Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (hyprlightborder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2004, 6:02 PM Reply   
what do you guys think it takes to go pro ? Also tell us what laeks ur riding !
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
im riding bayou liberty near lake ponchatrain in louisiana.

to go pro you need consistency on both hs and ts tricks such as:
ts backrolls
hs roll2revert
hs front flip
and other hs and ts flip variations
a few mobes (360 inverts)
on axis and off axis spins
and add some stylish grabs in there.
Also be able to hit those sliders.
i dont think raley's are really that popular anymore, but im sure some raley variations wouldnt hurt because it would show that you are well rounded in your riding skills.
It doesnt hurt to have a good social skills too, no one wants to see a pro wakeboarder who is full of himself or a dork who can only wakeboard.
Old    mongoprideness            05-11-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
"no one wants to see a pro wakeboarder who is full of himself or a dork who can only wakeboard.
*".....that is all they are...there is no middle ground with wakeboarders....you also have to be willing to make love to reps....then team managers. It is all politics....there are so many riders that should have pro models in places of other riders, the real "pros" are the ones who stay at their local lake and kill it, and no one ever sees them. Those are my heroes.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
Go buy several videos which will give you a good idea of what tricks are being done on a freestyle level. Watch a pro tour in your area and that will give you an idea of the tournament scene. Than ride your ask off, ask for nothing and spend your time for anything releated to wakeboarding. Also check out EXPOSED on my site or www.westcoastcamps.com for your chance to win.
Old    norcal_99            05-11-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
Just curious, Is the pro tour an invite only event, or can anyone who thinks they're good enough sign up when it comes around?
Old    squirlybird            05-11-2004, 8:26 PM Reply   
isnt another way going to contests and putting your name out?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-11-2004, 9:10 PM Reply   
contests are liked by some people but also i think most would rather go out to a lake with a bunch of friends
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-11-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
local tourneys
help at boat shows.

mongos is right. there are many "pros" that couldn't place in some of the local tours I've been to. The just have stuffed their head inside the reps a$$.

Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
wikedeewak- you are soooo wrong. Most of the pros on the tour would totally dominate a local tournament. In fact there are a lot of good pros that did not make the pro tour.

And, I dont think they stick their heads up anybodys a$$. They work for it. Most of them practice many times a day. That is what it takes.

Lastly, I know many of them and I do not think I have met any dorks, and I don't know any of them that are full of themselves. Most of them are very supportive of their fellow riders.

YOU...wikedeewak & mongus, don't have a clue.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
Oh yeh... Hows it going Kevin? Hows your shoulder? Email me and lets go ride.
Old    r_dub            05-12-2004, 5:28 AM Reply   
Here's my take on on this. Some may look as possitives, some may look like negatives. And this is just my opinion. So dont get your panties in a bunch if you dont aggree.
Not in any specific order.

Skill
Money
Easy lake/boat access
Cool parents
Know the right people
Confidence
Luck
And last by not least, ORLANDO!
Old    wakechick            05-12-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
I'm going to jump in here and say it doesn't take just skill to go pro. Attitude has a whole lot to do with it, and also how well you are going to promote the company that is sponsoring you. You have to be willing to push and represent the product(s) if you want the hook up. There are a ton of really good riders out there, so you have to show what makes you stand out from everybody else.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-12-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
Tom, I sooo agree with you! Sic riding is a must for sure, but in any business of dealing with the public, KNOWING how to is a necessity. Just being a nice person, doesn't mean that they are kissing A$$.
Ryan, I do agree with what you are saying.
True story: We are at the Fort Worth stop of the VTC, Jacob rips it up and takes home the trophy.
Henry is approached by a father of one of the other riders.
father: "I am a trial attorney....and we come from the mecca of wakeboarding (Orlando) We will be ready for you next time
Henry:"Dude, I am a poor beaner, and we are self taught"
The boys definatley have a gift from God (thus the skill)
Money? we rob Peter to pay Paul and Peter gets PI$$ed!
Easy Access? Canyon Lake
Cool Parents? up for debate
know the right people? you bet it helps, but there again, that is under people skills. Sponsors want you to best represent their product, bottom line
Confidence? Sure, but that comes with the hours and hours and hours of practicing and face plants, and sore backs and Chiropractic visits (thanks Jeff Swink) and knowing what NOT to do to ever hurt that way again! LOL!
Luck?? we don't believe in luck, we believe in JESUS! and His plan!
Orlando, yes, but just as important is the West Side and soon, New Zealand, Australia, Canada...wakeboarding is for the WORLD!! YAY!!

So in conclusion, what do I believe it takes to be a Great Pro?? Look at Shaun Murray, Gerry Nunn, (Mike Schwenne) they are the riders that I want my kids to emulate. those that take the high road and come up winners for it.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
Hi Robin
My son Derek has a lot of luck. He is lucky that I drive for him 5-6 days a week so he can practice his one hour sets. And we are lucky for Southwestern airlines and the low rates & peanuts to get us to the torneys.
Old    blindsiderider            05-12-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
OK Now my time to Chime in on this. Tony will kill me. I guess I had better get my own screen name. I am Tony Carrolls Dad. I agree with what was said by Henry and Robyn(?) Tony only learned to swim about 4 years ago and has been wakeboarding for 14 months. Up until 2 years ago we never heard of wakeboarding.
now as far as
Skill
Money
Easy lake/boat access
Cool parents
Know the right people
Confidence
Luck
And last by not least, ORLANDO!
SKILL-We believe that Tonys ability is god given also.I have 2 sons both have been riding the same amount of time Tony has advanced way faster then Justin and it is not because of lack of effort.

Money- Ha that is a joke we we are always trying to figure out what we can not pay this month so we can pay for something to do with his riding. not to mention the price of gas these days.

Easy access to boat/lake. We dont live on a lake and it is 30mins away so we must trailer everytime we go. and as far as boat. I dont have the fancy new wakeboard boat it is a 99 calabria with a pole and 2000lbs of ballast it is 20' long and it takes along time to get on plane with only 290 horses but it is what we have and what we make work.

Cool Parents- Sometimes, But I am still judge and jury and what I say goes or they dont ride. So then I am not so cool.

Know the right people-I think that helps but it is up to the individual to put forth the effort to meet the right people.

Confidence-I think that comes with ability on its own. If you suck and you know you suck it is kind of hard to be confident.

Luck-I am not sure about that I dont believe in luck. I belive in you get out of it what you put into it. Also things happen for a reason.

The Orlando thing- Most Pro riders didnt start out in Orlando, they moved there after they went pro.

(Message edited by blindsiderider on May 12, 2004)

(Message edited by blindsiderider on May 12, 2004)
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-12-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
Tom, you are too funny, but again, we believe in blessings and YOU my friend (and Derek too) are one of those blessings!!
And as far as Southwestern nuts go?? You are what you eat!! LOL! hugs, robyn