Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (zam)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-15-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
I wear contacts, and in the past when wakeboarding/skiing I just get bombarded with water in my eyes and fear losing my contacts.

What do you contact wearers do?

Do these help?
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Jet_Gladiator_Sport_Goggles&r=vi ew&i=29994&aID=

Or do I need something even moreso like:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Jet_Gladiator_Goggles&r=view&i=3 5536&aID=

OR

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Spex_Polarized_Goggles&r=view&i= 94459&aID=
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-15-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
Never had a problem with contacts. Once the water got in my eye and moved it out of place, but that's about it...
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
I take some pretty gnarly face plants, and have never had a problem with losing contacts!! Just bring an extra pair and some saline if you're really worried about it, and throw em in the glove box, chances are it won't happen, you usually close your eyes right before you hit water, and if it does, contacts are like 2 bucks a piece!!

It's better to take a risk of losing one than to look like a goon!!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-15-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
"It's better to take a risk of losing one than to look like a goon!!"

I don't laugh out loud reading these forums very often, but you got me buddy!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
i don't know if it is just me but any time i shower with contacts or swim with contacts the water seems like it actually dries the contacts up a bit and makes them even stickier or "suction-ier" on my eyes and harder to loose or even pull out for that matter... which seems oposite of what i would have originally expected.

I only lost one contact in all the ten years or so that i have boarded... and it wasnt to a face plant either. I lost it before my face even got really wet. A tiny drop went in my eye while carving and the contact flew out of my eye when the wind caught it after i blinked funny or something.

Anyway, if you feel the same as me about contacts getting stickier when your ALL WET, then just make sure to get your face (specifically around your eyes) good and wet before your first run and you will never loose them even on a face plant. Ive had several face plants (eyes open) and never lost one

ALSO keep an older pair OR TWO of contacts (don't throw them out yet) just for the lake... so if you do loose them you wont feel bad about them becoming fish bait.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Ohh yea... i forgot... i actually tried some cheap goggles like some you posted a link too (i no longer use them) and the water spots that WILL get on them within minutes is really annoying and makes it just as hard to see (depending on your vision needs)

i immigine goggles would hurt on a face plant too
Old     (zam)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-15-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
OK...

I really want them to keep the water out of my face.. and I mainly have that problem when water skiing, and cutting hard, or getting out of the water.

I've never lost a contact, but am sick of getting water in my eyes.

I was really hoping for a recommendation on a pair rather than a discussion on whether i needed them or not.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-15-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
I have lost plenty! I have had my eyes peeled back on funny landings and all kinds of stuff. Just one of those things if youre gonna ride..you will eventually loose some!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-15-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
For what it's worth I wore some like the first ones you posted for about two months after eye surgery. Figured better safe than ruining a large investment on my eyes. They looked stupid, but worked. Finally stopped wearing them when the came of and sunk.

Previously when I wore contacts I never wore goggles.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
IN that case...
of the three you listed:

Id go for these
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Jet_Gladiator_Goggles&r=view&i=3 5536&aID=

or these
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Spex_Polarized_Goggles&r=view&i= 94459&aID=

JUST FROM READING THEM... Note that the second one says: "ideal for contact wearers"

the first ones you listed (that i excluded) looked too much like "bug eyes"... but if you like that style, great, get 'em!!!

the other ones are larger and look like they would be least view obstructing
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Wooooahhh... wait a sec... actually the "ideal for contacts" ones are A LOT more expensive than the other two. I know I personally am on a tight budget so considering that i'd take the "bugg eyed" ones over the others :-)

looks like doug gave a testimonial on an experience with similar ones too... another plus
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-15-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Yah i wouldn't wear goggles though i lose them all the time. I really only lose them when I'm riding longer rope lengths at faster speeds 27-28mph. No big deal though i just keep a couple in the boat and just throw em back in and keep going. Though i hate losing them while contest riding lol pretty much ride the rest of the pass/passes with one eye
Old     (zam)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-15-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
yeah, the last ones are the most expensive... but they do seem nicer.

I'm not really on a budget, but I don't like wasting money when something cheaper would do.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-15-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
i lost 3 pairs of contacts on 3 consecutive days trying to learn batwings...hahhaha
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-15-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
or you can be like my wife thats making me pay for her lasik surgery.. lol
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-15-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
It seems like every few times I ride I loose one or a hole pair. I just keep extras with me. Good thing I wear dailys.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2008, 10:54 PM Reply   
LASIK is the best, totally worth it!
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
My son was boarding and took a nasty face plant, as he was climbing back in the boat, his upper eyelid was was inside out and his contact was stuck to his cheek...ouch!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-16-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
I had an eye peeling fall several years ago. the one and only lens I ever lost while riding. found it a week later folded clean in half, way back in my eye. was the grossest thing I have ever seen.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-16-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
I rock contacts every time I ride, never use any eye protection. Its really not a problem for me. The occasional double up will spray my face down then I am blind for a second, but beyond that they are cool.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
I wear contacts and never had a problem, but I always have and extra pair in the boat. My buddy wears contacts and when he is playing(surfing or wakeboarding) in the water he wears swimming goggles. He looks funny but he says it works.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-16-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
My buddy has one fake eye, that he's concerned about losing in a hard crash. To replace it is about $3,000 so losing it is not an option. So he wears swimming goggles but he does complain about the spots and fogging up. I am going to have to tell him about those goggles from overton's. Has anyone here actually tried them? How are they?
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
Solution: Don't fall ;)
Old     (wake_passion)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
I have lost a couple but its not the most common thing for me to lose one. Having a good crash is alot more common for me lol!!!
Old     (boardn197)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-16-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
Never a problem wakeboarding, but I know what you mean waterskiing. The only time I have problems though is when I'm getting up into a head wind and the spray is in my face. So now I just keep my eyes closed until I'm up and the spray is down. Sorry could never bring myself to wearing goggles on the water.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-19-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
I have lost a lot of contacts crashing. I used to wear goggles but got tired of the fogging and losing them. Actually the kids would borrow them and I would never see them again. Now I just wear cheap sunglasses and that usually keeps the spray out of my eyes. I don't think I lost any this last summer except for when I was sitting on the stern and reached for my beer and fell in. Saved the beer though.