Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
filmed it for you guys who couldnt make it

sorry for missing part of bobs trick
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-08-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
Thanks JB!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-08-2012, 9:13 PM Reply   
Holy crap some of those are just stupid! Amazing.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-08-2012, 10:29 PM Reply   
ReDick! Dowdys double grab 7 was sick.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-08-2012, 10:38 PM Reply   
Ya loved Dowdy's submissions
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-08-2012, 11:08 PM Reply   
rustys double rewind for me..... or derek cook rewind or mike dowdy double grab 7...... thankyou for attempting to save wakeboarding.

love jeff mckee but that rail dance donkey dick rail to backflip was the worst thing on there.... same w the cable shstuff(kids rewinds were cool....until the boat ones played).....

the magazine shots of rusty's rewind... by far the biggest best trick of the year.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2012, 11:54 PM Reply   
Rathys O7 for me, style, tech and power
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-09-2012, 9:25 AM Reply   
Its nice to see that there is still so much new stuff possible in this sport. My vote is for Rathy's Omosis 7, Harley's Crow 9 or either of Dowdy's submissions. Good $#!T.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-09-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
Great set of tricks. Very refreshing to see the creativity of these riders getting the spotlight!
Old     (Joehekler)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-09-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
Strange that no one told the broad standing in the middle of the screen to sit down....
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-09-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Dat KGB 7..
Old    BenjTrogdon            09-09-2012, 3:55 PM Reply   
Jeff House's Back Lip was the most impressive
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-10-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
I don't think Rathy's Osmosis 7 should get any consideration because he did exactly the same trick with exactly the same grab for trick of the year a few years ago. 2010 maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joehekler View Post
Strange that no one told the broad standing in the middle of the screen to sit down....
She was a Rockstar promo girl. They stayed on stage for the entire show.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Rathy's Os 7 is so damn cool.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-10-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Rathy's Osmosis 7 was unreal! HebrewHammer, I dont think that is the same trick. The one a few years ago I think he passed the 2nd handle pass. This one he lands HS wrapped, so he does a 720 without passing the handle. Crazy-and so stylish.

I loved a bunch of those. Dowdy and Twelker's 7s were sick too, and the KGB 7/Crow 9 are crazy. I wish the Crow 9 landing woulda been a little cleaner since it won, but it was grabbed so that's cool. Grant's rewind spins are nuts. Not sure why Rusty's nominee was in there because I think Bob did that same trick w2w (into the flats) a few years ago. Same with the Stalefish Pete. Its cool and stylish but nothing new and nowhere near the others. McKees rollercoaster rail was straight clownery.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I don't think Rathy's Osmosis 7 should get any consideration because he did exactly the same trick with exactly the same grab for trick of the year a few years ago. 2010 maybe?
Yep, 2010:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/782183...year_nominees/

The only difference is this year he landed it wrapped instead of passing the handle for the second 3.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfadam View Post
...This one he lands HS wrapped, so he does a 720 without passing the handle. Crazy-and so stylish.
technically he does pass the handle, he just does it with the same hand.

a no-pass spin would have be either ole or wrapped.
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-10-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
I don't think this particular trick should have won, but Colin Harrington's Tantrum to back lip is crazy, probably one of the more underrated tricks in that video
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by csswake3 View Post
I don't think this particular trick should have won, but Colin Harrington's Tantrum to back lip is crazy, probably one of the more underrated tricks in that video
totally agree. for me that was a definite contender. insane!
Old    sperbet            09-10-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
so what won?
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-10-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Dang no comments on Daniel Grants 5 to rewind? You know how much upper body strength (not to mention the late grab he stuck before the rewind) it takes to do that? I don't because I cant do it haha but I can imagine. The guy deserves some more cred for sure!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Stack....where have you been?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Scott the Crow 9 won.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-10-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Dirty Mike dowdy and Josh Twelker are on some next level $%!&
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-10-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
I'd have to say J.B. that with some better video, your transfer at BSR could have easily been among this group.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-10-2012, 12:14 PM Reply   
Nice to see two Delta boys getting in there.
I think Parks should get a MOTY lifetime achievement award if moves he did ten years ago are still getting nominated. Anyone want to throw a double whirly as a "new" trick.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
Stuart. The double half cab was wake to wake......no double up. That's what made it a big deal. It's the first one.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-10-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
Just from reading this thread is why there should be a wake then cable/winch/features MOTY categories. Even last year people were complaining that the transfer pool shouldn't have won because it wasn't 'pure' wakeboarding. There's so much diversity in the nominations it's difficult to start comparing .. how can you compare the huge land gap bs 180 to an os7?

It would be pretty cool to see another category in the future.. just look at the rail stuff in the Raph video. Insane... but in a diff way from boat riding
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-10-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
J-Rod. I get that but the double up Parks hit 10 years ago probably wasn't much bigger than a modern sacked out wake
I guess i just want to see super new out of the box stuff for the level that wake is at right now.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-10-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
Thank you!
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-10-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
Awesome stuff! I agree that there should be cable and behind boat categories. That osmosis 7 is incredible
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-11-2012, 4:28 AM Reply   
Indy Tantrum to Backlip was definitely sick! When I first saw it, I didn't realize it was a tow-able rail.

Aaron Rathy's OS7 has kinda been done, but he holds the grab for quite a while on this one! At least for 360 degrees of the trick! Pretty cool.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-11-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
1. Rathy's osmosis was absolutely unreal. Good to see him killing it again.
2. Colin Harrington's indy tantrum to back lip on a TOWED slider blew my mind. Unreal.
3. Jeff McKee's tantrum out from the slider was unreal. I love the creativity.

That's my top 3, in that order.

As a little aside, Rathy still holds the crown as far as I am concerned with the sickest trick in the history of the sport with his 3-variant 1080 from a few years ago (wrapped, ole, handlepass) so I like seeing him nominated. Now in 2012 with this competition, the difficulty of how Rathy caught that handle and then spun into the rope, in the wrong direction (hard side, blind side) can't be denied. That's just f**king awesome.

Some unpopular opinions (please note that I mean no insult or disrespect, and no I can't ride at the level shown in any of those videos except for one):
- The prewound kicker and cable tricks are immediately out of the running in my mind for this kind of official recognition. Air double backroll for example is cool but doesn't fit right into this as far as I am concerned.
- Some of those grabs are not grabs, even in slow motion. Suprised to see that more than once in here.
- I would like to see rewinds more than 180 degrees. If we're judging rewinds to be a big step in the sport. Otherwise a few are blind landings. That being said, we're really headed in the right direction with rewinds. I love it. I want to see more, behind the boat.

Strong nominations this year, shown in the video. Awesome riding from everyone, cable, boat, all of it.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-11-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
Jernberg:

Regarding your #3, are you serious? I mean, that thing is a kicker backflip. Yes - an indy kicker backflip.

When I first saw the video I thought it was hilarious that someone would submit that for TOTY just to mess with McKee. I mean, it is what it is... an indy kicker backflip. Who cares if he had to ride a roller coaster to get to the end?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-11-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzuck View Post
Jernberg:

Regarding your #3, are you serious? I mean, that thing is a kicker backflip. Yes - an indy kicker backflip.

When I first saw the video I thought it was hilarious that someone would submit that for TOTY just to mess with McKee. I mean, it is what it is... an indy kicker backflip. Who cares if he had to ride a roller coaster to get to the end?
Yeah I am serious. I posted my thing before reading the thread entirely and I've now read it all. I have always been really intrigued at invert+rail stuff. Spins onto rails too. Towed rails, in particular, I think is extremely interesting (hence my #2 nomination). I realize it isn't a popular opinion in this thread, but I think it's cool and I like McKee's riding. That's not a kicker he posted the tantrum off of, it is more of a kink in the rail (with a low, narrow mildly kicker-ish shape), but I see what you're saying. I still like it.

Follow up: Derek Cook's wrapped 360 rewind is also completely awesome.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 09-11-2012 at 7:42 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-11-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
It's okay. We can all have different tastes in what we like.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-11-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
The style on Rathy's osmosis 7 is through the roof!
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-11-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
I'm not really much of a cable/obstacles guy--I'm more of a boat/wake guy myself, but I'm surprised no one is talking about Tom Foshee's grabbed slim chance 7. Is it because he pre-spun? I can't tell because they only show it at full speed, but I think that trick looks pretty cool.

Otherwise all the other tricks I really like have all been called out in this thread: crow 9, kgb 7, DG's big rewind, Dowdy's double grabbed 7, and Rathy's Os 7.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-11-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
I really like the way mike dowdy spun that double grab 7. He made it look really unique. Rathy's osmosis was pretty incredible looking too...really smooth looking all around.

One thing I was told about the move of the year reels (a few years back) is it's a way to recognize the rad stuff that went down in the past year. So some of it might not seem like move of the year material, but it's still worth recognizing and celebrating. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-11-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
Wish Raph's wall ride to indy tantrum was entered in time haha Rathy's Osmosis 7 was just crazy. Perfect timing on that sucker!
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2012, 4:00 AM Reply   
wall-ride to tantrum was incredible!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-12-2012, 3:07 PM Reply   
Chris Williams has been hitting wrapped nosegrab 3's to rewind back 180's for years and his is WAY better than rusty's
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-12-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
Yeah but can they tumbleturn or bodyslide?

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2012, 7:33 PM Reply   
All I can say is wow. Thanks for posting.

Its awesome to see some of those guy not pulling the tour stops and names from back in the day still ruling the game and throwing down new stuff.

HArrington Mckee and House come to mind
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-12-2012, 9:57 PM Reply   
how has no one mentioned fooshees front mobe 7?!?!? i have respect for all these tricks done and there is no way that i could pick a winner on my own.. let alone from everyones opinions on here.. but your body is sooo twisted on front mobes and regardless of cable or boat.. to take a front mobe to 7 and to stomp it that clean gets MAD props from me.. thank you mr fooshee for blowing my mind and representing the home state that i know and love!
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-13-2012, 1:21 AM Reply   
Awesome!!!! Thanks for posting J.B.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2013, 6:43 PM Reply   
So its winter and I have a blown knee. Im bored so Im rewatching all of my favorite wakeboard videos.

Just got wondering-why did they stop releasing these videos? I can only find the 2010 MOTY nominees on youtube/vimeo/transworld's website. Can't find 2011 or 2012, and the wakeskate ones are hard to find too (outside of this post from a camcorder in the audience). I'm not aware of any new videos coming out with these tricks (where they wouldn't want to let them out of the bag). Anyone know what the deal is? These are always my favorite videos of the year