Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-28-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
i'm in my last year at Louisiana State University and i have been really interested in moving to the bay area. right now i am an Apple campus rep and if i play my cards right, i could very well jump in on the corporate level and make the move to California. what ever direction i choose, whether it's with Apple or a career in the action sports industry, i would like to live outside of my roots and living on the west coast has definitely been on my mind lately.

i've been doing my research and i am anxious to know what the wakeboarding scene is like in san fransisco/cupertino and the nor cal area. such as how big the rider base is and what rivers/lakes there are to ride on. any information would be awesome....

thanks y'all!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-01-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
Being that I'm from Canada you might think "what does this guy know!?!?"

However; this Canadian has been down to more than one of the CIE Spring Rides and I can tell you that the scene in this region is huge! I would argue that the majority of posters on these forums are from California and many of them Nor Cal. Check out the find a third/be a third forum for more of an idea but it's an easy place to find people to ride with.

I've been blessed to meet many great people and friends from Nor Cal and wakeworld by going to the Spring Ride Events. If you can make the 2010 event I suggest you do! It will be a great way for you to gauge the scene and make some friends prior to a move.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
The scene here is definitely huge. There are always people to ride with. Tons of great lakes as well. The only down side is the lack of cable parks. Other then that its great.
Old    kaligirl            03-01-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Congrats on your final year! I live in Elk Grove, a suburb of Sacramento. We have an Apple plant here and I'm ten minutes from a launch and a great wake scene. Always great people to ride with in great conditions. Besides the amazing Delta, there are easily 50 other water options within a couple hours drive, not to mention great snow in Lake Tahoe (if you partake of the frozen stuff). Good luck to you...way to go, keeping wake in mind as you make life's decisions!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-01-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
The only place that I can think of that would have a better/bigger wakeboard scene would be Florida. The Ca Delta is incredible.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-01-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
I'll second what Walt just said. The northern California scene is huge. There are so many great groups of riders. The CIE Spring ride is also one of the most talked about events of the year. We also have some of the most beautiful lakes to ride in the entire country. Just about every company does their yearly photo shoot for their catalogue at one of our lakes.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-01-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Yup, the bay has a great wake scene. It should be really easy to meet people to ride with.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-01-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
say i live in the cupertino/san fransisco area... how far is the nearest lake and/or river?

thanks for the feedback y'all. california is definitely an option.
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-01-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Near cupertino you have anderson in morgan hill which is probaly the closest lake but they have muscle inspections which are really annoying.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-01-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
100 % agree!!
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-01-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
We live in the mid peninsula are( MIllbrae). We ride usually 3-4 times a month all year round. There is always people to hit up and ride with. We usually go to Berryessa. There is a local board shop(The Liquid Playground), the owner wakeskates and is very knowledgeable. The nor cal / peninsula area is a great place. If you are in the area, hit us up we will take you to the lake.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-01-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
hahaha dmorrison.. yes i embraced 'hella' while i was in cupertino with the locals. i was there for apple marketing training and some of the reps who were from the area told me that i need to embrace the phrases:

"Let's go stupid."

"Let's go dumb."

"Let's go hyphie."

"Ghost ride the whip."

and "That's hella _____ . It's hella ______ "

it's funny cause they looked at me weird when i said things like"

"I'm fixin' to eat dinner."

"How's ya mom and 'em?"

"Y'ALL."

...but of course they knew the infamous phrase, "Who Dat!"

and it's not pronounced "New Orleans." it's pronounced "N'awlins." hahaha