Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
Ok I have taken my boat out a couple of times this year and both times the boat has a time where it would not crank. It usually cranks fine without hesitation but a couple of times I would turn the key and nothing. The motor would not even turn over. The radio and gauges and everything work fine it's just the motor will not fire. If I keep trying the motor will finally crank and then it's like nothing is wrong. The motor is the Mercruiser 350 mag. Also everytime I flip the switch to turn on my engine compartment blower the little individual breaker for that switch flips. I'm not sure if the two problems are interrelated in anwyay, but I was thinking they are both electrical. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on or anything I could try to fix it?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
It may not be registering that it's in neutral. I had the same problem on an older boat and that was the issue.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
Try moving the gas leaver to make sure it is in the right position.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-14-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
If it's the Morse throttle lever you have, it needs to be dead center neutral to start, try giving it a little wiggle next time it happens to see if that's all it is.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-14-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
its the neutral safety switch. found on the transmission. to test it, have someone try to crank the boat while you jiggle the shifter cable forward and back. find where she likes it, then adjust the shifter cable right there on the transmission.
.edit.
not sure if your breaker has anyting ($5, anyting? lol) to do with it, but it sounds like the NSS is why she won't crank sometimes.

(Message edited by denverd1 on March 14, 2008)
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-16-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing about the throttle lever. It acts just like if it does when you try to crank it and it's not in neutral. Thanks for the help. Does anyone have any other ideas about the blower? Right now I just kept the engine hatch open for a few minutes to make sure all the fumes are gone before cranking the boat.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-16-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
I had a small amount of corrosion on my positive batt terminal and it wouldn't let the boat start, this is after we cruised about ten miles down the delta trouble free. I scraped off the greenish corrosion and it worked fine, time for a new battery though. I wouldn't think a low voltage problem due to corrosion would pop your blower breaker though but who knows, electrical stuff is scary to me after I lit my car on fire in the garage after doing an alternator swap.....
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2008, 1:41 AM Reply   
yeah try all those and my favorite one on my old sanger was the started would always freeze and everything worked but the engine wouldnt crank. i i would take my old freind the malit and hit the hell out of it and eventually it would come lose. give it a wack:-)