Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-21-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
Today at Don Pedro I was pulling my son and there was a person pulling a tube in front of us. As we get to the turn around he already turned around and started heading out of the area so I turn around and start out of the finger. All of a sudden he is turning in a circle in front of us and my son falls. At this point my wife says go and power turn his tuber. I keep my cool and blow it off. What should I've done? I get my son back up and there was a Jetski playing in my wake, no big deal. My son falls and I turn and go get him. The jetski sees what is going on and all of a sudden he goes flying across my wake really close and all most runs over my rope. I yell what the f*** are you doing I have a rope behind there. Once agian what should I've done? But all in all it was a great day out there. The water was very nice.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-22-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
Robert, I always try to remain calm. But I will go ask them to please use some caution around my boat. Remind them that you have to SHARE the water. It 's hard to not get pissed though. I just wished they would stay in the open parts of the lake. Not much you can do when people are being a-holes
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-22-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Its getting like that almost everywhere now. I actually cant wait for cooler weather to keep the fair weather boaters away. You were smart to keep your cool, especially having your family with you. Nothing worse than letting a couple of A wholes ruin your fun.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-22-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
This weekend we were on the Arkansas River and this dude on a Jet Ski was jumping our wake and we had someone up and riding he fell and the Jet Ski came with in five feet of our rider WTF are these people thinking! Then we start to pull our rider again and this JackA starts to jump our wake again I was in total disbelief he had to be the dumbest fn person on the water. (we just waved are hands and were screaming stuff like get the f out of our wake can’t you see we are pulling someone you dumb f!!!!! and other choice words.)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-22-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
We had a couple of jetskis that wouldnt stay off our wake, even after we asked them to very nicely. After that i was pretty pissed off, so i communicated a little sign language, after they finally took off, we ran into the sheriff, and just let him know what was goin on, who is a friend more than a sheriff to my family, so he immediately ran the jetskier down and had a little conversation with him, and the sheriff told us that next time, if we take a picture with our digital of him being an idiot, tickets can be issued, since he cant do anything without seeing it. So keep those cameras ready.
~Tyler~
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Power turning the tuber would've been a bad idea and would have shown that you're stooping to his level. And the sheriff isn't going to take to that too well either. These things are best resolved with words!
Pete
Old    sking55405            08-22-2005, 4:33 PM Reply   
I was out riding for a sunset ride and i was pushin our "no ski after dark" rule. I crashed and out of this bay i see a jest ski come out. I hear the guy driving say to his passenger, "we will wait for this guy to get back up." so im thinking like this isnt gonna be good. So i get back up again and this guy is like jumping the wake like three feet away from me. Then we hit a corner and this guy is still five feet away from me. So finally i cut out into the flats and drop the rope. my dad went srait up to the guy and im sure he wasnt talking about the football game last night but... all that was lost was a nice sunset run.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
Chris-
Where was that, Nor Cal somewhere? Your profile pic looks like Central Valley Marine
Old    byerly137pro            08-23-2005, 3:21 PM Reply   
Two weeks ago I took my boat over to a friends cottage for a day of wakeboarding. We like to ride there because its this small bay, always butter. Anyways, we start to ride and my friend falls, as I'm going to pick him up this guy comes over on his jetski, and just keeps circling infront of me. So I ask if theres something he needs, and he starts getting into this whole deal how his boat was ripping the cleats off his dock and banging around. He wanted us to stop wakeboarding because "our wake was too big". So I say to him, this is everybody's lake and we have just as much right to it as you do. So I continue to try and pick the rider up and pull him out, but the guy is just too close. So we gave up for the day. What do we see not 20 minutes later....him pulling his small child on a tube with no spotter. This got us really going and we just hoped a cop boat would role through.
Old    southwaker            08-30-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
I absolutely hate Jetskiis when you are trying to wakeboard they act like they are so stupid when it comes to other boats out on the water. but you did a good job of keeping cool! that probally meant alot to your son.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-30-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
I used to really be into jet skis until a friend introduced me to wakeboarding. I had never even been in a boat before. Now I never want to jet ski, just wanna go out and board and hang out in the boat. I havent had to many problems with jet skiers but I have been nervous with other boats tailing us by 100 feet while we are pulling someone....while the bow of their boat is so high they cant see over the top
Old    leggester            08-30-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
With the jet skier, I would have been tempted to get his numbers and report them to the local authorities.
Old    lunaraven            08-30-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
It is unfair to generalize that all people who use jetski's are idiots. I find them no less reckless than most tubers that I see on the lake spinning and swerving around.
Maybe the dude that was pulling the kid around on a tube with the jet ski is poor with an old gutless jetski can only support a driver and a rider.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-30-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Your right Rick. Jetskiers and tubers are idiots.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
"Jetskiers and tubers are idiots"
I see just as many idiots on boats.....
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
"I see just as many idiots on boats"

Right. The idiots on boats are usually tubers.

And jetskiers who have no experience with a boat are usually idiots too.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
I find it funny that you blame everyone but yourself. Have you ever cut someone off??? Have you ever power turned???? Have you ever done something stupid???
Im sure most of you have so quit blaming jetkiers
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
bottom line, the rivers and lakes are for everyone but you have to be smart and safe. jetskiers following to close to a rider shouldn't be tolerated. what happens when a rider falls and the jetskier comes out of a power turn straight for you or your family?(bad things) forget reporting them to the sherrif, a little old fashioned a** kicking should do. at least it worked on the delta last week. don't want to sound like a tuff guy but you could be talking life or death. be respectful to others and you will get respected back.
Old     (air_bordan)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
I'd like to reiterate that the majority of jetskiers and tubers are idiots...the majority of wakeboarders know the rules and standards of towing/boating. To say that they don't is just being naive. admit it.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
George Carlin: "Do you ever notice when you are driving down the highway everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster is a maniac"
Old    byerly137pro            08-30-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
The other day when we were out riding, we were pulling a rider and this jet skiier comes flying by and goes through a 10km/h zone and theres a cop 100ft infront of him. You wouldn't believe how fast he stopped. We were pretty mad cause the jet skiier had been following us earlier so it was great to see some justice and watch that guy get a ticket.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-31-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
Eric, how many stories have you heard about Wakeboarders cutting people off, Driving to close to others etc... Everytime I go to the lake, I never see anyone but jetskiers and tubers acting like idiots. Have I ever done something stupid? Of course, but it is the frequency that counts.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-31-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Education is the key. I would be willing to bet that most tubers doing power turns have no idea that we are out there for the butter and how many 12yr old jetskiers are able to predict which riders will fall and when.
Old    southwaker            08-31-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
A jetski just shouldn`t get around a boat when they are pulling someone on a tube or wakeboard and then every thing would be fine! Then you won`t have to worry about it.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-31-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
"I find it funny that you blame everyone but yourself. Have you ever cut someone off??? Have you ever power turned???? Have you ever done something stupid???"

Eric - the answers to your questions are, in order:
No.
No way.
No way, Jose.

Paul - my thoughts exactly.
Old    lunaraven            08-31-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
Here you have to be 16 to use a jet ski and you need to take a boaters proficiancy test if your not a tourist.
A jetski almost took my head off a few year back while I was swimming in a bouyed swimming area, grazed my head. I waited at the rental place for his return and pimp slapped him.
That said I still find that dangerous stupid people can own jet skis or 60K boats.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-31-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
"That said I still find that dangerous stupid people can own jet skis or 60K boats"

thank you thats all i wanted to hear

David - your full of if your saying you have never done anything wrong on a boat

(Message edited by mjfan23 on August 31, 2005)
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-04-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
We like to go to a particular area to wakeboard. Unfortunately, as the day goes by it is overwhelm by tubers. So, far most of the people on PWC's have been good and they do not upset the water that much. But, as much as I curse these people riding tubes in this cove rather than going in to the main channel, the water is everyone's. But, why in the heck do these people see the need to tube in these coves? "Oh the water in the channel is too rough (in a whinny tone)." When we tube, we go in to the main channel because part of the fun of riding on a tube is getting your butt kicked by the rough water.

By the way, most states have laws that dictate just how close PWC's can come to other boats when they are jumping wakes. I believe that Tennessee law allows them to get no closer than 100 feet.

gdog said something that is VERY important; life or death. You do not want to let someone go around doing something dangerous. The person (idiot or not) might not have a clue. If someone were to inform them in a respectful tone, they might be more aware of what they are doing.
Old    260searay            09-05-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
When lake erie is calm....it is SO big that there can be hundreds of boats and all you have to do is go somewhere else and you can be the only boat in site. On a side note it is almost always rough.
Old    sking55405            09-05-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
Steve-
that is CVM. it is where we got our boat from. we had it transported all the way from there because my dad liked it so much. It is a great boat.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-06-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
We had some jet skiers jumping our wake the other day. They were getting closer and closer to our rider. I Got their attention by honking the horn, then I pointed to him and did the throat slit motion. Didn't have any problems with them for the rest of the day.