Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Anybody use these ?
http://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb...campaign=3810B

Harbor freight has them on sale and i need them to get our boat where we want it in the garage.
the single car opening isn't big enough to get the trailer thru so we are going to need to the back the trailer in thru the large door and then slide it over.

I can either use these or just use my floor jack and put regular wheel dollies under them like the grey ones pictured.

What do you guys think would be the better option considering that the self jacking dollies are twice as much money?
Attached Images

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
I use something similar in my garage set-up. $79 is a great price. You'll need 4.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
They are on sale for $59 starting tomorrow, how do yours work for you?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-22-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
That's a great price. Those were first made by gojak. I think they were $250 each. I'm temped to get them myself.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-22-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
O the pranks I would play on my buddies with them..
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Mine work great. I spent $100 ea. about four years ago. $59 is a steal.

Only one suggestion: Mine came with a manual that suggested changing the hydraulic oil every couple of years. I'd skip anything like that. I did and regretted the big hassle factor involved. If it's not broken... Don't fix it.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-22-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
You can get 20% off any item Harbor Freight coupons all over the place. They're in Reader's Digest every month as well as many Sunday newspapers.

What about putting a heavy duty pivoting trailer jack on each rear corner of the trailer to jack the rear up just like the tongue? Then you'd have the trailer completely supported by 3 pivoting wheels. It might take a little bit of fabrication in the rear to allow them to pivot and be cranked without the hull interfering. The jacks would have to be heavier duty than your run of the mill trailer tongue jack though because, between the three of them they will support the entire weight of the boat + trailer
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-22-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
By the way (re-reading your initial post), forget the dollies. Not going to work well.
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-22-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
Bought 4 from HF two years ago in order to pivot turn dual axle trailer into side entry garage; they work alot better on concrete than asphalt - during the summer, have to put plywood down so the wheels don't dig into the pavement. Only problem I have had is one leaks hydraulic fluid over time.

Couple of considerations:
1) non-hydraulic dollies will require you to jack each side up separately, or have two jacks. With the Hydaulic Dollies, we jack both up at same time (does not seem like much effort to move the jack but any effort become another chore
2) Need to make sure they are rated to the total weight of your boat, I think mine are rated at 1500 lbs each or 3000lbs per axle
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-22-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Are we talking about a single or tandem axle trailer?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Jeff,

it's a tandem so I would buy 4 of them

Andy: What won't work well, could you explain a little more?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-22-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
I bought some from HF a year or so ago. I only have a single axle trailer and it would not lift my boat. I have an 2002 x star. I think the Go Jacks are better but a crap load more expensive. Give it a try worse case you take them back. If you lose your receipt you will only get an in store credit.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
My boat is a 89 malibu sunsetter that weighs 2700 lbs plus trailer so i should be fine with 4 jacks at 1200 lbs each.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-22-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
I know its a lot more money, but I would suggest using the money (and adding some) to increase your 3rd car garage door. the door itself will be the greatest expense. Man, i'd get tired of using those dolly's to move the boat around. Much more convienient to just back the boat in and disconnect. BTW, dont mean to be a SA. I realize this idea is more $... but much less hassle. FWIW
Old    bigdtx            09-22-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Are you on the mailing list? If not get on it - they'll send you a couple of emails a week - lots of good deals. Also - at least last time I was in there - if you don't have the web deal printed out - but can pull it up on your smartphone they'll give you the internet price.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-22-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
I bought 4 from HF like the Picture on the Right in order to do the same thing ( Sanger v210) maybe 2,800lbs plus trailer. They were able to move the boat maybe 3 feet on concrete before the Wheels all bent over, don't waste your time. I have also heard that Go-Jacks are the Way to go but a lot more $$$.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-22-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
I purchased 2 pair of HF Jacks over a year ago for my tandem trailer with a 03 SANTE. They work great and were one of the best purchases I have made. I would not be able to fit my 21.5 ft boat in my 20 ft two-car garage without them. I think the will work well for your purpose as long as you have a smooth concrete surface to roll them on. I would also invest in a Fulton F2 jack for the front while you’re at it.
Old     (gdavid)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-23-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
I have a pair of the cheaper harbor freight wheel dollies that you have to use a floor jack to get the boat up onto. They aren't like the diamond plate ones pictured above, they are black with a rounded contour where the wheel rests. They are under a single axle trailer that only weights 3k - 4k pounds including the boat. They don't roll very easily, you really have to put your back into it or push off against something. My garage floor is smooth. I still like them and would recomend them but it isn't as easy to move around as I expected. I think mine were only $30-40 for the set, they were a gift.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-23-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Derek,

This is a short term solution until we have a gate installed and concrete poured on the side of our house.
We plan to put the boat in the garage for the winter and then put it in the side yard for the summer when we will be using it on a regular basis so using the jacks won't be a regular occurance.