Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (rknott)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-30-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Ten-80 Clothing rider Josh VandeVanter of Spokane rides behind snowmobile on Pend Oreille River in northeastern Washington.

http://www.509films.com/evolution/waterx.html
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-30-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
The wakeboarding seemed a little pointless but I suppose it is something new. A lot of video to wade through to get to the few seconds of decent snowmobile action at the end.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-30-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
that's what I was thinking as well, but the end was kool.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-30-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
More jetskis on the water.. great
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
What a bunch of downers

The city of Ione has been having these snowmobile races for years and for the last 3 years we have had a great wakeboard contest the day before! We were always wondering if someone would be able to ride behind the snowmobile and Josh stepped up! He did it and someone got it on video so we thought we would share it.

Didn't your mother ever tell you, if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut-up!
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-30-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
no offense but after the two deaths in two weeks and all of the super close calls here on the delta were a little tired of waverunners and the like
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-30-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Looks pretty original to me!
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
VANDEVANTER!!! i didn't watch the video but rick knott is a legend and josh vandevanter is the man. i saw somebody drinking a mojito the other day and thought about him. come back to tennessee and you won't have to ride behind a snowmobile!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
not to be a hater but why would you ride a snowmobile in the water vs a jet ski? a jet ski will handle better and does not sink if you stop...
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
Guys, they only do this once a year, in a controlled environment, and this was the first time anyone tried to ride behind the snowmobile. It's not like it's going to be the next big thing in water sports.

Ben has the right idea, it was just something different to try
Old     (libertylake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-30-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Did they even have ballast on the snowmoblie, the wake looked tiny!
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
wow the responses on here just amaze me. comparing watercrossing a sled to a jet ski is not right. People that cross water on snowmobiles are not your everyday idiot jet skiers and you can't knock it unless you done it and Nick speak for yourself and not the wakeworld community on what people should be posting, not everyone wakeboards on an overcrowded lake and cringes to the mention of anything but a wakeboard boat.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-30-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
Sweet! 509 Has some sick stuff out. I spend the summer on the boat and the winter on the sled. Nothing wrong with just having a little fun....
Old     (erik_a)      Join Date: May 2007       07-31-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
Pretty cool stuff. I didn't know a sled would be able to keep a rider up on a board for that long.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-31-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
Do the sleds sink like a rock, for example near the end where the guy jumps and bails, and you see his sled dropping like a rock...is that thing toast?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Loren,
Yes they sink, but they have a buoy tied to a long rope attached to the sled and when it starts sinking it pops up so they can find it. There is a barge with a winch on it they use to pull them back up. After that all they do is pull the plugs, crank the engine over a few times to get out the water, put the plugs back in and it usually fires right back up. They can be up and running again in less than 15 minutes!
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-31-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
hahah I thought that was awesome!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
wow. Jumping and landing on water is pretty cool. I guess you can't do that on anything else. Riding a board behind it wasn't that impressive, but hitting a jump and landing in the lake is sick.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-31-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
Well said Chris, they don't get it. Water crossings take some huevos especially in the midst of winter. I guess it would only be of interest to those who are familiar with both activities. Still pretty cool...
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-31-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have went acorss water on my snowmobile many of times. It is a rush!!
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
That was AWESOME!!
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-31-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Theres an older Warren Miller flick featuring a guy riding (skiing I think) behind a snowmobile.
Old     (peterd)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-31-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
That is way cool. I spent some time snowboarding behind my snowmobile at Bear Valley this year with a wakeboard rope and handle. We called it "Beele-Boarding". We event built a 5 foot kicker in front of my cabin. I landed a few blind 180s, didn't try to get inverted - balls were too small I guess. We also do alot of back-country snowboarding with the snowmobile and use a tow rope to get back up the mountain with another guy driving the snowmobile.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
here's two videos that will blow you away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvThet2dh4&feature=related

the other is keith st onge doing some barefooting behind a snowmobile
and his other videos too check out redneck barefooting http://www.ksobarefoot.com/kso_videos.htm

(Message edited by bftskir on July 31, 2008)
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
bet that snowmobile throws a huuuuuuge wake