Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    kfalcon            07-22-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
My wife and I have a disagreement, she says that a Big V-drive boat with a Black Scorpion will burn 10 or so per hour no matter what. She is trying to find reasons to not get a big V-drive over a Bayliner... Uh, yeah.

If you were to go out for a day of family fun and you were to pull the kids around on the tube and do some wakeboarding with no ballast (wife, mom etc.) what do you guys think the gallons per hour fuel burn would be?

I have done a search and found that most people say they burn an average of 5-9 gallons per hour weighted, I didn't find anything for the unweighted. Will it change that much?

How is the Black Scorpion (330hp) on fuel burn compared to the 315 hp MPI?

Thanks for the help.

Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-23-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
I'm averaging about 5-GPH with my Sanger V215 w/Black Scorpion. I'm also running at altitude of about 5,000 - 6,000 ft (Big Bear Lake, CA). If you're just cocktail cruising at 5 - 7 MPH It's probably about 2-3GPH. No way 10GPH. Have your wife drug tested.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-23-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
Not sure about that fuel burning stuff, but think of this...
The prop on a Bayliner is right at the back of the boat and easily kicked by the kids. The direct drives and V-drives have the prop a few feet foward of the swim platfom which makes it next to impossible to kick unless you were to swim under the boat.

Make sure you get the marriage saver also known as Perfect Pass.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-23-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
Sell the safety factor, great approach for convincing the wife. As for black scorp or 315 MPI, go for the scorpion, the fuel burn won't be that much of a diffrence. I had the 5.7 BS in my last boat, and it was awesome compaired to the 6.2 MPI in my current ride.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-23-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
I used to have a 20.5 ft I/O 4.3L Merc, I now have a 21.5 ft v-drive with a 315 HP Merc inboard. The fuel consumption on the inboard is much higher. We have an annual family reunion, in which we do a lot of boating. Early in the morning it’s all wakeboarding, skiing and knee boarding, in the afternoon when the lake is crazy-busy with other boaters all we do is tube without ballast. With the old boat I would run through a 40 gallon tank every two days. In the new boat I ran through a 36 gallon tank every day. That’s not gallons per hour but I think it tells the fuel consumption story pretty well.

My old I/O with 185 HP had a top speed of about 45 MPH, the inboard has 315 HP and a top speed of about 44 MPH. What’s the difference? It’s taking more power to push the inboard, and I’m sure that’s mainly due to hull shape. More power and the same speed means more fuel for the same speed. The benefit is wake size and shape, IMO the inboard wake is considerably better.

Is it worth it? Well not for tubing, but if you really want to push the wakeboarding envelop then it is. On the other hand if wakeboarding is a casual interest then maybe a lower cost I/O with lower fuel cost might be the way to go.

I’ll second the marriage saving Perfect Pass, I’ll never own another boat without it (only for serious wakeboarding and other water sports not needed for tubing and casual use).

The fuel consumption difference between the 315 and the 330 should be nil on the same boat. The 330 will use more fuel when you ask more from it, but otherwise like I said before that will be not be noticeable.