Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-27-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
I have an 03 HL Land lock and i like it but i wanted something that is a little looser but still grippy for beginners (if that makes sense). Also i just want another board. Do you guys have any suggestions?? and some chara. of the different boards.
Old    travisellis            10-27-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
phase 5
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-27-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
I got to demo the new CWB..It's awesome. Very fast, they made the rocker pattern so you could still hold speed with a very small wake. It comes with 2" fins I think so breaking loose is easy when you want to.
I'd wait till it comes out...I think Jan.
Old    jakeman            10-27-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
demo until u find what u like
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-27-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Can you use a skurfer for wakesurfing??
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-27-2003, 5:39 PM Reply   
which phase 5???
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-27-2003, 5:55 PM Reply   
The Phase 5 is definitely not grippy. You might want to try an Inland Surfer Blue Lake or Green Room depending on the weight of your riders. Since you have a Landlock already the Blue Lake might be a good choice. The HL Broadcast is also a fun board.

The Phase 5 is fun but it is more of a trick board and is VERY loose. I've found that I have to be very aggressive on it or it will slip out.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-27-2003, 6:18 PM Reply   
the phase 5 or Broadcast. i like the broadcast better because you don't need quite as big of a wake and i like the traction on the top better.
Old    catalyst            10-27-2003, 9:51 PM Reply   
yeah skurfers work thats what i have been using there a little tricky but tons of fun go finless and just try not to nose dive. If you cant find the sweet spot try some body varials or shauvs 360's and floaters are always good
Old    maverick_gear            10-27-2003, 11:15 PM Reply   
Dude you gotta get an Inland surfer! Jeff Page has been doin it longer than anyone and knows his stuff. i have ridden the phase 5 the landlock the broadcast and all the inland surfers. i really like all the IS boards and the broadcast, you can build your own phase 5 out of wood from lowes... the inland surfer blue lake is my favorite it rides like a real surfboard and not a wakeboard. all the landlock is is an old ho darin shapiro from like 10 years ago with no golf ball pockets....
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-28-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
Maverick, your comments and opinions are getting more whacked out by the day. The Landlock is the same thing as an old Shapiro board??? I didn't know he used to ride a 6' board with that design. You can make a Phase 5 out of wood from Lowes??? Where do you get this stuff from? The Inland Boards are nice, but the Blue Lake rides like a 10' longboard, not a shortboard. Not exactly the most fun or challenging thing to ride. Sid7, if you like the Landlock but are looking for something you can break loose a little easier, just get the Broadcast. It is every bit as stable as a Landlock, which is good for the beginners, but you can really break it loose for slides, 180's, 360's, etc. I took out the 2 outside fins and it breaks loose even more.

From your post, you are still looking for a board for beginners. Do not get the Phase 5 board if you are a beginner. That is a great board, but one to work up to once you have mastered the bigger boards.

Also, do a search and you find a lot of info on this subject.
Old    sdorovi            10-29-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
Whoa! the Lowes comment I liked that one. But hey Sid check under the thread "WAKESURFING SUNDAY" you'll see a guy by the name of Alan Bogdanoff from A-wakesurfboard mfg. He can shape a custom board for you or you can buy one of his production boards coming to local shops soon. His production board if I remember right is like a skimboard with fins. It's what the pro's are riding right now. He knows alot about surfing due to the fact that he competed at in both surfing and wakesurfing. If you saw the info on the wakesurfing contest earlier this year he won second in the amatuer ranked competition.
Old    maverick_gear            11-19-2003, 12:55 AM Reply   
Brent you obviousley havent ever worked in or for a factory and have an old shapiro laying around. it so happens that having lived next to the H.O. Factory for my entire life i have seen it all and know some people inside.... the Landlock mold came from the old skirfer like the shapiro. all they did is send it to the machine shop and had it machined it out and filled the bubbles they use more buoyant materials and voila u have 2k into a mold that would normally cost you 10. if you have an old shapiro laying around or a skirfer for that matter you can see the rocker profiles are the same and you might also notice the little imperfections on your landlock where the center fin would have been. as far as making your own skimsurfer goes ask any surf bum. my dad made me build my first skimboard when i was like 8 years old, it isn't rocket science. you can get everything you need at lowes with the exception of fins.
Old    maverick_gear            11-19-2003, 12:56 AM Reply   
2 to nothing I WIN!!!!
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-19-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
Maverick, for this one post I'll stoop to your level and play your games. Most of your posts are idiotic and immature so I guess that makes me an idiot for wasting my time to reply. First of all, is the Landlock from a Shapiro or a Skurfer? Make up your mind, they are 2 different boards and you contradict yourself. There is no way it comes from a Skurfer and I highly doubt a Shapiro was 5'6" long and I KNOW it didn't have a pointed nose like the Landlock. If you say that they took the Shapiro mold and redid it, it is not the Shapiro board "without golf ball pockets," which is what I was commenting on. It is a completely different mold.

Sorry, I live in Issaquah, which is way too far away from Redmond to know anything about this equipment. By the way, if you are so in the know at H.O., you would know those golf ball pockets were called Phazers. All that glue in the factory must have made you forget that. Maybe it is because you are so far up Centurion's piehole with your Centurion stoke, you can't think logically. By the way, have you ever even driven an Enzo yet?

I'll tell you what. You go to Lowe's, build a skimboard that you think matches up to a Phase 5, and we will go out and test them together. I'll bring a Phase 5 and a few good surfers with me to post some objective opinions. At that point, I'll will be glad to say you win if you think you can do that. I'll give you a chance to back up your claims. Until then, SHUT UP!

Old    mikep            11-19-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
Maverick, I've got to go with Brent on this one. Unless they changed the Landlock shape for 2004, there is no way that thing was off a wakeboard mold - the 2003 had to be at least two feet wide, right? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem likely.

I personally dig the Broadcast. I think the the Inlands are two big and clunky, even with the stubby, and the phase five is just a bit too loose for me. I could see the potential in the Phase Five if you ge used to it, but the Broadcast just seems perfect to me.
Old    maverick_gear            11-19-2003, 11:04 PM Reply   
you should stoop to my level all the time you might have fun and take other peoples rediculousness as exactly what it is, rediculousness.... but.... since i did sniff a ton of glue while working in factorys and i've taken about 200 to many hard falls a wakeboard in the last 7 or 8 years it is entirely possible that i could be foggy on the details. since you asked, i went out and got the old shapiro "WAKEBOARD" and took some measurements. it measures 57inches in length and a 16 at its widest now if you look at the speck on a landlock you will notice that it is 66inches long and 20.6 wide so if you have ever seen a wakeboard mold before you will see that they are all 74 inches long even little wakeboards and skiis(presses are interchangeable from ski to board) and as a standard beaver machine and others like it makes all molds the same length that way when they are stacked there is no weird staggering. the standard width to a mold is at least 4 more inches on either side above the units width. that being said if you can imagine the shapiro mold would be 74 inches long and 24inches wide leaving plenty of room to recut to the 66in length and the 20.6 inch width the only problem with that is it only 1.7 inches on eather side of the landlock for leeway but when a mold is being punched out that far it is obvious that will be the last time it is able to be changed. also on a board like the landlock the materials are lighter than a wakeboard because it will never have impact like a wakeboard therefore the press would not have to be run at as high a pressure eliminating the risk of cracking the 1.7in left to the outside of the mold. i'll take a pick of the shapiro in question so you guys can see it, as far as the "phazers" go those are indented into the board making them poke up from the bottom of the mold making those easily machined away.

as far as building the phase 5 goes i honestly have no reason to want to take my precious time to prove anything to you seeing as i know i can do it, i am sure i could NOT finish it quite as nice or make it as light the first time, but anyone who knows how to use tools can make one. i have shaped surfboards and made skim boards b4 and just like anything it takes time. i and yes i have driven in an enzo. i havent gotten behind the wheel due to filming but i have been in it. all the guys seemed to be stoked on the boat.

o oops wasn't i supposed to shut up or something???? o well i forget, pass the glue.....
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-29-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
Here a some of Alan Bogdanoff's boards. His website should be up soon www.awakesurf.com which will have products and contact info.

Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
That first board looks really sweet. Any idea what the dimensions are?
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-29-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
Brent,
Here are the dimensions. If you are interested I get you Alan's contact info.
Length: 54"
Width: 20"
Rocker: Continuous; 2" nose, 1" tail.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
54"? Wow, looks like a much shorter board. This is the black one, correct? I would love to try that one out. Sounds like there needs to be a few Northwest reps for these boards! Here is a pic of our current quiver:

surf
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
Hey Brent and others,
I am In need of a rep in the Nor West.
I have things under control with one of my boys
Arun Fances here in Nor Cal (Delta). He is handleing all my sales here.
If anybody is interested: Send me your "what you can do for me" and I'll respond with what I can do for you. Email me at www.alanbogdanoff@sbcglobal.net
Thanks all,
Alan Bogdanoff
www.awakesurf.com (under construction) or www.boardingreview.com
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-29-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
How many units are you planning on shipping in 2004?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-29-2004, 9:28 PM Reply   
Alan, if you want to send me a board I'll be happy to test it and post here on wakeworld

I do a lot of wakesurfing, maybe I'll even let Dave Williams come out with me if he promises not to cry about going backside. It's not my fault he's goofy.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-30-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
For 2004 I'm hoping on shipping 200 - 300 boards. But we have yet to see.

Bill, I'm down in San Diego alot, Let's ride sometime. I'm goofy too. Any Natiques out your way - They work better for us goofies.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-30-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Dave's the goofy one. Must have been dropped on his head as a kid.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-30-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
Yeah, we have a couple of SANs down this way. But my wake is so nice you can easily ride backside. I even rode switch backside and was able to drop the rope.

Drop me an email next time you're down this way and we'll set something up.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-30-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
I haven't tried any others, but I LOVE my TrickBoardz surfer. That thing is a ton of fun and with the twin tips and fins you can get pretty crazy with it. I weigh 210+ and have even had my 5 year old son ride it with me. My favorite feature is the leash...that way I don't have to swim after it all the time.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-30-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
I'll do that Bill,
I'll drop you an email, and we'll go ride next time I'm in Diego County.
If you ever come up here to wakeboard heaven (delta) consider yourself hooked up with a pull.
Alan Bogdanoff
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-31-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
Here is a little clip from the R&D session that we did with the bigger board.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9893
Old    03motive            02-18-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
brodcast
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-29-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
Inland surfer 5'6" It's the best board on the market. I've grown up surfing in Santa Cruz my entire life, shaped my own boards, and riden all the wakesurfers on the market.

Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
www.thewakeboardcamp.com
www.wakeboardcamp.bravehost.com
http://wakeboardcamp.tripod.com
Old    ryan_mocerino            02-29-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
Personally, i started out on a quiet flight surf board. I couldn't sdo anything with it because i was such a small guy. I learned from my coach that you can wakesurf with a skimboard. So i went out and bought a zap wedge skimboard. Talk about being loose, but once you get used to it you can do a lot with it. Before you ask, yes, you can drop the rope with it if you don't have one of the wodden ones, but onoe of the think ones. I then bought a phase five board a year later, and in comparision, it grips a lot. Moral of the story: i started out on a skimboard. You would be surprised how well such a loose board rides, you just have to get used to it.

I have never been a fan of the landlock because to me it seems liek a shorter surfboard. IAlthough i have never used a broadcast im not sure how it rides.

Last of all, HAVE FUN WITH WHATEVER YOU GET MAN
}
Old    bobbymucic            05-25-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
I have an inland surfer red chubby. This board seems a bit small for me (I am 6'1, 220lbs) cause I can't seem ride it much after I drop the rope. I am still experimenting with the fatsac distribution in my vlx, but even with center MLS full, one rear tank full, a 600 lb on the floor near the back, and 2 250's on one side, I still couldn't surf.

Anyone have opinions on the Red Chubby?
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
The Red Chubby is decent. I prefer the Broadcast better. I am the same size as you Bobby and can surf the Chubby fine. It might be your wake and technique. Make sure you are edging into the wake to help the board stay in the curl. The one thing I don't like about the Chubby is that if you fall out of the wake and start sinking, that thing takes off like a rocket ship because it is so bouyant. It is the only board I have thought about putting a leash on.
Old    bobbymucic            05-26-2004, 6:22 AM Reply   
Brent, thanks for the info.

I need to demo something. I do have a 6'4 surfboard laying around. But I think if I tried that the noce wouldbe right onthe platform?

I used to surf a lot, I think that my technique would be okay (a few of my friends haven't been able to surf the chubby either).

I'm working onthe wake too. I'll keep moving weight around.
Old     (captainpoolshark)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
I'm great at anything that as board at the end of it and i love wakeboarding. I'm getting my own board and i want something great for tricks and something that will get me high in the air. I'm thirteen and i really want a sponsor so, any suggestions?
P.S. i will usually ride on rough water

(Message edited by captainpoolshark on August 24, 2007)
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
i purchased the number one board in this years wakeboard magazine buyers guide and couldnt be more impressed.i'm 235lbs and am on a 5'1"i went with the ascboards.com team board called the 5150punkinseed.i'm gettn a 4'9" for christmas next week.haha
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
you purchased a board you made?
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2007, 11:41 PM Reply   
Adam- I just picked up some rad $20 skim boards from Big5 so why are you worrying about sponsorship? CCH
Old     (becci)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-25-2007, 1:31 AM Reply   
I've tried a few different boards but definately like my Shredstixx Thresher best ,doing turns with it feels similar to surfing in the ocean. You can do nice turns off the back foot it responds really well and fast. Since I've got that board I'm learning new tricks all the time.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
hahaha congratulations mr ward..u r currenly the sharpest knife in the box..all kidding aside,even if you dont get one of my boards,please get something hand made in the usa from a true artisan of his craft.help educate the rest of us how important made in the usa,on all levels truley is
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
BURN
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
what your looking for is really hard... its good to have a beginner board and a advanced board...

if your looking for a step up avoid the phase 5 (its a log in the water) and go for a walzer...

any board you should consider should be 1" thick...

(Message edited by clubmyke on August 27, 2007)
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
clubmyke - you serious about Phase5? You think it's a log? Which one, all 4?
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-31-2007, 12:42 AM Reply   
I would have to go with " CADDYWAMPUS " Walzer boards kick ass . I think it is way better then the phase5. I love my walzer board
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
loc, i have tried 3 of the phase 5's (havent tried the newest). i dont mean to bag on the phase 5 but it rides like a log and is hard to ride..

would suggest trying a walzer.. anyone who trys mine ends up buying one (there is a reason why walker boards copied the walzer)

it is very responsive and will do what you want it to... i would also like to try a skim skate style like a placebo or stripes...
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-31-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Clubmyke - I agree the Walzer is hot!!! The second rocker that Walzer introduced actually allows that board, the Alpha, to be in the same sentence as the other ones you have listed. The board is NO JOKE.

I am surprised the Phase5 is compared as a log for you, that I am shocked really - after reading your prior posts. I have, and own all 4 and I just don't get that. Do you mean it's slow? Unresponsive? Help me understand if you don't mind. I am just curious as I generally get and provide great feedback on their boards.

When you say The Walker Project copied the Walzer, are you referring to the Composite X 4.5, the 4'6" model?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
Loc, i found the phase 5 to be slow and very unresponsive..it doesnt have "feel" or provide the feedback like the Walzer does ( kinda like comparing a ford econo to a tuned bmw)..

also front foot placement with the phase 5 is really difficult and i found the board hard to hold in the pocket let alone fall back on (and my wake is pretty good in that regards).. btw, this may be due to the lack of traction on the phase 5...
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-31-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
Yikes, the Ford to the Bimmer!

That's interesting but it's your experience so it's good to hear.

The Phase5 traction is just two pads versus the split astro so no doubt there is more coverage on the board with the astro. The Walzers are smaller boards and as you go down, using the same astro deck will even be more coverage.

I personally use more of the board than any manufacturers apply traction for so maybe I am just used to it. Did you keep the astro and the arch or did you upgrade the traction on the Walzer? On my personal Walzer I destroyed the appearance although increased functionality by applying many trimmed xtrak crossbows since it's such a fatass board I needed more in the middle. The Walzer was so fast I found myself getting in the middle a lot and there wasn't nearly enough. I also plugged the gaps in the astro vertically, ironically - to make it more Phase5 like from a traction perspective. Ugly, yet effective.

Also, still curious on the Walker copy statement, I know our resident wardo has mentioned this multiple times as well, are you referring to the Composite line?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-31-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
If the Phase 5 is so slow and unresponsive how can Drew Daniello do all the amazing tricks he does( 5 shuvs, 3 shuv's, big spins, front shuvs) as well as considerable air.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
loc -in regards to walker - yes. btw, walkers shop is 5 minutes from my house.. he does have nice boards, but the latest and greatest is a walzer copy. no big deal imo, i think imitation is the highest form of flattery..

dennis - just stating my experience ie "i found"... like i said, i have ridden all 3 and thats what my experience was.. in fact, i have a buddys phase 5 right now while he out at sea..i have tried to warm up to the board, but havent.. it feels like a log in the water (imho and ymmv)

its amazing that drew can do what he does... i would venture to guess he can do it on a walker, walzer, shred stixx, and many others.. with that being said, it is more of the riders ability than the board used..

the best advice that was given is to try it and find out what works for you...

btw, you have rode my walzer... have you compared it to a phase 5 ?
Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-10-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
Hey Clubmyke... You mentioned earlier: "any board you should consider should be 1" thick..."

I just ordered an Alpha Twin 3/4" EC Walzer. Needless to say I am very psyched and glad to be upgrading from my LF Custom that you rode. Now I am a pretty light weight guy should I call the shop and get a 1" board? Any reason not to have the 3/4" board...?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-11-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
jason.... depends...really depends. having both is a good idea imo... should you go with a shorter board on 1" thick or a longer board that is 3/4" ? i dont know... trying both doesnt seem to a bad idea.. i have tried some 3/4" boards and they are a bit unforgiving imo ( i weigh 185lbs). they ride great and offer a bit more manuverability but i have hard time catching up if i have to.

was out this weekend behind a 210 and the guy had a 3/4" walker and had a hard time with it (he weighed 160 lbs)... great board but a 3/4" might be a bit unforgiving for a newbie rider (this is my opinion, ymmv)...

i suggest a 1" since it will float anyone..would suggest checking with sean ward, he is pretty good at dialing in the board/rider. let me know if your in san diego, i'll get some 1" and 3/4's to try out...