Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-28-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Everyone runs into hard times now and again so I was thinking of a project a place I used to work at had. When you are hired you designated a certain amount of your pay check to the cause.Usually .25 or up to a dollar. If someone in the company fell on hard times they would fill out a petition stating their needs. An anonymous committee would get their request and if accepted they would be allotted the funds. In these times I think we need this. I will start by donating $500 dollars. Who else is in? I will go to the bank tomorrow and set up an account if people are interested. I would also ask that you pm me people you would like to be on the decision making board. I would vote for David Williams, Only Inboards, and hate and pain. Just my thoughts. Let me know what you think?
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
I think it will be too hard because there are so many people on here, and in times like this, there are so many in need, it would be hard to pick someone let alone everyone. Plus I wouldnt trust a bunch of strangers on the internet.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-29-2009, 5:01 AM Reply   
You should prob just find people in your area Dan. Is there like food pantries or other places you could donate to? I like the idea of helping out on WakeWorld, but I feel sure there are things you could do around your home to help out.

Extreme Home Makeover is coming to my home town in about 2 weeks and myself and a couple friends have volunteered our time for the weekend.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-29-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
how about something that would help local business owners of the WW board stimulate business. that would help the local communities by help keeping people employed. for example offer a ww discount for services or product. not wakeboard or boat related of course.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-29-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Very noble of you Dan. I've been lucky enough to be a part of such an effort within the hydrofoil community. And was even the recipient of a free plane ticket to an event when I was not employed at the time. It was really cool to see everyone step up & contribute. It might be tough to decide on the recipients, but then again nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Hey Shaun, you should take up a pool for the recipients of the Extreme Home Makeover so they can afford the taxes on what they get. We had a family get that deal here & 2 yrs later they had filed bankruptcy. The property & gift taxes sank them in a hurry.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-29-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
I believe in the philosophy of I rather let ten guilty people go then send one innocent person to jail. If somebody scams us every now and then, they will have to answer to a higher power. Shaun I already do help out locally. I was just thinking of government bail outs and how they are keeping the banks a float, but not the boat owners. Many on here live paycheck to paycheck and we all know what happens once you miss one boat payment it is very hard to catch up. Like I said it is up to the community to decide to do it. If David or somebody else wants to be in control I would simply send them a check.In order for it to work you have to keep contributing. We can all make an initial investment then say five dollars a month.
Thanks,
Dan
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-31-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Dont take this the wrong way, but if people are on this website, more often than not to afford a wakeboat of nearly any price, a person is doing things right (generically speaking) or someone did something too stupid to be deserving of a gift.

Just my .02