Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-29-2012, 11:47 PM Reply   
In search of the (arguably)perfect wake surf boat, I have fallen in love with the V226. Fastforward a year and I find myself with a deposit on one and an appointment next week to go test drive it and trade my old boat for it.

Any final worlds or concerns? Is there anything I should look out for when I'm driving it?! It's a 2012 with the Merceuiser motor and the Smart Tow GPS system.

I'm sooooooo friggin excited, I think I just wet myself!
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-30-2012, 4:12 AM Reply   
Go get your new V226 and enjoy the killer wave bro! I love mine, absolutely no regrets. It's got a massive interior, engine is solid and the wave is unbelievable...especially with the fact you never have to put a sac on the seat again! I'd have the dealer install two Jabsco pumps for the port and starboard compartments and you're good to go, no reason to screw around with pumps (although I do double up pumps when filling to cut fill time to 6-7 minutes total for after work surf sessions).
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2012, 4:58 AM Reply   
Congrats, I am sure you will love the wakesurfing behind it. Just make sure you have a great dealer, but that pretty much goes without saying.
Old     (Rob17)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-30-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
Sweet! Pick it up and don't look back! We have had ours under a month and have put 30 hours on it! We love it! We have a 1100 lb sack in the locker and lead under the side seats, the wave is fantastic and the room is better than my first apartment. No bags on the seats and storage for everything under the seats.
My wife surfs goofy side and myself regular. The wave on both sides are fantastic with the same set up. Easy and fun for everyone....... Can't wait to see your picts of the new family member
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-30-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Don't wet yourself until Tuesday!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-30-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
The Smart Tow system is the greatest invention for a wake surf boat. Perfect pull every time. Marriage saver for sure.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
@rob, wow 30 hours, go get em.

@dennish marriage saver, that is pretty funny. I could see how that would really come in handy. My marriage is saved by teaching my kids to drive, rather than Amy driving. ;-)
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-30-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fasdzl View Post
In search of the (arguably)perfect wake surf boat, I have fallen in love with the V226. Fastforward a year and I find myself with a deposit on one and an appointment next week to go test drive it and trade my old boat for it.

Any final worlds or concerns? Is there anything I should look out for when I'm driving it?! It's a 2012 with the Merceuiser motor and the Smart Tow GPS system.

I'm sooooooo friggin excited, I think I just wet myself!
My only final word is that I heard they were having problems with the Merc in the 226. I am not hating on the Merc engine, I had one in my Avy and it was fine.

I would just ask a bunch of questions on what types of problems they have seen. I believe you can get the 226 now with the Indmar (?)

Boat is huge inside and the wave looks great!
Old     (Rob17)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-30-2012, 11:45 PM Reply   
We have the indimar. We did have a problem with the engine. Started beeping and saying needed service 6 hours after we had the 20 hour service done. Took it to CMS (Cal Marine Sports), and they had an idea of the problem before it got to the shop. They were right. Indimar was sending them out without a fuel filter. They put an inline one in and with some consulting with the company, we were off and running.

Can't say enough for a good dealer. They got us in and out quick! Those guys know their stuff. The shop is always packed with boats from every make. They take great care of their customers. Can't say enough good things about them!
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 5:47 AM Reply   
Funny. Dealers that I've spoken to that stock Indmar motors says the Mercruiser motors have had issues and dealers with Mercs say the opposite?
Old     (surferman85)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-02-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
Your gonna love that wave.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-02-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
They are both good Anthony, but the Smart Tow system with the Merc is second to none - you are going to be amazed at how well it does. I just got off the water after and epic day with some friends and can't wait for another tomorrow! The lake is glass, the water temps are perfect, and so is the wave!
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-02-2012, 5:02 PM Reply   
At this point in time, After demoing a few boats I'll go out on a limb and say that It'd be between the V226 and the MB 23' B52 for my next boat.

I don't think there is a better "bang for your buck" waveboat :-) out there!

(yea, I hate to be the one mentioning MB in a Supreme thread, but these two are the only semi reasonably priced boats that interest me!)
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 10:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by getssum View Post
At this point in time, After demoing a few boats I'll go out on a limb and say that It'd be between the V226 and the MB 23' B52 for my next boat.

I don't think there is a better "bang for your buck" waveboat :-) out there!

(yea, I hate to be the one mentioning MB in a Supreme thread, but these two are the only semi reasonably priced boats that interest me!)
Amen! I look at the prices of some new boats and think to myself, "NO F*$KING WAY...what are they smoking?!" I mean, I love cool stuff but for something that gets used for 4 months out of the year...not a chance! If you can afford it, more power to you though...

And no worries, someone HAS TO bring up the obligatory MB in every thread
In all fairness, the MB's are still in the running...IF I pass on the 226.

Travis- Can't wait to take it out and enjoy the lake tomorrow.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-03-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
I really, really don't think you can go wrong either way, and as we all know there is NO "Perfect" boat.

Every boat could use a little bit more storage, little better wave, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of pickle forks, but really like the Supreme V226. If I were going with MB I'd be more interested in a normal front end.

I don't like the cast Malibu type tower that most of the V226's come with, the Bimini ends up being too high and doesn't offer us enough shade (small kids in boat).

I DO like the depth of the Supreme's interior, size of rear compartments, size of engine covers that makes it roomy to lay out.

On the MB's I love the quick fill ballast. I know you typically end up needing a little more weight in the front of the boat, but the first time you fill before your rider is ready you'll be hooked. I think MB's interior is a little more "finished" than the Supreme and love the idea of the magnetic carpet. Must make it so easy to wipe out the boat, take the carpet out and actually clean it. I like the MB's tower, I'm still a fan of tublar type towers, and it has a big bimini.

Either boat has more than enough motor and both throw great waves.

Whichever way you go it will definitely be the right decision for YOU and you can at least feel like you're having as much fun as the guys with boats 20-40k more and with a few bucks left over for gas money!
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-06-2012, 4:57 AM Reply   
Great points! My buddy just picked up a 2011 MB B52 WB and you can see from the side-by-side pic some of the differences Eric mentions. We're heading out in 2 hours to surf it for the first time today as he finally got over his 25 hour break-in period (after having a major issue with overheating on the Indmar engine within the first 5 hours he had the boat, which kept him off the water most of June!! He was NOT a happy new boat owner!)

The V226 is definitely deeper (like stepping down into a sunken living room) and there is NO comparison to the room, especially the bows. The rear sun deck on the B-52 is chopped off, and in my opinion not as appealing to the ladies who like to lay out in the boat. He doesn't have the snap out carpet or interior drains (so when he took a wave over the bow, he said he had to shop vac all the water out because it just sat there and soaked the carpets...sounds like they fixed that in 2012?). The boats also sit at the same height in the water, along with the swim decks.

On my old Supreme V220, I had the tube rack and the thing clanked and clamored over any rough water...the V226 tower is silent so I'm partial to the newer Illusion tower vs the tube-style. Both the V226 and B-52 towers are high enough where you don't need to worry about ducking. The B-52 is definitely higher, and like Eric mentioned, the bimini is HUGE on the B-52 compared to the V226 (but I don't have kids to worry about keeping out of the sun).

Tons of storage in the V226...I used to limit my friends to 1 carry-on bag (no, I don't work for the airlines!) only because storage was limited. No issues now! I haven't climbed around in the B-52 as much (give me 3 hours) but the rear compartments seem to allow 1100 surf sacs to fit back there, so I had my buddy order one. We'll see whether or not we need to fill that up, but will start with the stock quick fill system and go from there? I also like how the B-52 starboard seating wraps around all the way behind the driver's seat with the seat back you can sit up against.

*Small plug for the Exile black inflatable balls...those things work amazing for tying up to a buddy's boat!!!
Attached Images

Old     (Rob17)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-06-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Sweet! Nice new ride. Great pict with them side by side. Hope ya have nothing but good times!
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-07-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
All I can say is, I LOVE my Supreme V226 wave! After a few hours of surfing and attempting to dial in the wave, I proclaim the V226 the wave winner! Yesterday, we filled the MB's stock 'quick fill' on the port side all the way, filled the stock starboard side about 25%, then filled the FlyHigh integrated bow sac (650 lbs), and an 1100 lb sac in the rear port locker. The MB didn't have a trim tab, so maybe that's part of the issue...it was very messy, the water seems to shoot UP and back directly behind the swim deck, causing a mohawk wave. There was very little lip and the wave broke where it seemed to have the most push so you were riding in foam. We then drained the stock starboard quick fill tank and it got worse, so we filled up a 150 lb buddy sac in the bow and it got a little longer, which led me to believe more weight in the bow may help? It reminded me of my old Supreme V220, where we'd have to weight it differently with sacs on the seat depending on how many riders we had (even then, my old wave was better). But with the stock tank plus the integrated bow tank, the boat sat really low in the water...the V226 stays much higher out of the water, making it easier to stop/turn around to pick up your rider and all around just feels safer than the weighted MB.

I was reading some older MB posts that recommend we try surfing with just the stock tanks filled (100% on the port side and 50% on the starboard side) but we didn't get around to trying that...just doesn't make sense that the wave would get better with 1100 lbs LESS in the corner? I also read that this boat is a Right-hand rotation and to expect a better "dark" side of the wave but we didn't ride that side either.

Whether you have 1 passenger or 8, the V226 wave starts clean and just gets better with more weight! Fill all 3 of the stock tanks plus the 1100 in the corner and you're surfing on the cleanest wave I've witnessed from a 22'6" boat. That's my personal account and until you test both of these boats yourself you're likely to be more opinionated towards one vs. the other. I'm sure others have had great success and fun times wakesurfing with their MB's...I'm just glad I'm not waking up this morning feeling like I need to trade in my V226!