16152_36_GoldenRod_Dehumidifier_38_Watts.h tml
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Putting a dehumidifier in your boat is for a different purpose than a heater. Keeping the boat interior dry while it's in storage keeps the mold & mildew to a minimum. I use this one from West Marine. Right now we have very dry weather (high desert) so it's not really needed. But it does get cold at night so the heater is a must, especially if you have not fully winterized the boat yet. I drained the engine, shower, heater & v-drive & will probably continue to get out & ride on the weekends for another month or two.
I should be able to get a pic or two of that heater tonite.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
I'm not sure I would worry about it.... it needs to be below freezing for a lot longer than a few hours for a boat with a cover on it to freeze.
Old    murrayair            10-15-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
I have put a 100 watt (or better) light bulb in the engine compartment in years past. It seemed to work pretty well, but I suppose if it got cold enough (like way below freezing) it might not be enough.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
You'd be willing to risk a $4000 or $5000 motor on that?
Guess I'm just over-cautious.... from knowing too many people who have dealt with cracked blocks, water pumps, heaters, etc.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-15-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
Bill, what one did you buy the 250 watt or the 750?
Old     (brian_yow)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-15-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Check out Xtremeheaters.com

These are much newer technology than the boat safe heaters and much more compact also said to be a lot more efficient and safer. They also have a really great quick release bracket for easy in and out and can be mounted in any position.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-15-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
heated blanket?
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-15-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Live in CO and we just use a garage lamp for ours...think its a 100+ watt bulb...boat is outside haven't had a problem
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Upload

Heres the Boatsafe Jr.... the 250 watt version rated for up to 24' boats. The larger one says it's rated for boats up to 42'.

I looked for an Xtreme too. Only bought this one because the price was right. I suppose it would be good to be removable, but then again it's not really in the way of anything. If I really needed to pull it out for some reason, it comes out with the divider, has two screws to remove it from the divider.