Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-07-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
anyone know of a good shop in sd to get the sensors on my d70 cleaned?

thanks.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-07-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
There is a write up on Nikonians on how to clean it. Just make darn sure the battery is fully charged (A/C power is even better) and the mirror lock up is engaged.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-08-2007, 4:03 AM Reply   
Nelsons downtown on India. Biggest name for photography in San Diego,
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-08-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Joe I read somewhere that if you lock down your sensor and piss in it and then go buy a Canon, it works a lot better. haha.

Plus Canon is in socal and you can send yours in to them to clean it.

Like you really thought I had something good to say hahaha

(Message edited by antbug on December 08, 2007)
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-08-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
fixed
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-08-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   

quote:

Like you really thought I had something good to say

nope. that's exactly what i expected from you.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-08-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
I wish I could find the shot of a guy cleaning his Canon 1 series with his Tshirt!

Joe, get some sensor swabs, eclipse and do it yourself. (Anyone that can build a dollylama should be able to do it themselves) Plus everytime I had mine done by Canon it came back worst then when I sent it in.

The first couple of time it takes a few extra swabs but once you're comfortable with it it's a piece of cake plus I don't think it voids the Nikon warranty like it does with the Canons.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       12-16-2007, 1:45 AM Reply   
Better late, than never...

I had my 30D cleaned/repaired at Pro Photo Repair (858)277-3700. I'd recommend them to anyone... Very professional, very helpful.

Pro Photo Repair

-Blake
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-19-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Blake how much was it? I called awhile back (another place though) and it was pretty damn expensive.

I'm willing to try it again myself.

Rich:

Do you have product recommendations and a link to a tutorial on how to do it right? I tried it awhile back and just used the instructions in my 20D manual.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-19-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials

Sensor swabs are more expensive then buying his tool and making them yourself but I like their convenience. There are 2 types of Eclipse out there now, the newer Canon sensors may require Eclipse 2.

I'd get a rocket blower and blow out the box with the opening facing down before swabbing in case there's a gritty piece stuck to your sensor. The first time is a bit intimidating and takes a couple of tries, after that it get's much easier.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-20-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich, I ordered the kit and the rocket blower. I am long overdue and my daytime landscape shots are starting to look pretty bad.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       12-20-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
Blabel,

I don't know how much it was, my receipt isn't very detailed. My bill total was $150... But along with the CCD(?) and top cover cleaning, my focusing fresnel was replaced.

I'm guessing the initial cost was $50, but I could be off... I can't remember. They did give me an estimate, which changed only if I allowed it to.

Hope that helps...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-21-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Blake.