Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-26-2018, 12:29 AM Reply   
Alright, we’re looking for a boat that throws the best wake near $10,000 range. Show your pics off! Give your input! Let’s see/ hear about them!!
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-26-2018, 3:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin2857 View Post
Alright, we’re looking for a boat that throws the best wake near $10,000 range. Show your pics off! Give your input! Let’s see/ hear about them!!

For $10k?! Well it’s going to be old as ****.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-26-2018, 5:23 AM Reply   
You might try looking into a Sanger DLX 20 they can be set up to wakeboard really well. It can be surfed as well but takes a ton of weight. Good handling and good rough water ride and sips fuel compared to the bigger boats . Dont worry about the age just make sure its been well taken care of . All of us cant afford to buy a 100k boat .
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2018, 9:24 AM Reply   
Sport Nautique, MC 205, Malibu Sunsetter, Supra Sunsport, Hydrodyne Legacy

.... if you can squeeze out another 4-5k you can find a V-drive, which would be well worth the extra money. I think my brother sold his SuperSport Nautique for $14.5k a few years ago - with ballast and a tower.
Old     (Tallredrider)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-26-2018, 12:27 PM Reply   
I would not hesitate to get an older nautique. In those days, all of the boats were made for the smallest wake possible. But a Ski nautique at 22 MPH has a dynamite wakeboard wake with a little ballast in it. They can often be had in the 10K range.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-26-2018, 8:53 PM Reply   
Is $10k your whole budget? Whatever you buy in that price range is probably going to need some work. I picked up an 83 Ski Nautiqie a couple of years ago for $4,000. After some minor engine work, trailer work, tower, and ballast I’m probably in about $7k doing mostly my own work. But the wake is awesome for the price and the interior is in incredible condition. If you’re looking for something like a Sport Nautique or Sunsetter I’d advise looking in the $7k-$8k range to stay under $10k total.
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-26-2018, 11:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Is $10k your whole budget? Whatever you buy in that price range is probably going to need some work. I picked up an 83 Ski Nautiqie a couple of years ago for $4,000. After some minor engine work, trailer work, tower, and ballast I’m probably in about $7k doing mostly my own work. But the wake is awesome for the price and the interior is in incredible condition. If you’re looking for something like a Sport Nautique or Sunsetter I’d advise looking in the $7k-$8k range to stay under $10k total.
Unfortunately, ya. I may be able to swing something $12,500 down the line. A V-drive does sound really sick now that I have been thinking about it. Do you have any pics of your nautiqie wake? Or anyone have any pics of their sunsetter wake? How about moomba
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       06-27-2018, 12:24 AM Reply   
Go find a DD wakeboard Calabria and build a surf gate system. I can not tell how how great of a wave it will put out when slammed. I was blown away when I first rode it.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-27-2018, 5:30 PM Reply   
Here is what you can make of an old Air Nautique. More importantly, here is what you can do behind it. I love these vids of people absolutely ripping on older boats. You don’t need to spend $100k to shred.

Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-27-2018, 9:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Here is what you can make of an old Air Nautique. More importantly, here is what you can do behind it. I love these vids of people absolutely ripping on older boats. You don’t need to spend $100k to shred.

Damn that would perfect if I could find one in that price range!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-28-2018, 8:48 AM Reply   
not sure where you are, this one in OH
https://www.onlyinboards.com/1992-Cl...hio-83063.aspx
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-28-2018, 10:18 AM Reply   
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa...625284359.html

Here's a really nice one in Tennessee for 12K
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-28-2018, 11:33 AM Reply   
awesome what you can buy for 12'ish these days. when I got in the game back in 2000, there was NOTHING out there, definitely no V-drives in that range!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-28-2018, 4:35 PM Reply   
Sorry I don’t have pics of my wake but there are lots of pics of 2001 Ski Nautique wake on the internet. It was the first real “budget” wakeboarding boat. It’s a smaller boat (20’01” with the swim deck, hence it’s name) and closed bow so it’s not really suitable for just hanging out if there are more than 2 or 3 people on board. You asked about Moomba. I’d buy a new Moomba in a heartbeat but they weren’t always the best built boats around. I don’t think I’d buy one priced in your budget unless it was a great deal.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-29-2018, 6:43 PM Reply   
I've been behind a 89 sunsetter (open bow) and its ok but not as good as the nautique's. The nautique's have that kick that really helps out since the wakes are so small. i'd even say the 2001 beats the o/b sunsetter, but i can't speak on the 1995+ malibu's. Never ridden those.

I'd say the best wake would be a 93+ air/sport nautique.

Here's a vid of the SKI Nautique 2001 slammed with weight. Video is my friend and me (order of appearance) back in our college days.

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-04-2018, 8:50 PM Reply   
Nice!!!

Wake looks sick on that 2001. Used to ride with a guy that had one, dollar for dollar, that has to be the best budget wake boat. Sure you give up some space and amenities with the closed bow, but damn can those boats make a poppy, vertical wake for their size.

Nice vid, you both got style for days... enjoyed this more than the most recent insta post with a double tantrum and ts 9. Hard poked TS 180 by first rider was on point.
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-09-2018, 11:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam6961 View Post
I've been behind a 89 sunsetter (open bow) and its ok but not as good as the nautique's. The nautique's have that kick that really helps out since the wakes are so small. i'd even say the 2001 beats the o/b sunsetter, but i can't speak on the 1995+ malibu's. Never ridden those.

I'd say the best wake would be a 93+ air/sport nautique.

Here's a vid of the SKI Nautique 2001 slammed with weight. Video is my friend and me (order of appearance) back in our college days.

What year is that Nautique? How long was your line? It looks kinda short... can you wakesurf behind that thing?
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-10-2018, 9:53 AM Reply   
I think I’ve narrowed it down to 2 boats... Would you guys go for an Excel v-drive, or an older ski Nautique 2001? Which has the best wake? Can you surf behind both?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-11-2018, 7:47 AM Reply   
2001 for sure. It may be a little more, but its value will never go down because is has a cult following. You could keep it for 10 years and if you bought right and took care of it get all your money right back out.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2018, 10:45 AM Reply   
I had an 89 Sunsetter for a few years and it was a great budget boat. The older Sunsetters and 2001 Nautiques were very similar to their later counterparts. By that I mean, the Sunsetter had a rampier wake like a Wakesetter regardless of how you weighted it. A 2001 hull Nautique had a steeper wake like the Nautique 210's in the 2000's. Both are fun and can get you on the water and many of my crew stomped their first 3's, 5's and inverts behind either my Sunsetter or the 2001 Nautique that another guy had.
The Nautiques that I have been around were built better than the Malibu's of the late 80's. Correct Craft had been building boats for many years before Malibu came along. Whichever way you go, make sure the stringers and floors are good. A lot of boats in your budget are going to have wooden stringers and floors.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-18-2018, 3:20 PM Reply   
Between a Excel and 2001 I'd be inclined to go with a 2001. I've heard the Excel has a washy wake at lower speeds, but I've never seen one in person either.

Also consider Supra SunSport and Saltare if you want an open bow and a larger boat, lots of freeboard on these models. I have had a Saltare for nearly 8 years now, very happy with it. It seems the boats around $10k these days are the same models that were around $10k 8 years ago. Sport Nautique is another option for an open bow. Biggest thing to be aware of with older boats is stringer condition. Be aware of what year they switched to composite stringers, a composite stringer boat will run you closer to $15k but sometimes you'll find them only a little over $10k. Composite stringer boats can still have saturated foam and glass damage from freezing, a wet boat is bad no matter what.

A quick check of wood stringer condition is to bring a small adjustable wrench with you and try to tighten the motor and trans mount lags. They'll spin if you wrench on them no matter what but applying fairly light pressure they should either not move or turn a bit but you'll feel them biting into solid wood. Every wood stringer boat that has original stringers will need a stringer job, just a matter of when. SN2001 are relatively easy as you don't need to remove the cap and they're small enough to fit in most garages. Most other boats you'd consider will be larger and require cap removal to do stringers. Just things to consider for the long run.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-18-2018, 9:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin2857
What year is that Nautique? How long was your line? It looks kinda short... can you wakesurf behind that thing?
Its an 1984, first rider was 65' and I was 70'. Yes you can but its not that great unless you really slam it to one side.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-20-2018, 10:01 AM Reply   
I've ridden an excel plenty of times (well 1/2 decade ago) i'll echo the above, very washy wake, and shaped like an IO. I'd go SN2001 over it. The SN2001 will also have more interior space, the seating in the excel is a little goofy with how big the rear sun platform is.
Old     (colin2857)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-21-2018, 9:02 PM Reply   
Looks like we’re set on a Ski Nautique 2001 😁. If anyone in the midwest area has one for sale or knows of anyone please post it! It’ll be sometime in the winter. We live by Table Rock Lake, in Branson, MIssouri
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-02-2018, 11:55 AM Reply   
another vote for a 92 or newer Supra. I had a 92 supra sunsport and it was the first year of the all composite boat.

I don't know why you'd want a closed bow boat. The Supra Sunsport had the open bow, tons of freeboard and was a great all around boat. I got mine for under $10k with a tower, board racks, bimini, hard plumbed ballast on a reversible pump, dual batteries, etc.

It was a fantastic first boat for me.

Last edited by trayson; 08-02-2018 at 12:00 PM.