Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (scilost)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-24-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
Hey-
1) What grabs are the most natural for a HS backroll

2) how do you not revert the roll if you grab with your back hand.

Doug
Old     (ryman32)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
For me a nose grab was the easiest. I also grab them indy but its a lot harder and doesn't looks as cool either.
How to not go revert: You need to let up on your edge as you get to the bottom of the wake and make sure you ride all the way up the wake. This will create the enough slack in the rope so you don't feel the tension thats makes your body want to go to revert.
I had a very good back roll before I tried gabbing and landed the nose grab on my second try. Makes the trick look and feel 10x better.

Upload
Upload
Old    sperbet            09-25-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
what kind of backroll do you do? Traditional or Mexi? This will make a big difference in which grab is easiest.
Old     (scilost)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-25-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
I actually can do it both ways, i learned mexi first thinking i was doing it correct, then i met some people who told me how to do it the traditional way, now i always throw it the traditional way.

I can also revert it so if that is a better starting point then i could do that.

it was sort of a pain to teach myself the mechanics of the traditional roll after first learning it mexi through trial and error, so i would rather go with a natural progression, if you know what i mean.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
i would say that the easiest is a Lein grab...rear hand, heel side, just outside your rear leg.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
if you wanna throw it to revert i would do a Method grab.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-25-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Yeah, how do you guys change your approach and edge to get the grab on a R2R? I've been trying but can never get the grab. I'm trying to grab method.
Old    sperbet            09-25-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
that would be melan on both mentioned above.

the mexi is better for rear hand grabs and the traditional is better for front hand grabs. I do a mexi and the stale grab has been the easiest for me.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-25-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
a front hand grab seems like it would be easier to me, but when I tried to grab melon, I could not resist the pull to revert.

That said, it was almost a big sick melon roll to re :-) one of the crasiest feelings I've hand a a board to date. Lots of line tention and rotating around one arm. definitly need to try it again.
Old     (scilost)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-26-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for all suggestions, sounds like there are many grabs that are conducive to rolls and r2r's. Hopefully it all works out this weekend.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-27-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
I like a nose grab BR and R2R, You can really poke it out and add some steeze to it. I think a melon in a lil easier to grab. The trick to not going R2R on a grabbed BR, I try and trow it more over the top,(like a reviser cartwheel, and a R2R more out the back like a normal backroll.) How ever you grab it make sure you get it right off the wake or you will never get a soild grab. Good luck They are both super fun tricks.

Here are 2 pic of my nosegrab R2R
Upload
Upload
Photos by Walt

Here is a nose grab backroll
Upload
Photo by Scott
Upload
Photo by Walt