Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 11:14 PM Reply   
Anyone towing with this truck? I have a 2012 ram hemi quad cab and have had zero problems so far. Anyone have problems with it pulling a 20-21 ft boat regularly?
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 4:28 AM Reply   
I pull my 21 foot '95 Sport Nautique with a Santa Fe and it pulls just fine. Suspension could be better. Can't imagine a Ram with a hemi is going to have much trouble.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-22-2016, 5:17 AM Reply   
It will pull it easily! I hope your not using boat ramps that are gravel though. The one I use often is gravel and see 2wd trucks spinning tires and getting stuck all the time.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-22-2016, 6:12 AM Reply   
As long as you use the tow switch and take it out of OD no way a problem ever. I have a 2000 ram 5.9 liter, bigger motor but same truck without modernization. That truck could pull anything. My trailer brakes are a welcome edition as I used to replace rotors every 20000 from the heavy braking from driving too fast to get to 70 mile away fishing ramps and my fishing boat was lighter by alot but had no brakes. Braking is all ways the issue unless as he says above that you have a bad launch or a super steep and wet concrete ramp at the big lakes and reservoirs . By the way my old truck gets 8mpg when towing unless it is a very long trip when it could rise a little towards 9 and 10mpg. New trucks have 4 wheel disk and brake much better but it's all about the trailer brakes
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-22-2016, 6:14 AM Reply   
A ram could pull anything !!!!
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-22-2016, 6:40 AM Reply   
'Merica!!!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-22-2016, 7:14 PM Reply   
You need to go swoop a Tuareg! Lol
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 7:28 PM Reply   
Sounds good. The engine is definitely strong,I will be pulling very regular in summer and was slightly concerned about the tranny after a few years of towing. Of course most all of that can be prevented with routine maintenance obviously. Does not sound like anyone is having issues by the sound of the responses here though, which is good to hear.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-24-2016, 7:56 AM Reply   
The 2000 ram called for tranny and diff fluids under dusty roads or regular towing every 12000 miles per manual. Mostly using the tow haul button is really the main concern so that the orbital gear is not involved in a lot if gear changes. I drive so slow now that I don't even shift out of 3rd when going over huge bridges. The over shifting is the main problem . I have a "OD off" button. It's not labeled tow haul. So I read manual in 2000 top to bottom and it made no reference to having to use it. So I wasted my 1st transmission at 50000. Still didn't learn lesson till I did it a second time just before my 75000 extended warranty expired. Grew up and replaced my gotta get to the fishing hole mentality and started driving real slow in 3rd gear. If I were to drive 70 with the old fishing boat I would have gotten 6 miles to gallon. At 50 -55 I get 8, maybe 10 For a long haul
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-24-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
I wouldn't consider smoking 2 trannies as "no problem no way ever"...

A tuner with a tow tune should help it shift better. Could also put a shift kit on it.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-26-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
Point is , use tow haul button no problems
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-26-2016, 11:10 AM Reply   
wow the transmissions are that ****ty?

Even my Honda Pilot is fine pulling an A20 with Overdrive on. Doesn't hunt badly at all. 65k and still runs like the day I bought it.

I'd never but a boat towing vehicle without 4WD though. Boat ramps get slippery and steep and you never want to show up at an unfamiliar ramp and end up getting stuck doing a one-wheel peel on the ramp.