Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old    murrayair            05-13-2005, 11:48 PM Reply   
Today was the official first day riding this season, so I took the afternoon off and headed out to Folsom Lake to enjoy some time riding and having fun with my friends. I headed up the South Fork, as usual, to scout out some good water. Now, there are always other boats out taking advantage of the coves and generally decent water that the south arm has to offer, and I'm used to dealing with the chop that comes with sharing the water with other people. But today was almost not worth it. It was so choppy that you could only get like 15 seconds of half good riding in for every 5 mins you were out there(ok, that's an exageration, but not by much). Normally I would just shrug it off and deal with it, but in addition to the bad water, I could swear every idiot with a boat or jet ski was out there. One guy threw power turn 50 ft. off my bow while I was throwing a rope to a rider who was sitting in the water, sending two huge waves over the nose of my boat, which soaked every single dry shirt, towel and sweatshirt we had, not to mention some of our snacks. Another guy decided he needed to squeeze between my boat and one close off to my left while the rider he was towing cut straight out in front of me. I didn't want to slow down and drop my rider because there were several boats close behind me. I finally got his attention after waving my arms and yelling and the rider cut back in, thankfully. All that in addition to the tubers and jet skiiers that don't seem to get that their respective activites can be done in the middle of the lake without crapping it up for the rest of us.

Sorry, I just get so frustrated with stuff like this. Just needed to vent a little. In all fairness, there were some good people out there that were very respectful and used common sense and courtesy. If you are someone like that, I thank you and respect you deeply.
Old    drewsky24            05-14-2005, 4:01 AM Reply   
Tubes suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2005, 4:27 AM Reply   
WELCOME TO FOLSOM.....lake of the inconsiderates. Folsom will now be like this until Labor Day. Time to start scheduling dawn patrols....The only time Folsom is free from idiots.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (wakeboardwade)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-14-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
You thinks thats bad i got a story for you. One day we were out having a great day nothing going wrong. There is a little strip of water that is always smoth behind my house so we usually ride that. And we go all the way till we have to turn around and do a double up. Well we did the run and went into the double up and my brother atemped a tantrum to blind and didnt make it when i swing back around to pick him up all i an hear is mother F***** get your ass out of here and stuff like this i was like what? It turned out some fisherman was over in the corner and out double up rollers were pissing him off. So we left him alone, about 5 minutes later when we had out the boat in the slip i hear a jet ski go by and the same screaming, then i see the jet ski come about say 5 feet away and do an awesome power turn in the stupid guys face, then he ride away really slow giving the fishing dude the bird, it was probably the best thing i have ever seen happen to a jerk on the lake! after that the dude in the ghetto boat came by the dock on his way back to the marina what look like he was crying, but i deffinatly know he was soaking wet. I think this guy was retarded.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-14-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
We were out there also. OMG, no more trips to Folsom for the rest of the summer. Thought we might get lucky one last time, I was wrong. Your day sounds just about like ours Mark. Nothing but crap water and jerks go lower. I must say though, most of the WW boats were cool.
Old    drewsky24            05-14-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
Wade~ thats one of the few times jet skis's come handy.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-16-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Me and a couple friends made the dawn patrol at Berryess sat and about 10:30 on the button out came everyone like a swarm of bee's. Luckily we were finished riding and started emptying the sac's when a couple wakeboarders showed up and destroyed the water with power turns to pick up there riders. I thought about trying to explain to them how to turn around but didnt think they would be responsive.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-16-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
I wish I could have seen the jetski soakin the fisherman. Nothing against fishermen, we have to share the water. being an you nowhere.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-17-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
Folsoms awesome. I dont care what you guys say. I love goin out on that lake, you get the funniest people. Everyone on that lake thinks they are so cool. People pass by each other giving the "hardest" looks like "im better than you" . And you gotta love the best trick move. Everytime you pass by someone they gotta look cool in front of complete strangers so they try the hardest trick they can do, which usually is a raley... man i wish i could do raleys in front of strangers to look cool for that split second.. some day..
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
I've noticed the trick thing also. Especially if we're in our Air Nautique and they are behind an IO. It happens so much I usually predict it before they get to us. ....First pass by our boat is usually a backroll, and second pass is usually a tantrum.

When we first got the boat, people would stop and watch us, because of the boat, and occasionally even cheer for something like a big 180 or 360. Now everybody and their mom has a wakeboat and unless your throwing pete rose's or something they don't care...which I prefer...since I can't do one anyway...haha
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
It's a crap shoot out there. Mark, if we see you out there, we will certainly try to respect and share the water with you. There' alot of us locals that do know how to drive straight lines, make loop turns to minimize throwing wakes across the lake, and not power turn when the rider falls.

Remember, it is spring and every rookie will be out there with their new ride. Education is key.

If you search the posts here I posted something last year from a WBM magazine article that has some good driving tips.
Old    murrayair            05-17-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
I agree with you, John. People just need a little education. The problem is that most of them think you are talking down to them when you try to give them tips on how to share the water, which is obviously not the case.

Danny- yeah, it is funny when people ride past you and try to stare you down, isnt it, haha!
Old    robertt            05-19-2005, 5:22 AM Reply   
Can anybody post some info or links on the driving tips and common courtesy tips. I would love to link to them in an email to all the people that I go out with so they know I am not just being a pain in the butt. Yesterday, a friend just couldn't understand why I didn't power turn around to pick him up (he was cold). Go figure.

anyway, a link or two would be cool. I hope to learn something myself.
Old    murrayair            05-19-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
Check these articles out, Robert.

http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/perfectpull.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/thatboat.asp
Old    robertt            05-19-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Those are great...thanks. Copies are being made right now
Old    jacobv            05-19-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
Hey folsom people, i hate it when that happens, i rarely go to folsom, i live between sly Park and folsom so i have a choice and i go to sly park beceause it can't be beat on a summer morning... glass... and no jet skis.
Old    murrayair            05-19-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
Sly Park's big problem is its size(too small) and it isn't shielded from the wind. I never go to SP in the afternoons anymore because the water is horrible every single time. Don't get me wrong, I love to wakeboard there, I just have a hard time finding good water. Like you said, it's good in the morning, but I work (and sleep) in the mornings.