Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tdgalo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-11-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Can someone for the life of me, please explain the results:

Article on Alliance:
In running order, the final heat consisted of Nick Galotifiore, Adam Fields, Bob Soven, Adam Errington and Danny Harf. Nick led off with a Cab 540, then Adam Fields came off the dock and set the bar with a huge Pete 5 and a gigantic S Bend. Then in true BROstock and all-or-nothing fashion Bob Soven went out and attempted three 1080’s going down on all three, but the size and commitment was evident. Adam Errington up next stomped a 900 on his first hit then went 0 for 2 trying for a 1080. Finally Danny Harf went out as the sun began fade and fell on his first double up, landed his second but the boat was slow and he was offered a re-ride, on his re-ride he fell again, raising the tension on the dock and even leaving many fans believing that Adam Fields had clinched the $13,000 first place purse. Then the boat notified the dock that Danny had one more chance. As he has done at so many events, Danny excels in a pressure filled, all-or-nothing situation and he came back with a perfect toeside backside 720 sending the crowd into a frenzy and winning BROstock 2010.

Final Results

1 – Danny Harf
2 – Adam Fields
3 – Adam Errington
4 – Bob Soven
5 – Nick Galotifiore
Old     (tdgalo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-11-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgalo View Post
Can someone for the life of me, please explain the results:

Article on Alliance:
In running order, the final heat consisted of Nick Galotifiore, Adam Fields, Bob Soven, Adam Errington and Danny Harf. Nick led off with a Cab 540, then Adam Fields came off the dock and set the bar with a huge Pete 5 and a gigantic S Bend. Then in true BROstock and all-or-nothing fashion Bob Soven went out and attempted three 1080’s going down on all three, but the size and commitment was evident. Adam Errington up next stomped a 900 on his first hit then went 0 for 2 trying for a 1080. Finally Danny Harf went out as the sun began fade and fell on his first double up, landed his second but the boat was slow and he was offered a re-ride, on his re-ride he fell again, raising the tension on the dock and even leaving many fans believing that Adam Fields had clinched the $13,000 first place purse. Then the boat notified the dock that Danny had one more chance. As he has done at so many events, Danny excels in a pressure filled, all-or-nothing situation and he came back with a perfect toeside backside 720 sending the crowd into a frenzy and winning BROstock 2010.

Final Results

1 – Danny Harf
2 – Adam Fields
3 – Adam Errington
4 – Bob Soven
5 – Nick Galotifiore
Nicks other 2 tricks were also attempts at 1080's
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Danny landed a toeside 1080...

Last edited by wakeboardern1; 07-11-2010 at 7:44 AM. Reason: added video
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
Boat going to slow on the second pass? You mean the Perfect Pass speed control that was correct for the first run was some how not correct for the second attempt so he gets 4 attempts? Is this a common situation? Did anyone else in the competition gets an extra pass because of boat speed? Nothing against Mr. Harf at all, just a confusing ending?
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-11-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
He does ride for monster after all. So does Bob tho.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-11-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Driver might not have been using Perfect Pass. A lot of guys don't use PP, especially for just driving double ups.
Old     (tdgalo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-11-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
I'm referring my post specifically to the trick Nick landed vs Bob not landing anything?
How does that qualify Bob to get 4th
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
my mistake, that was round one. interesting that he'd throw a 1080 in round one,but yeah.

Is there even a prize for 4th and fifth place? And it's not a pro tour stop that figures into final standings for KoW (at least I don't think it does, I could be wrong), so getting angry and upset about the results seems somewhat pointless.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-11-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
A few years ago when Nautique Nationals were down in Kenosha, WI, Amber WIng was given a re-run after the speed was drastically off. And those Nautiques have Zero-Off speed control. So it can and does occasionally happen.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
That vid shows him doing a 1080, not a 720.
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-11-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
from Bull Shoals Brostock 2010
Attached Images

Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-11-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
Adam FIelds Killed It!!
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-11-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
fact. adam field threw down!!! that s-bend was boss!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-11-2010, 11:43 PM Reply   
looks HUGE!
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-12-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
I thought Adam had that in the bag for sure. I was wondering why Danny got so many runs. I love harf but personally though Adam threw the best run in the finals.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-12-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Here Danny's 720 from the opposite side of the lake...
Danny Harf Winning Brostock 2010

I noticed at earlier in the competition the boat looked like it just died while it was pulling one of the riders and just nose dived. Dont know what happened then, but Danny's run might not have been the only time the boat had a problem.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
PP and Zero Off don't drive double ups, my StarGazer always acts odd when turning around
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-12-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
^^ Yes and no. I have found that when I turn the boat too sharp it bogs down fast and then speeds up once I level off. But if I take a wide and gradual turn, I can throw a good DU with PP on.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
Does it not slow down while the rider would be 2/3 through the air? That's my experience with SG. I'm still messing around with mine, and figuring some things out
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-12-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
Well, I can't speak about SG, have the paddle version. I have never messed with a GPS-fed version, what would cause it to slow, with the rider in the air?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
My guess is it's gassing coming out of the turn, and get's it up to speed, then backs it off a bit. it's not drastic, but I wouldn't want to be the rider feeling it slow down and risk casing it
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-12-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
What works best for me, and again you need a bit of room for this, is to make your initial 90 degree turn and travel for a bit to give the boat time to adjust speed for the turn. Once I feel the boat's good (back to normal speed), I then make my turn back towards the original wake (before the first turn) and since I have a bit more distance, this gives the boat time to get back to true speed. While making this final approach, I make sure to keep the wheel relatively straight so my speed is true.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-12-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
I usually have to throttle over the PP system when I drive double ups.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-12-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Neither paddle wheel based PP or SG will both provide an un-assisted good quality double up unless driven in a really wide circle with a really long straight approach to the DU. The paddle wheel will send an optimistic or pessimistic speed when turning depending on whether it is a left or right hand turn in relation to where the paddle wheel is placed causing the PP to slow down or go faster than set speed. You can correct for this by throttling up or down a little in the turn. I would guess that SG uses some interpolation in their software to adjust the positioning / speed relative to changes in direction which is not instantaneous causing it to act funny in turns. The tighter the turn, the more off your boat will be from the set speed when approaching the DU. Once the boat straightens out, both will pick up true speed fairly quickly but if you are going too fast or too slow out of the turn, the boat will adjust speed and feel like it is stalling or lurching to the rider as you approach the DU which is not a comforting feeling as a rider. PP can overshoot or undershoot the speed when going through this speed adjustment phase out of the turn depending on the settings, prop, weight, etc. so the speed can be considerably off from what you think you are going.

If you want the most consistent DUs fully automated, I have found using RPM mode to provide the most consistent speeds through turns and DUs. When using the PP in a speed mode, I always adjust the throttle up or down in the turn to try to keep the true speed more consistent through the turn so the boat doesn't have to catch up very much out of the turn.

If the boat nose dived, someone could have thrown a towel or sat their bum over where the SG pick up was. I have been the cuplrit of this once.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-12-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
On my 04 210, the perfect pass is actually really good for double ups whether you are in a tight cove or in the open water and have a little more room. In the cove, I generally hit the throttle on the turn to keep the speed because with all of the weight it slows down way to much, then as I finish the turn I pull off the throttle getting it to click into speed then generally manually reduce the speed slightly as the rider is hitting the d-up because we ride at about 24, and I find that it is better to hit the double up slightly slower at 23. So the perfect pass is great for helping me get the boat to the exact speed after the turn where I had just been almost full throttle to now pulling back and setting in the speed faster than I would be able to manually because I just wait for the sound of that beep. The sooner I hear the beep, the sooner I can get the speed exactly where I want it. I had an 01 xstar previously with no perfect pass, and definitely think I drive a better double up now with the perfect pass. What not having perfect pass was better for was triple ups and triple up whips. I have driven boats with the newer perfect pass systems and they do not allow enough manual control for me. For the newer boats, I have to turn the perfect pass off. I pride myself on driving an awesome double up and getting the rider absolutely booted in the air with minimal effort. If you go for the third roller on one of my double ups, be prepared for the wake to be up to your shoulders (if you are short 5'6 like me). Most riders that I ride with generally hit the second roller for an inverted move or a spin and the first roller for a big glide into the flats. Now my triple up first roller is bigger than my double up 3rd roller. I personally am afraid to hit triple ups behind my boat because of my knees lol.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-15-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Bro-stock was a disappointment. It should have sign board to display (or some other way to clearly tell us) who is the current rider

But otherwise, what an event !!! Sad it had to be a competition because -- 100% of the audience were winners. Why not distribute that win-win-win-.... to the competitors?

Evidently the field was in flux as the time drew near. But on that Saturday, the field included great names not only from wake alone but skate and cable also. We all watched James Balzer with interest but that was early in the day when the PA system carried (it got progressively drowned out as the day went on).

In fact, in the 1st heat, somebody hit a wrapped BS possibly 720 but maybe a 360. And we all thought it was Shane Bonifay. More likely it was Shawn Watson.

I would have particularly like to have known when Aaron Reed, Ben Greenwood and Tom Fooshee were riding to see how they adapted their backgrounds and emphases to DU. It was no disgrace that anybody didn’t advance. It was all grace that all gave it their all.

Congrats to Danny Harf. He’s healthy and killed it. Congrats to Adam Fields. He certainly deserved no less than 2nd (assuming it’s good to rank anybody in the field). He gave 2-fers on most of his rides. He’d do a wake-something trick even before his DU. Yes, as others have mentioned, his front mobe got a very loud cheer (see pic above). Congrats to all, from junior mens rider Nick Galotifiore for showing the skill of the junior stock to every other competitor who pumped their arms during their circuit to amp up the audience.

See ya there next year.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-15-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
Vid is definitely a 10.
Old     (JohnM)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-15-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
Debbie,

Did you see the judges response to the equivalent thread on Alliance. One of the judges actually commented on their reasoning.

If you are looking for the court of public opinion. I personally have never judged pro events just grass roots events so I can't really comment on the judging format or spirit of this event. In the grass roots formats that I have encountered only tricks landed are considered for points/position.