Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-04-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
I'm looking at a 2008 Calabria 23 Team V - it has the funky gated ballast system on it. I've heard that you either love it or hate it since it is difficult to increase the amount.

Does anyone have experience with this or the similar MB for wakesurfing? I was going to buy a Typhoon but it got sold day before I could get it, and I really like the concept of the Calabria's.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
There is nothing to dislike about the ballast its all under the floor so there is a ton of room to add fat sacks and still have storage. I think the surf wake is great will fill the stock ballast plus #500 in the locker and #500 along the seat.
Attached Images

Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-04-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks - that picture looks incredible. Did you plumb in the extra ballast yourself? How difficult is the job? Also - do the boats have a fair amount of freeboard? I heard one person compare them to the air natique 21's which seemed very strange to me?

I'm comparing it to a Typhoon which is pretty darn spacious on the inside with a good amount of freeboard.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
nope just filled the fat sacks with a pump that you put out in the water. I think that there is a fair amount of freeboard I feel safe in the boat propably some where in the middle, not the most but not the least. I went from a ceturian elite V to the Calabria team V and the is no comparison between the too the Calabria is much better (my .02). I also looked at the centurians but I did not like that the ballast took up most of the room in the boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylorb View Post
Thanks - that picture looks incredible. Did you plumb in the extra ballast yourself? How difficult is the job? Also - do the boats have a fair amount of freeboard? I heard one person compare them to the air natique 21's which seemed very strange to me?

I'm comparing it to a Typhoon which is pretty darn spacious on the inside with a good amount of freeboard.
They have relatively low freeboard for compared to the monster boats today. I don't think it is a huge deal myself but that is just me. Because of this the seat bases are pretty low. On the other hand the main cockpit area of the ProV is the size of a living room.