Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (scottbaker44)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-31-2016, 6:09 AM Reply   
Hey all, I'm having an issue with one of my surf gate paddles (and yes I did post this on the axis forum but I figured some of the Malibu guys might have some ideas). I have a 2015 T23. The left/port side paddle is stuck out and won't retract. I've had this issue before and it was fixed by unplugging the electric connections mounted in the left/middle backside of the engine compartment where the surf gate fuse box is located. The not-ideal design lets water easily get in there and can short out connections which is what I think happened the first time. So I unplugged it/dried it out and recalibrated from the dash and it retracted and acted normal.

It will beep at me and the alarm says "Surf Gate Malfunction Retracting Left" or something along those lines. I tried all the aforementioned and nothing worked. One other thing I noticed was on the hydraulic piston itself. Right where the metal piston rod extends from the black piston body, there was a small ring piece that had been pushed off somehow. I think it might be a wiper/seal of some sort. I just slid it back on and made sure it was flush with the piston body. This ALSO happened last time I had surf gate issues. I'm sure they're all related some how but I don't know how. Any thoughts on how to get it to retract? Last time I had to put her back in storage with the paddle out and I took a crew out with it stuck out the next time hoping I would fix it, and it did retract successfully after doing the steps above. But that could have also been due to water vapor drying over a week. It was JUST in the shop so I don't want to have to take it in again. Any input is helpful.

Thanks
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-31-2016, 7:16 AM Reply   
This happened to me once on my malibu. There is a fuse for the surfgate system on that boat under the back seat near the tranny (this is the power source for the box I think you are referencing). I think it's a 30A fuse. Anyhow, the fuse appeared to be good, but some water may have dripped on it or something and caused a bit of corrosion on the fuse blade. When I replaced it with a new 30A fuse (these are just basic car ATG fuses) everything went back to working normally.
Old     (scottbaker44)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-31-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
This would actually make a lot of sense if it were the case. I'll pick up some fuses and swap em out. Thanks!
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       04-01-2016, 8:26 AM Reply   
Dielectric grease....
Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-01-2016, 8:49 PM Reply   
X2 on the dielectric grease!