Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2003, 7:54 AM Reply   
About a week ago I had the chance to get a quick look around the Sanger factory. I was amazed at the great lengths these builders go through to deliver the finsihed product. I learned so many interesting things in just the few minutes I had. Unless you've had the chance to tour a facility such as this, it's hard to imagine the process from start to finish. I'm meeting with the Sanger rep. for more extensive tour and thought that some of the wakeworld readers would enjoy an article complete with visuals.

So here's your chance, what would you be most interested in seeing/reading regarding the boat making process?

B-

(Message edited by Barry on March 20, 2003)
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
I would be curious to see what they do in their construction process that can be considered better / above and beyond what would be done on a production series / off-the-mill / cheaper, say, I/O. Whether that would be materials, contruction techniques, etc.

Thanks for asking. Looking forward to seeing your article.
Old    bobbymucic            03-20-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
I'd be most interested in their quality control and testing, especially in the final phases of production/release.
Old    calawho            03-20-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
what- is it like a sawmill and a couple of lumberjacks?
Old    riverotter            03-20-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
I would be most interested in hearing about the individual components that go into the boats. i.e. glass, foam in seats, upholstry, wiring etc.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
I would really like to know what goes into hull design. Do they do tank testing, CAD or something else? Do they have a program to develop new hulls or do they continue for the same hull for a number of years and then decide to update at that stage?
Old    skionone            03-20-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
I think the most important would be the attention to detail put in by the workers. I think it is fair to say that guages, vinyl, carpet, resign, fibergalss, etc... are all very similar, NOT THE SAME, but very similar. But how is the boat actually but together.
Are you going to any other plant? It may be hard to do a fair evaluation without having something to compare it to.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2003, 3:34 PM Reply   
Get them to explain why they still use wood stringers.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2003, 6:33 PM Reply   
Neelley, while I fully intend to address that issue, I'm still a bit hesitant for fear of waking a sleeping giant.

Bill, how the boat is put together is exactly what I'm targeting. I'd like to do this all in one trip so more than likely I'll drill Scott on the materials as well. The Malibu factory is about 20 miles north of me, perhaps I can tour their facility in the future. What I don't want to do is to compare one boat to another, there's plenty of that read if you scan the forums. I'm certainly not qualified to fairly and honestly write a comparison that would benifit any potential customer.

Thanks for the replies.

B-
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2003, 7:56 AM Reply   
This is a great topic,
I will be in Kissimee FL tomorrow and
have written to CC to ask for a factory
tour in nearby Sanford. I would be happy to send my findings to you for your report.
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
I'd be interested mainly in the whole raw fiberglass being laid~to~finished gelcoat process.

I've seen fiberglass patching being done....but never the process of starting from scratch to a finished product.

Have fun and take lots of pics.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-21-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Barry..that is a good idea..I am currently putting one together about Supra/Boatmate. It would be interesting to compare the processes from the 2 different manufacturers.

McFly