Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (cal2vin)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-18-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
I have purchased 4 XS Power XP2000 (80 aH a piece for a total of a 320 aH bank) batteries for the stereo bank in my boat. The bank will not see alternator charging, so I want to get a good onboard charger to charge them up when on shore. After David from Earmark mentioned Progressive Dynamics as a charger they often use in a thread on here, I looked into it. I was completely set on the Progressive Dynamics PD2150 until I received my batteries and read the charging voltage sheet. The attached picture shows what it says. So at 86 degrees. I need to charge at about 14.5 volts and float at 13.5. And up from there if the temp cools off (likely when in shade). The Progressive Dynamics charger, though its a beefy 50 amps, seems to be weak for what the XS Power XP series batteries call for. The image below shows the specs for the PD2150 (keep in mind the numbers on the graph are incorrect for AGM, look at the legend below.) At max I will charge my batteries at 13.9 volts. A call to Progressive dynamics told me boost most only kicks in at 11.7-12.0 volts. Which would mean my batteries have to be absolutely slammed dead to get that low. So therefore I would be charging at the "normal" rate which is only 13.3. almost 1.5 volts shy of what XS Power recommends. The float voltage would be low also.

I saw somewhere in the forums where I believe David@earmark said they use progressive dynamics on the larger systems. So my question to this is, what am I missing?

Does anyone have an XS Power XP series stereo bank? What do you use for a charger? I thought about a Xantrex Trucharge2 or a higher end ProMariner like the pronautic or pro tournament. Their specs match up better, but they are very pricey. Also, the Xantrex seems to have some bad reviews with dead units after a short time period. And I know if Earmark is using these chargers on their large systems, they have to be working somewhat well.

Any suggestions?? I'm at a loss here and I need to get a correct charger ordered ASAP. I was so set on the PD2150 and now I'm back at square one.

XS Power Charging instruction sheet

PD2150 specs
Attached Images

Last edited by cal2vin; 03-18-2013 at 7:39 AM. Reason: error