Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-20-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Wondering how many have had their ACL repaired and then tore it again? Curious what kind of surgery you had, allograft or autograft, and what event caused both tears. Was there any complications on repairing it the third time?

I have had both my knees repaired with autograft (patellar tendon graft). I still ride, but now im getting back into inverts and bigger tricks. Im deathly afraid of tearing again cause the rehab is not something I ever wnat to go through again. Im back to the point of dropping some serious coin on a new wakeboat but think I am fairly suceptible to a new tear. I would be super pissed if I bought a new boat, and jacked myself up again.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-20-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Twice, same knee, same trick, same people in the boat, 5 years apart.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-20-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have a buddy whos a pro snowboarder he has gone through 3 acls on the same knee.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-20-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
I have torn my left ACL 2 times now. 3 years apart I believe. Both while wakeboarding.

McFly
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have had my acl replaced also with the patella tendon graft. I am also worried about tearing it again but my doctor also said that you can stretch the acl ligament and it can be just as bad and would need to be replaced again. Dont just worry about tearing it.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-20-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Mike, you can get killed walkin' your doggie! Not sure where this quote is from, some older Pacino flick I think, anyway I use it all the time. If you go through life thinking about all the crappy things that could happen it will have a negative influence on the situations you find yourself in. Grab the bull by the nuts and jump in! Oh and by the way, when you pick it up I get a free pull... figure I got one comin'. What are you looking at, or do you already have something in mind?
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-20-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
Remember too, many memories and good times come from just hanging out. I can think of several days/nights on the water where it was blown out or raining and I had the time of my life, never even removing a single board from the rack.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-20-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
just trying to talk Gwin into a deal :-) haha. I agree though, I love just being out on the water. Ride a bit, hang a bit and maybe throw a few back.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-22-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
if you don't have a good brace, then get one! even if you/your dr doesn't think it's necessary, it will help get your head sorted again. nothing like having a safety blanket :-)
I know for a fact my brace has saved me numerous times since my acl surgery - I'm fairly sure I'd feeze up and freak out if i ever had to ride without it.

for all those people that have torn the same acl more than once - were any of you wearing braces?
(I'm genuinely curious - not trying to make a point)
Old     (bobbyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-22-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Damm it would suck to tear the same acl twice. I am still recovering from my first one.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-23-2009, 5:33 AM Reply   
Yep. Donjoy. Have since switched to a CTI.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-23-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
I wear a CTI Vapor on both knees. I tried snowboading without them once this winter and couldnt do it. Ive had them all along, probably 3 years now. I just read some documentation that your patellar tendon is actually stronger than the original ACL, and I wondered if it was less likely to retear. Maybe I should have phrased the question as who has torn an ACL, got back to 100% where they left off and has not had a reinjury.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-23-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
and for the record, If I had them to do over again, I would have went for the cadaver ACL (allograft). I think the stress on your patellar tendon after the harvest is the worst part about the rehab and I can still feel it, 3 years later on one knee and 5 on the other. Id be happier just buying dead peoples ACLs one after the other I think. :-)
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
First off, a knee brace isn't a guarantee that you won't damage your knee again. Nothing is a guarantee. That being said, I can't tell you how many times I have received calls from different athletes telling me stories about how their brace saved their knee from a definite blowout. Wakeboarding puts unnatural forces on your knees. A brace helps by providing both physical and mental support. If you do it once to a healthy knee... what makes you think you won't do it again to a surgically repaired one.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-23-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
Iv done it 3 times CTI brace or I dont go. Rehab 3rd time sucks.(allograft)
Old     (jammerwakestl)      Join Date: May 2007       03-24-2009, 5:11 AM Reply   
Same knee twice. First was the patella tendon graft, painful long hard rehab. 1 year later torn again. This time I had done enough damage to have a graft taken from my hamstring on the other leg. Both legs operated on at the same time. This rehab was much easier, atleast it seemed. The hamsrting is even more plyable and quote un quote 200% stronger than a patella graft. I now wear two cti braces every time i leave the dock. Do i need them? most likely not, but to me it's like wearing my life jacket. And the thought of a third time just sucks.

(Message edited by jammerwakestl on March 24, 2009)
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-24-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
Im with you Jimmy.

Anyone had both the patellar graft and a cadaver graft and cares to compare the rehab? I will most definitely go for the cadaver should I ever tear one again, but Im curious if anyone has already had the experience?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-24-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Patellar graft 3 years ago. 1 1/2 yrs later, wearing a brace, shredded it. It looks like someone put my ACL through a cheese grater.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-24-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
tore my right acl 2wice first from double up grab h/s 5 to flats and second 5 months after on front to fakie i had cadaver as well
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-24-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
on my second tear of the ACL now. Had a cadaver graft in 2002 rehab was quick and painless and end result was great. however on 1/1/09 my dirt bike fell back agaisnt it after looping out and folded the knee backwards retore the ACL. To fix it will take 2 surgeries first remove old and bone graft mounting points then rehab and and 3 month later more surgical fun. sounds like a year ruined and according to the doc a chance of a much poorer outcome this time
Old     (bcnumber1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-24-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
Had the hamstring than cadaver done. Both were equal in PT, with the tie breaker going to cadaver. Patella is going to be a lot more pain because they are removing a graft from the tendon that takes on a lot of physical pressure when you are bending your knee. Taking out a piece of this tendon will cause more swelling and ultimately more pain then the other two graft choices.
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-26-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
Ye sI have on my left twice, and a total of 7 knee surgeries....rehab and strength training is the ONLY way back.

If you want to PM me I'd be happy to share some more advice, it's pretty extensive as I've been through it all ....I think.....BTW I am very superstitous so even replying to this thread scares the hell out of me...but hopefully the good karma gods will take care of me as I want to help!!