Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Hydrofoiling

Old                09-07-2003, 7:51 PM Reply   
Have you seen the movie "Step into liquid" It's about how much better surfing is than anything else in the world. The surfers in the movie mount a hydrofoil from an air chair onto a wakeboard and mount snowboard bindings to it and then ride mountains of water. Why don't we all do ourselves a favor and take a que from these innovative individuals. The future of wakeboarding could be hydrofoiling. The problem is they haven't done a good job making it appealing. Why couldn't you jump higher standing up on a foil than sitting down. Someone out there please stand up and make air boarding the coolest sport in the world. Air Chairing can't take off, no young person in their right mind thinks that it's cool. Because sitting down is for old people like Mike Murphy.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
Not adding much value here, are ya Timothy?

Mike Murphy (Sky Ski) is making convertible Skyskis that can do both Airboard and regular sit down hydrofoil.

People kite board with foils to, that's big air.

I've done both and prefer the sit down version.

Have you tired it? I think that it will be a while before some one on an airboard is out jumping wakeboarders in height. Let alone a good rider on a sit down hydrofoil.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-07-2003, 10:45 PM Reply   
Apparently Timothy had a goal to insult everyone on the board in the first day. I'm thinking that he almost made it - but where did his posts go?
Old                10-13-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
sean are you saying wakeboarders get more air than foilers? I do both and cant get near the air on my wakeboard even off double ups than I can off my chair or am I misunderstanding you?
Old                10-13-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
Ron, I believe he's saying a good foiler will get mroe air than a boarder.

Even if a boarder took the Big Air contest last year!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-13-2003, 3:44 PM Reply   
What I was saying is that I think wakeboarders get more air than airboarders (stand up hydrofoils).

I also think that it will be a while before anyone on an airboard can go as high as a wakeboarder let alone sit down hydrofoil.

A good rider on a sit down hydrofoil will out jump most wakeboarders.
Old                10-13-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
ahh ok, makes sense now. Its hard for me to take time out to wakeboard now days that I have this foil, so much more fun in certain ways and so much higher!
Old     (totall_troy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-14-2003, 7:53 PM Reply   
There is no way,no way a pro wakeboarder can get higher than a pro hydrofoiler.Did you guy's see the pic of jake bradley at the flight worlds this year throwing that HUGE!! gainer it was sick.
Old                10-15-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
Sorry Troy, but we were humiliated a year ago at the Big Air Contest.

(Message edited by leggester on October 15, 2003)
Old                10-15-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
Here's my opinion on this, although a pro wakeboarder can go HUGE off a double-up, a foiler of average skill can go consistently higher than a boarder of any skill when travelling straight line. Plus, foilers can go just as big in the flats, either side. I won't even go into the endless combo possibilities.
Old     (totall_troy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-15-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
Matt, WOW this is the first I've heard of it.Is there a video I can down load to watch.I got nothing against wakeboarders,I just like to see big air.I agree with Jonathan.
I'd like to see a pro wakeboarder go off a double-up.Then a pro hydrofoiler go off a parallel from another boats wake.That would be cool to see. Later TROY
Old                10-16-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
Troy, don't know if there's video. Check with the yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil/

Someone there may have it.

It was a Big Air contest in AZ, IIRC. The boarder went about 1' higher than the foiler.
Old     (totall_troy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-16-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
Matt,are you onyahoo group? Have you ever been to a flyin if so wich one I've been to TN twice and Michigan twice if you go to TN this year we should ride together.C'ya TROY
Old                10-17-2003, 5:55 AM Reply   
I'm listed there. Haven't been real active for awhile. Can't seem to get into a $5K ride and the saem discussion about polishing all the time.

Haven't made a fly-in. FLA and TN are a bit out of my area. We had a mini get together in Wyoming a couple years ago. Met Ewing, Jorgensen and a fella named Tom. Nice folks.

Now, if you want to talk about getting together a Powell - that's a different story :-)
Old                10-17-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
Matt, if you'd ever visit your in-laws in Snyder, you could make the Texas fly-in.
Yeah, I know, you've got a good excuse.
Old     (totall_troy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-17-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
Matt if you ever make it to South/Chicago I'll take you for a pull.
Old                10-20-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
Jonathan - I'll have to make that trip one of these days! Hopefully, no more problems come up for awhile - knock on wood!

Troy! You're on. My father lives in Peotone, about 20 miles north of Kankakee. You go on the Des Plaines or Kankakee?
Old     (totall_troy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-20-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
Dude!! I live in bourbonnais I ride the kankakee all the time!What a small world.MY email TROY.WEBER@WORLDNET.ATT.NET

P.S. I landed and rode away with my first Gainer on sunday at lake clinton,I'm so pumped!!
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       10-27-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ok, so an airboard is a stand up hydrofoil. Has anyone seen the Slalom Ski mounted with a hydrofoil? I'm sure it's custom but has anyone seen or heard of it? So far nobody knows what I'm talking about.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-07-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
Hey T-Rev,
Those skis with the foils on them are like 35 years old. Their called Dynaflites & I've seen them for sale on Waterski.net. I have a pair of them & they are pretty funny to look at, much less ski on! For some pics, check this story out: http://airjunky.com/history/
--
Bill - bill@airjunky.com
http://airjunky.com
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-08-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have a bad knee now, does that mean I should start Foiling?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-08-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
ahhhhhh, come over to the dark side not so young one. You know you want to!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-08-2003, 6:58 PM Reply   
Only if you can handle the airtime, Hahn! :P
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-08-2003, 10:36 PM Reply   
You guys go to big for me!
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       12-10-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
Thanx Bill,

Those are the funniest things I've ever seen! I'm a slalom skiier mostly but I just saw the movie with Mike Murphy on the foil and it brought a big happy grin to my face. I never took to Wakeboarding very much but I've always been interested in the Foils.

I just never bought one because I figured once I rode it, I would like it too much and I would never use my ski again. I thought the Ski/Foil was a way to compromise. I guess not!

T-Rev
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-10-2003, 7:13 PM Reply   
Compromise?! Haaa!

Sittin down or standing up, flying a foil is the way to get bigger air, ride longer, and ultimately get a bigger grin out of ANY rider! Now days riders are doing inverts, spins, & mobes. Their riding as young as 2 yrs old, and as old as 84 yrs young! It's a finesse sport & once you've got a handle on flying, can take less energy (and horsepower) than anything else.

The ONLY reason not to get on a foil is if you don't want to put a TON of hours on your boat!

Let us know where you ski T-Rev, and I can hook you up with a rider in your area.
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       12-11-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
That's pretty cool of ya.

I live in Waterford Michigan. Close to Detroit. The boat is all packed up for the winter. We don't have any foilers out on our lake though. My bro's and I are really the only water sports nuts out on our lake. The rest are just weekend warriors and tubers.

If you are ever out this way let me know and we'll drag you around the lake.

T-Rev