Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    arkid            06-12-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
My son is 8 years old and weighs about 70lbs. I'm trying to figure which would be the best size board for him but can't get any straight answers from local stores.
I've been thinking around 109 to 124.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
My son was 10 when he started and weighed about 80 pounds. I tried to make him buy a board he could "grow" into and we got a 132. A few months later at a Hyperlite demo he rode a 124. I couldn't believe the difference in his ability to control the board in doing 180's and going w2w toeside. If cost is an issue go with used so you can replace in a year or 2. For your son I would think 118 to 124 max.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
I knew that I had a cool relative that was into wakeboarding!
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-12-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
My daughter rides a Liquid Force 118. She is 7 and weighs 60 pounds soaking wet. She is doing everything two wake. I am going to keep her there for another year or so. Keep in mind the bigger the board, the heavier. These young kids weigh so little and with board and bindings, it is like us older kids trying to ride with a set-up that weighs 50 pounds strapped to our feet. I would definately stay with the 118-119. try to demo the board if you can. My daughter used to ride a hyperlite board and switched to the LF, and there was even a weight difference in the same size board. The weight I feel is way more important than the size for someone that young. The 109 will be to small. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old    arkid            06-12-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
What speed do you go with your daughter?
My son has never tried yet and i'm not sure of the best way to ease him into it.
Any advice?
Thanks.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Taylor rides at 22.5 - 23.5 mph depending on line length. She uses a rope length of 65' when she is doing a competition run which includes everything 2 wake -180's, switch 180's , grabs, etc, then she has just started doing TS front rolls. When she plays she rides at 80' @ 23.5 mph going w2w both directions. She won't do any 180's at this length yet.
The way we got Taylor out was on skis. She started out at about 3 1/2 years old. Then moved to wakeboarding at age 5. You have to keep it FUN for them or they will be scared. What ability is you kid? Meaning does he like water? Does he like riding in a tube? Make it as comfortable as you can for them. Go whatever speed they feel comfortable with. Maybe get out on a line and ride beside them. If he /she has friends that do it, let him watch them. Seeing someone else do it and LIVE makes it much easier for them to decide they can also do it. Below is a link to my daughter riding. Hope this helps. Most important keep it fun for them.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/360-Picnic-Table_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=18468
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Paul- Sorry the link has been broken
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-13-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Paul....my son is 8, about the same size as your son and he rides the Hyperlite Motive 119. He got it for his birthday last July and spent the remainder of last summer and Fall just learning to get up and ride. This year already he's edging HS and TS aggresively, frontside boardslides, switch, lipslides, 1W heelside and toeside jumps, and started trying W2W this past weekend. The only thing I changed was to remove the stock fins and add some Hyperlite .7 metal A Fins. They still give him the grip he needs but will break free and keep him out of trouble. No fins was way too slick for him.

I pull him between 12 and 15 MPH.

DC

(Message edited by foxrepdc on June 13, 2006)