Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old    plarad            06-07-2005, 11:49 PM Reply   
Im 5'9'' 165lb living in Bangkok, Thailand. Just a beginner (been wake for 5 months) Now looking for new board + bindings.. cable riding only. So would like to get advices from you guys.

1shop recommends me a '05 HL Motive140.. price's reasonable but I have no clue if it's fit to me? They also have '03 HL PARK138 + CWB Zeus 04 (both 50% off) heard many riders said the PARK isn't for beginners?? Thank you so much in advance...
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-08-2005, 1:52 AM Reply   
wudn't go for a 3stage rocker. cables are better for continous/mild 3 stage boards.

Although really good riders sometimes use 3stage boards on the cable, its always recomended that continous (motive) would be better.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
I think you would be better off with the 134 Motive. I'm 5'8" 155lbs and ride a 134 Motive on the cable. I've owned and ridden a 128, 134, and 140, and liked the 140 the least. And if the cable is running 32Kmph, which OWC usually does, the 128 was quite nice until I worn out the bottom on the sliders.
Old    plarad            06-08-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
thanks a lot Harry and John.. seems like MOTIVE is a better choice for me to go off.. Well, John r u really think that with 165lb should i go off with 134 Motive? and what are differences between riding 134 and 140 for me? pros, cons ..
Old    drewsky24            06-08-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
If all that you ride is cable and there are sliders you should buy the Hyperlite Roam.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-09-2005, 4:53 AM Reply   
andrew, problem with the roam is that its great for sliders, but surely if trying raleys on cable is u need a stiffer board so you can load up the line and cable without any give (might be proven wrong, but i'd imagin if only learnin the trix it'd not be that great). Plus the roam has no fins which you rely on when learning surface air tricks.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
Minn, I believe the 134 will be a better all around board for you. Do you intend to be throwing air tricks (i.e. inverts off the water)? If so then the smaller board will allow you to sink in and edge harder. Also do you know what speed your cable is running? If it's 29kph or less then maybe the 140 is a good choice. If it's 31kph or higher then I'd say definitely the 134. At 30kph then maybe toss a coin.

I really don't think that it makes a lot of difference if you are not going to be throwing (or wanting to learn) air tricks. If I can ride a 128 at 155lbs on a 32kph cable then I don't think you should have any problem on the 134. The smaller board is more fun for sliding/spinning, but the bigger board is a little more stable on landing inverts off the ramps. I think the main decision is based on air tricks and cable speed.

Like Harry said... the Roam is not well suited for air tricks. However I did borrow one for a ride one day and was able to throw air rolls, but it was a slippery bugger.
Old    andystrawn            06-09-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
some of the riders at TSR like the old diamond tip Nelson double up, it has really sharp edges.
Old    plarad            06-12-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
John.. now I'm learning to do some air tricks.. poor landing though. Well, really dunno what speed the cable is running? I'd check it out next time go riding.. Thanx all
Old    wakelover19            06-13-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Personally I would run something with deeper molded fin. I know Odub doesn't want you to have fins bolted to your board. People will sometimes tear up the sliders with those. I would think something like a Hyperlite state or the Era. Both are 3 stage but are really mellow.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-13-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
The only rules regarding fins at ODub are that they must NOT be metal and they must be 1" or less.
Old    wakelover19            06-13-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
My point is that rules out half the new boards these days. Most have aluminum fins on them if they are not molded in. Except for Liquid force. And the disadvantage is alot of the cheaper plastic and fiberglass fins will break on the sliders over time. That was my experience. Like I said alot of the newer boards have molded fins that make the board just as stable as a board with bigger fins.
Old    skippy            06-16-2005, 4:25 AM Reply   
The motive is a brilliant board. I used to have the 128 for the cable. i'm 5.9" and 163lbs. I don't think I've ever liked a board bigger than 136 for the cable.

if you get a chance to try the 134 and the 140 they WILL feel like completly different boards. You'll end up loving the 134

good luck
Old    plarad            06-17-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
I did demo 2 boards at the cable park last week, 1 is 142, the other is smaller but dunno what size it is.. took all fins off both.. Seems like all u guys said in here are true.. smaller one fits to cable riding than the bigger.. I guess I have got 1 in mind.. Thanks u all.