Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
Is there anything wrong with buying a board that has blemishes on it? If the sides of the board have small cracks maybe an inch long or so, does it hurt the performance of the board or the longevity of it?
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-04-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
and more important... are they still covered by your warranty?

i have no answer for any of these q's but thought i could add one
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-05-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Any blem products that I bought pretty much stated that blem means a blemish, i.e. something that lessens the quality of the appearance, but by no means lessens the quality of the function. When I see 'cracks', I don't think blem, I think 'damaged'.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-05-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
usually not it usually has to do with the graphics.
Old     (h2o_junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-05-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
Usually a blem doesn't have a warranty....or a short warranty period at best. Depends on the manufacturer
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-05-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
At least speaking for O'brien, they would not sell a blem board that had actual mechanical issues, only graphics.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-05-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
yea, sounds like you've got less than a 'blem'. Cracked rails are very much damaged and should not be considered blems. Usually graphics, but i bought a TFD that had one of the inside binding inserts jacked up, one that I wouldn't use anyway. I later ripped the inserts out, and hype warrantied the board. I've bought blems before without a problem and would do so again.

is this from an individual, shop or site?
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-05-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
it from a shop, but are you saying that if i buy their blem board and it breaks that they might warranty it?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-05-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have 2 O'Brien boards that were both Blem's when I purchased them and the only thing wrong with either board was a scratch on the bottom
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-05-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
02gt, thats exactly what i'm saying. I'm still ridin the 3ds i got in return.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-05-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
hold on a second, I misread your post.

I have no idea what shop you're dealing with or what company. So, no I'm not saying they will warranty anything.

But grizzly sports and hyperlite did for me.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-05-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Ive seen on wakeside boards sold as blems, but they dont have graphics messed up, they have little bumps from shipping or something like that. Im assuming thats the kind of blem your looking at
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-05-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
yeah i'm looking at a board that has a crack along the edge of the board, that is about an inch long or so, and i was just wondering if it will affect the performance of the board and will it break easier?
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       12-05-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
Blem boards generally have to do with graphics or finish; structurally they are fine. A crack along the edge? This board should not be sold/bought; you should run from anything with damage that goes to the glass of the board, it is only a matter of time before it snaps.
Factory blem boards are typically covered by warranties. I would not buy any blem board that does not carry a warranty or is damaged to the extent you are describing above, no matter how good the deal is.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-05-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
If this is the board in question, I'm not sure where you got the idea of a blem. The seller clearly states that the damage was caused from shipping. In my opinion, though, for $50 you can't really go wrong. Fill the cracks with some resin, wet sand, and call it good.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/521654.html?1196550312

(Message edited by brick on December 05, 2007)
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-05-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
i bought a blem in 04 it only had a few maybe pencil sized indents on the bottom, and have never had any problems, i still ride it now, if it was cracked i dont think i would have bought it
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
blems are boards with a cosmetic blemish like a graphic that is crooked or different. they are bought by shops from the manufactures usually to be used as demo boards. i am pretty sure they do not have a manufacture warranty.

as people have said. your board is not a blem. you can buy it and seal it up with resin though.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
I bought a blem Byerly. I got it for more than 1/2 off and itt had one small scratch you could barely see with the naked eye.

One day this hot girl was on our boat and I had just busted out an awesome sesh. I get into the boat afterward and she is all over me. Then, she notices my board out of the corner of eye, somehow spots the small scratch, and asks, "Is that a blem board?" I had to respond, "yes." Her alluring smile turned sour. She asked me to take her to the dock and I never saw her beautiful face again.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-05-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
I got a blem parks board, called the shop and told them, they phoned hyperlite and took it back. It was the last one, so I went somewhere else. The blem was a three inch extra mold line (at a weird angle) on the bottom of the board, it would have affected riding to a minor degree. Like something was in the mold when they made it, ie. a pencil or something of sorts.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-05-2007, 10:36 PM Reply   
I got a blem Byerly from Grizzly Sports and it bubbled on the base... Hype warrantied it for me and sent me a 3 year newer board.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-06-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Had a buddy with a blem board that had the same results as Tyler! I couldn't believe they gave him a new board.