Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skibumdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-18-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
My boys want me to trade my Maibu Response LX for a wakeboard boat. I don't know much about them except they are High dollor. Which boat drives and have the best wakes. I would perfer a 2007 or older boat. I was in an 2005 Mastercraft X-10 last weekend. It had great wakes but the boat would porpose (HOP) badly at speeds over 28MPH. I didn't like that. What should i look for with a good ride ,drives good and great wakes?
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       04-18-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
i would look at 210 nautiques, vlx malibus, 21v , 22ssv, & 24ssv supras, x1 & xstar, lsv & xlv moombas. you'll be able to find some good deals on all of these boats. i've owned several supras so thats the direction i would recommend u look, but would also have no problem owning any of the boats i mentioned above. i would also make sure that i liked the local dealer of the brand i decided to purchase. u dont want to have headaches from bad service issues. good luck!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-18-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Pass the popcorn please!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-18-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
The Response will produce a nice wake at boarding speeds with a wedge and a 500 pound fatsac up in the bow. Not sure what year you have or if a wedge is even available but I rode behind one for a few winters set up this way and it was decent.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
Are you giving up skiing?

What year is the Response, does it have the wedge or the bracket?

If you like a Malibu then the VTX should be your first choice for a good boarding boat that is still very skiable. i have heard that the 247 also has a good ski wake but it's going to be harder to prop so it skis well and gets out of the water for boarding. Both of these are newer hull styles.

If your budget cannot afford either of these then you might consider a first gen X-Star/X2/X1. This is a prostar running surface with a V-drive powerplant. i have driven/skied/boarded behind my neighbors and I think it is an excellent crossover boat.

I own a Nautique 211, the crossover answer from Nautique. It's good at most activities, not great at any. I like it just enough to keep it but might make a different choice if I were starting over. The first year of this hull was 2004.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2010, 5:10 AM Reply   
Mike
Where did you hear the 247 has a nice ski wake? At 4000lbs dry weight I cant believe it has a ski able wake?
Old     (skibumdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-20-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
I don't want to give up skiing, it's just getting to be all wakeboarders in my boat. The 2000 Response LX make a good wake both ways. But has no room. I have to turn people away. My boys want to invite all their buddies. My best dealers in my area are Malibu,Axis and Supra. i love the Supra Worlds boat.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Try EPIC... look at the EPIC thread on here....
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
I miss the days when Dan Dulong would chime in right about now.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
tige is the best value for dollars spent . i have a 2007 tige 22ve with taps . it drives smooth at 44 mph with or without my 2100lbs of ballast.with taps and the convex v hull you can adjust the wake as steep or as rampy as you want for wakeboarding.my boat seats 11 adults comfortable and stil has room for all those life vests 2 sets of skis 2 slalom skis 2 kneeboards 4 wakeboards and 6 boat bumpers. all of them stored out of the way.look at tige.com

Last edited by cwb4me; 04-20-2010 at 7:19 PM. Reason: missed letter
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-20-2010, 7:26 PM Reply   
go check out an axis a22 (could prob get a close-to-new 2009 for 30sumthing)
malibu vlx 05 or newer has amazing amount of space.
supra 24ssv or whatever, has a sick wake too. I have never ridden the 22, supposedly the same hull just shorter, but i have heard from some riders that it is a steeper wake for some reason.

what is your price range, and do you have any length requirements?
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-22-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
If you want the "BEST" wakeboard boat, then go with what the "BEST" wakeboarders ride behind.................................. and thats the Super Air Nautique 230!

I wish i had one!!
but Mastercrafts are pretty sweet too.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Jeremy,
A wakecraft would be perfect in this situation. I will admit that some die hard skiers have told me that the lip is small at course speed but it is very hard. I hope all boats are considered, driven and rode behind before a decision is made.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-22-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmurray12 View Post
If you want the "BEST" wakeboard boat, then go with what the "BEST" wakeboarders ride behind.................................. and thats the Super Air Nautique 230!

I wish i had one!!
but Mastercrafts are pretty sweet too.
Yeah. Buy the boat that sponsors the best wakeboarders, they are no doubt the best!!!!

Hopefully if you ever see them in person they will thank you for employing them when you overpaid for your boat.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-23-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
What is your budget how big is your crew and do you want to do multiple things are just wakeboarding? I rode behind a new X Star for the first time and that is not a beginner wakeboard boat. The stock wake without ballast is big. Also not very spacious inside. HOWEVER, if your hardcore wakeboarder that thing is a machine!!!! Not been behind a 230 yet but heard its pretty the same as the X Star but a bit steeper.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
no v-drive will drive as good as your direct drive and skiing will suck in comparison.

the x-10 was only porpoising because of the weight distribution.......and, again, it's a v-drive not a direct drive which is naturally more balanced.

make the extra riders wait on shore and tell your boys to be happy they even got a boat that is already pretty darn good for boarding when set up for it...............................good luck, sir.
Old     (wisc4fun)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
Which boat holds resale value the best?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
he is looking for an '07 or older to save money so my answer, wisc4fun, is: the boat that has been well maintained.

I would not exclude other so-called "lower end with lower resale" brands if the boat was maintained and fluids changed regularly. hard to tell sometimes, but if you buy it from the original owner you can usually make a good judgement.

of course, warranty and service could also be a big consideration...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-23-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
The X1 does both very well.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-23-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
I have a 03 Response LX, but frequently ride in a few boats that you would like. But first, you gotta gives us a few things like price range, How many people you would like to be on the boat...you said you don't want to give up skiing, do YOU want a vdrive or is it your kids? The RLX is an amazing boat, just lacks the room. When we wakeboard, it's usually a 4-5 man crew max, wedge is always down, take out the back seat and put a 680# seat bottom sac in it's place (you can sit on it just fine), I put a 580# sac on each side of the engine, and 2, 350# sacs in the bow. It's alot for that boat but it puts out an awesome wake. If you don't want that much weight then I'd put the two sacs in the bow, the sac in place of the rear seat and get a jump seat or two for a couple of people to sit by the engine. If I have alot of people goin then I'll just use the wedge, maybe a sac up front and we'll trick ski all day.

As far as other boats, i am keeping my boat probably another year then I'm going to be on the search for a 2000-2003 SANTE. That is my fav wake of all time! A buddy of mine has an 01 and I love that thing. Another buddy of mine has a 02 xstar. It's nice. To me it feels a little smaller for some reason than the 210. And even sacked out I love the 210 wake better. But like I said just need some more info on what you're lookin for. If you wanna see what your RLX can do, go to the "what boat do you use" thread, close to the bottom on the 2nd page I believe and I have pics of my wake.
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
Test drive as many boats as you can you'll know the boat when you start driving it
Old     (DwightSchrute)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-23-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Great info, lets see i think every boat that is built for water sports was mentioned... way to help him narrow it down. I guess opinions are like a$$holes...
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       04-23-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
I'll throw in my 2 cents. It sounds like you want a Malibu or a Supra since you said they are the best dealers in your area. You said that you want a good amount of room so you don't have to turn people away. Clearly you need a V-drive for the seating capacity and better wake for boarding. The windshield on the newer Malibus sits farther forward then any other brand creating the most room behind the windshield of any other boat. Those are all facts.

I don't know what size boat you are looking for.

Supra models:
I wanted a ton of room and got a Supra Launch 24ssv gravity games boat. Tons of room and great wake. A 22ssv will also throw a great wake but is a bit smaller then the 24' but still plenty big (they changed the hull 22ssv in 2007). The 21V is also a very nice boat with a great wake. You can't go wrong with any of them - just pick your size.

Malibu line:
Again for the most room you want a Malibu 247LSV (huge) but a 23 LSV will have a good amount of room too. The over all amount of room is comperable to the Supra boats but Malibu will have more room behind the window. If you want a smaller boat the wakesetter VLX (21') will fit the bill there.

All the above will have more room then your current boat and throw a better wake.

Supra's have more factory ballast and Malibu has the wedge. They both use the same Indmar engine, the same transmission, and same v-drive units. They both throw great wakes. I had a tough choice deciding between the two. I have good Mastercraft, Natique, Malibu, Supra, and Moomba dealers here and it came down to Malibu and Supra for me so I don't think you can go wrong with either (since those are the only good dealers in your area). Just pick your size boat and then it is personal preference to decide between the Malibu and Supra. The above are the models to look at.