Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-18-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
Looking for first wake boarding boat. Obviously more reasonable the better (i.e.. 25k group below). However want to be happy with it for years to come, so looking for overall value.

Uses:
Primary - wakeboarding - 6 - 40 year olds beginner to intermediate currently
Secondary - wakesurfing - all beginners currently
Passengers - Typically 4 - 6, occasionally up to 10 - 12 (including kids). Generally like space.
Lake - We can typically find relatively calm areas other than super windy or the occasional busy days. However, obviously want to handle when there is some chop decently. Have cabin, so trailering and storage not a big concern.
Not used for - fishing, tubing, skiing, a ton of cruising

Below is a list of boats relatively close, that have good/decent hours, condition and feature sets (pp, ballast, vdrive, wrap around seating, etc). I've looked at a few in person, but really need to narrow it down to get serious about a couple.

If anything stands out in any way good/bad/average, whatever, please comment.

Around 25k group
2000 SAN 210 Team
2001 Tige 22V
2001 Supra Launch 22SSV
2001 Wakesetter LSV
2006 Centurion Avalance C4
2007 Moomba Outback V

Around 30k group
2003 Mastercraft X-10
2005 Moomba LSV
2005 Tige 22V
2006 Moomba LSV

Around 35k group
2004 Mastercraft X-2
2005 SAN 210 Team
2005 Malibu Wakesetter VLX
2007 Malibu Wakesetter VTX
2007 Supra Launch 21V
2008 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V

95k group
2012 SAN 230 (in case someone our there needs a lead :-)
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-18-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
avalanche for your needs, will fit the people and suit the board and surf crowd of your crew likely for the duration of how long you want to ride/own that boat... I wouldn't pay 15k for a 2001 tige..., SAN is too small for your needs, I'd take an 06 centurion over an 01 Bu but that's me... do a search this has been hashed out probably 10 times in 2 months. Google search it
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-18-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
Thanks, yea, I've been down the way to much research path already on this for the last two months and have some opinion's but didn't want to skew any one else comments.

If you had to pick 3 to test drive/ride (out of all these) which would you go with?

Last edited by 99Bison; 09-18-2012 at 6:23 PM. Reason: apparently t a i n t is a ***** word.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-18-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
Man you really covered the spectrum there. I know it gets old hearing it around here, but demo. Sounds like you are pretty new so you really owe it to yourself to figure out what works for you. The only way to figure that out is to drive the boats, ride behind them, surf them, etc.

What your going to hear is what other people like. You need to find out what YOU like!! We are looking now and have decided(maybe) to stretch the budget a little and buy new. As it sounds like with you we plan to own the boat for around 10+ years. I have been looking for about 3 months and have seen a lot of boats and demoed a few. One thing I can tell you with young kids especially new riders make sure whatever you buy you can tone it down for newbies/kids. Every boat we have demoed the kids rode behind first. I am getting back into riding after being away for 10 years. I have been riding all summer behind a 21 foot DD unweighted. These Vdrives can produce way more wake. You need to see them to make sure you can start it manageable and weight it up to make it great as you want it. Any of those boats will produce enough wake to make you consider the landing!!

We have all but decided on a 2013 Tige RZR or R20. I can tell you it had a lot to do with the dealer.

Hope that helps a little. Just my opinion. But I am a novice rider with kids like your talking. Get out and look, have fun with it. Like they say measure twice and cut once. So look a lot and make the right decision the first time.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-18-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
2006 Avalanche, as long as it doesn't have the walk thru stern, 2005 22v Tige and a newer than 01 Supra 22ssv you should be able to find all of those in decent shape, 250-500 hrs in your price range 25-30ish

I would go with the SAN but it doesn't fit your size requirements and it sucks at surfing.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-18-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Yea definitely new guy here, but I find it tough to gage opinion on just a ride or two behind various boats (~8) because:
A. The owner/drivers/sales guys are so variant on their ability to "dial it in" or even know what that means. And some of these guys are really skiers.
B. It's hard narrowing down because of various changes over the years. For example, for me, riding behind an early 2k Moomba LSV was not nothing like the 08 of same model (or couple be A above).
C. I'm so flexible on on what I like it's kind of ridiculous, and with me only probably getting 10% of the riding time... perhaps it's better on which I like to drive.

So figured if others had any similar inputs to those I have experienced, I could lump some together.

Your example of being able to tone it down is exactly what I am concerned about for the youngest ones. The 210 SAN is nice for a few now (personally I like it), but am afraid wake is too steep for the kids even after being dialed down (similarly, us old geezers of the group may may not like the super firm wake soon either).

As for local dealers, it's MC, CC, Moomba, average so far. Beyond that it's 250 miles to have pretty much any brand.

I guess I really just need to start going with some gut feels and try them out one at a time... it's going to take all winter :-).

Last edited by 99Bison; 09-18-2012 at 8:05 PM.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-18-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
Thanks, maybe should kick some people out while taking turns so only 5-7 max people - I kid, that is a feasible option (cabin). Sucks at surfing is not cool on the SAN though.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-18-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
Or maybe this guys x-1... i know too small for my size requirements, but perhaps that needs to be adjusted.
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=2876
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-18-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
Or maybe this guys x-1... i know too small for my size requirements, but perhaps that needs to be adjusted.
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=2876
I would think twice before buying that boat, there is a good thread on TeamTalk about it...
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-18-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
You need to find a Sanger v 215 and buy it
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-18-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
05+ vlx is a great all 'rounder for your situation. Surfs good, great wakeboard wake, good low speed wake for kids, good quality, probably near the bottom of its depreciation. I'd look for one with the Titan 3 tower vs illusion.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2012, 8:33 PM Reply   
What Migs said, you're looking for a Sanger
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       09-18-2012, 8:42 PM Reply   
I have a Moomba, 2011 LSV. If you decide to go with a Moomba the LSV model would be good for your needs. But if you do go Moomba LSV go '06 or newer. The LSV's hull was changed in 2006 and is much better than the earlier ones. That is most likely why you noticed a difference between the two you checked out. Also, I would advise you to stay away from the Outback V if you will frequently have over 6 or 8. If you get 12 peeps in there it's going to be tight. Its a good boat but the LSV just has more room. It really is a do all, great bang for your buck boat. We are in our early 30's and late 20's and have little kids too. I am a novice Wakeboarder but consider myself to be an intermediate surfer. Sure there are better surf boats out there but for right now the Moomba LSV is perfect for what we do; surf, board, tube, cruise. I'm sure in a few years we will upgrade to a more surf specific boat as that is all I really like to do now. I can't speak about any of the other boats as I am not real familiar with them. But like others have said test 'em all until you find the one that fits you, your activities, your skills, and your budget.

Good Luck!

BTW...there are a few boats for sale on the Moomba forum that you may want to check out.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/forumdisplay.php?10-Moomba-Classifieds&

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-18-2012, 9:36 PM Reply   
X2 with shawndoggy. You listed a few really great boats, but they are either small inside (SAN) (MC X1)... or they do not meet all your needs. The 05+ malibu VLX would be my top priority to go demo. It is wide and big, comfortable, great great wake capability, has a super mellow beginner wake and stays clean at very slow speeds compared to the rest of your list (17-18 mph), has a decent surf wake, and is one of the better handling boats out there.

But you asked for 3 boats to start your search:

05+ VLX
2001 wakesetter LSV
08-09 moomba
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-19-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
Great feedback all, much appreciated. I am finishing out checking at all the very local ones tonight, then onto testing and more distant ones.

FWIW, Haven't seen any Sangers around (MN), however I get to CA fairly often.

Last edited by 99Bison; 09-19-2012 at 9:18 AM.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2012, 9:25 AM Reply   
IMPO the 2005 Tige 22V and the 2005 Malibu VLX..would be the ones I would like off your list. I would give the edge to the Malibu in wakeboard wake and Tige will have a better surfwake. The tige is bigger with a deeper freeboard and handles ruff water a little better IMPO..But if you went with either of those two boats you would be doing good IMPO. Good luck in you search.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-19-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
Around 25k group
2000 SAN 210 Team-Too small
2001 Tige 22V-They didnt' make a 22v in 2001. They had a 21v and 23v. Not a bad boat although quality is somewhat suspect. good size.
2001 Supra Launch 22SSV-I like these if they havve the playpen front seating. Not sure on surf wake.
2001 Wakesetter LSV-Big nice boat, wakeboard wake is pretty good even though it has the diamond hull. Make sure it has the wedge.
2006 Centurion Avalance C4-Great boat, real solid, great rough water ride, elite surf wake, real nice wakeboard wake without much ballast, if you can get an 06 for 25k awesome. Like someone else mentioned hopefully it isn't the walkthrogh version.
2007 Moomba Outback V-Ok all around boat.

Around 30k group
2003 Mastercraft X-10-Solid boat
2005 Moomba LSV-Same boat as 2007 outback V
2005 Tige 22V-Good surf and wakeboard boat, good amount of room. I would seriouisly consider this boat.
2006 Moomba LSV-newer hull design, I would take a good look at this one as well.

Around 35k group
2004 Mastercraft X-2-Too small, not a great surf boat
2005 SAN 210 Team-Too small, not a great surf boat
2005 Malibu Wakesetter VLX-Sick boat, definately would consider this. not sure the surf wake is great but I don't htink it is bad either.
2007 Malibu Wakesetter VTX-Great boat, quite a bit of room for small boat(more then SAN210 or X2/Xstar/205V)
2007 Supra Launch 21V-Great boat, lots of storage, deep, great wakeboard wake, not a very good surf boat.
2008 Moomba LSV-See the 2006 moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V-I think this is the new outback V hull. Looks like a great boat. I would seriously take a look at it.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-19-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Bison if you are in Mn shoot me a PM. I may be able to help you out as I am in the Metro and have been looking for the last 2 months.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-19-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
Check your PM boardman74 - thanks.