Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-03-2018, 6:15 AM Reply   
I know there have been a thousand posts about tower speakers and usually it ends with a HLCD recommendation, but after installing a new set of Rev10s last night ... my god, there needs to be another thread on it.

Until a few years ago I've always just had cheaper stock co-ax speakers on the tower, then bought a boat that had Pro80s and was shocked how loud they were. I finally understood the HLCD hype. One Pro80 finally died and I replaced with Rev10s, and it was the same level of "Holy ****" from the Pro80s.

.... for the longest time I figured they were better but not that much better ... I was wrong. Tim and everyone at Wetsounds - good work. When even my wife, who would have never noticed in the past, comes out and is blown away by the sound quality you're doing something right.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2018, 6:40 AM Reply   
I always tell people I tried it to do it the cheaper way for years and wasn't very happy. I probably spent just as much on cheap speakers than a set of REV10's. Then I still had to buy the REV's to be happy. About 4 years ago I went ahead and bought REV 10's and haven't had an urge to touch the tower since. They just work and sound so good.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-03-2018, 8:39 AM Reply   
Speaker surface area, as in the difference between an 8" and 10" driver, is always an advantage, so you get that there. But further, the entire Rev series is new compared to the old pro series. The new cross-over and compression drive made a huge difference in sound quality. This is more noticeable when you compare the 8" pro-80 and the 8" rev-8. Here, you are experiencing the differences of the new design and not the surface area along with it.

I cant wait to see what the next new thing is going to be!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-07-2018, 6:43 PM Reply   
some of the old timers on the board here know that I had an early pair of Pro 485's, Tim thinks mine may have been the first pair of full production speakers Wetsounds shipped. They stood the test of time lasting 11 years, each speaker being driven by 800 watts of Syn 2 amplification. Many tie ups, several stereo competitions, lots of intoxicated houseboat trips, and they never missed a beat. Finally this year after me being too lazy to pull the tower speakers one of the 8" drivers stopped working. I pulled it apart and found the speaker had taken on a couple inches of water through my custom modified LED grills. We worked out a deal since no more of the 8" replacement drivers were available and a few days later the Rev 410's showed up on my porch. I have only been out a couple times but the depth of sound and range is truly amazing. First my buddy heard it he says time for him to upgrade too, he plans to add a 410 to his four Pro 60's on his Malibu. Great stuff!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-08-2018, 5:41 AM Reply   
Love my wetsounds. I have had a set of pro 485's and thought they were amazing then I got the first set of 410's and was blown away. That boat is long gone but the speakers are still pounding. Since I have done 4 rev 10' and it was awesome but not as good as the 410's. We have since moved to buying a new boat every 2 years but order our boats with factory stereos then got and replace with wetsounds. I keep it simple now and just run a set of revs because it is to hard to recover the cost for a crazy system but with just a set of revs it's more than plenty.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-08-2018, 2:14 PM Reply   
Mikeski, I'd tell you buddy to ditch those Pro60's while he's add it and either add another 410 or a pair of Rev10's. The difference going from my old Pro60's to Rev10's was a night and day difference alone.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-08-2018, 3:40 PM Reply   
I am on my 5th year with rev10s cant say enough about them. had to replace on horn, but have been amazing speakers.