Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
Just whacked my prop at idle speed on our way our for a session (bummer) so i now need to replace it and I don't understand the numbering system. the current prop is an OJ 13 14. what difference would a 13 13 make. and how do I know it it is LH or RH. I know i should know this stuff but still in the process of learning Inboard ownership vs. my old world owning an I/O

Prop will go on a 98 DD Sky Supreme running 1,200 or so pounds (315hp EFI)

Oh yeah, and yes i do plan to buy a new one and get the current one repaired for a backup =)
Old    zboomer            07-13-2005, 6:07 AM Reply   
The first number is the prop's diameter, the 2nd it's pitch.

The pitch is how far the prop theoretically travels in one revolution.

A lower number "gears" your boat lower. More acceleration and towing power, at the expense of top-end speed.

Look at the prop from the rear. If it has to spin counterclockwise to move forward, it's LH. Most boats aside from Nautique's are LH props.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-13-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
Boomer got all the basics for you. If you are interested in the May or July Wakeboarding Mag in the Higher Learning section there is a whole article on props and changing for wieghting. Very educational.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
Hey GP... I just ordered a new ACME 3 blade... 13x10.5 their lowest pitch prop... i am running 3500lbs of weight though...

first number is diameter... and the second number is....

imagine the prop in bowl of jello... you rotate the prop once... it will cut through the jello and move forward 10.5 inches.... thus allowing more revolutions in a shorter distance... thus increasing hole shot because of increased rpms... and reducing your top end speed...

my stock prop is the acme 4 blade 13 x 12.5... not having any problems... but wanted to get the BEST performance for wakeboarding purposes.

my boat is a 2004 sky supreme v-drive.

go to www.acmemarine.com

click on propellors then ski boats.. then application... you will find your boat on the list... it will list stock 3 and 4 blad props...

then call bill weeks at acme marine.. and he will recommend a prop!
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I went to bed confused and wake up and my questions are sitting waiting for me and my morning coffee. gotta love board.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-13-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
I had an OJ 13x14 4 blade prop on a 2001 Malibu direct drive--changed to an Ambush 13x13 4 blade and loved the difference. You dont notice the reduced top end speed--I don't drive much over 30 mph anyways--but you will plane out much quicker. I did run a lot of weight in my boat and was quite happy with the new prop.
Old    zboomer            07-13-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
13x10.5? Damn... I am assuming you have no gear reduction in the tranny? Still, that's a LOW gear.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-13-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
With the 10.5 pitch do you notice that you are at very high RPM when at boarding speeds?
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
I picked up an ACME 13 12.5 4 blade today... anything i should know about top speed as far as no full throttle or anything?

oh yeah, and i picked up the paded bag with the tools so when my old one is rebuilt i will have a spare.
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-14-2005, 2:31 AM Reply   
I have a ACME 4 Blade 13.5 x 17.5 x 1 1/8 Dia. For Sale. It's Brand New. I won it at a tournament but I have a Nautique which is LH rotation. This prop is for a RH (Wakesetter, Mobious V, etc.) Don't know if it fits the Sky Supreme. You could call ACME and here is the Stock #381.
Old    ag4ever            07-14-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
Reid, you might want to check, but Nautiques are all RH, and the others are LH.

At least my '02 is RH.
Old    ag4ever            07-14-2005, 7:42 AM Reply   
Reid,
I just checked my spreadsheet of Nautique props, and the model that would fit your boat with that pitch is 380 (RH rotation), the 381 should be the LH rotation.
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-17-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Hey Robert,

Thanks for the correction. You're right, Nautiques are RH. Sorry for the confusion. The prop is still for sale $200.00