Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-01-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
Big Heavy made a very good point in another post. I to kinda think boards loose their pop over time. I would like to know how long you think a board will keep its pop?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-01-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
My board rides the same as when I bought it. 5 years and still having fun and still learning new stuff.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-01-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Derby, I bet if you put it up to a new board you would find that its not as stiff. I have one of my friends first HL Harfs boards and it was ridden for at least 3 to 4 years and its like a wet noodle. It flexes bad I bet you would loose haft the pop or more from it.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-01-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
That is certainly possible, hence my curiosity on new equipment.

Damn I've already spent 2g's since lurking on this site the past month. Now your saying I got to drop another 600.

We'll see. Maybe we could pose this question to the Myth Busters. Sorry its on the tube right now.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-01-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
I think the core material, amount of fibreglass, board profile, and use will all affect the rebound ability of a board.

At the same time I think hockey sticks, I've had some wood/fibre glass as well as aluminum shafts and even after lots of use they still retain their original stiffness and rebound to a point where I don't notice a decreasing trend. My point is that I honestly don't know how drastic of impact there is on a board.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-01-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
Jeffrey,

I have to disagree with you about hockey sticks. I have played for 17 of my 21 years on the ice and the new carbon sticks turn into wet noodles after about a month of vigorous useage. I do think the wood ones do retain their stiffness and rebound better, but still get worn out. Usually the wood sticks break before that ever happens.

Back to the original question, I also think boards to break down over useage. But it takes at least a full riding year, so 4 seasons here in MN. Also, I have a balsa core and that thing it the snappiest board I have ever ridden, piggybacking on my analysis of the wood hockey sticks.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
Squid,
How would any of your boards lose pop, you only ride them for a couple weeks before you move on.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
I have 2 platinum absolutes. One brand new and one ridden hard for 2 years. I placed them upside down on the floor and attempted to compare stiffness. They seemed the same.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-01-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
Good point with the wood. If the shell of your balsa core board was ever comprimised I could see the board turning to garage wall decoration quik. Also, if carbon fiber ever gets a knick or scratch its toast quick.

So aside from deformities would a wakeboard lose its functional charcteristics.

Sorry about the spelling I'm an engineer not a english major.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-01-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
Mark I started playing hockey at the same age as you, no point throwing around numbers of how long you played to me. I however haven't used the carbon sticks, I'm happy with the Bauer aluminum I picked up. My point is that I've had sticks for over a season, and considering the repetitive impacts they take the wood/fibreglass and aluminum sticks have a great rebound retention.

Again in saying all that, it's simply to relate a similar idea where an item is undergoing serious flex and strain and composed of somewhat similar materials all be it in a very different fashion.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
It depends on how you ride it, how many days you ride a year, sliders or no sliders, my son goes through 2 or 3 boards a year.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-01-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
Jim, ya thats why I change them so much they keep loosing pop. BTW you need to try the PS3 oh she is fast and has pop. I am proud to say I rode at 70 to 75 all day with no problem so she is the one.

J-rod I think that the platinum keeps its pop due to the material used in it. but reg foam core boards tend to loose there pop. BTW when can you ride again?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-01-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
I fly above the tower more times then not landing in the flats. My board works the same. I'm not a little guy either, 6'2" 220lbs.

Maybe its the new lighter materials. Kind of reminds me of the mid 90's and Mtn biking. Every one was drilling holes in everthing to make it lighter. It may have worked. I dont think so. It only meant more money repalcing parts not more time shaved of the run.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
"so she is the one"

Yeah right. You'll switch boards again in two weeks.

It will probably be a month until I can ride unless I keep it real mild.
Old    chad_s            02-01-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
yes boards lose pop and flex no matter what board, or brand. that is why companies continue to develop new cores. Pro riders are always testing new materials in search of the perfect long lasting core. It also depends on the amount of riding on a board and the amount of abuse that rider puts on the board. The cores are 100 times better today than 1-2 years ago due to the R&D the companys and riders put in
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-01-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
In a response to my own post:

Then again if I have gradually lost performance over the last years maybe I wouldnt even know. Anybody got an 01 Byely in the rapper? For testing purposes only of course.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-01-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Nope Nope J-rod. I promise ya I am going to stay on it. Like Joe said and pretty much all my friends that if I would stay on one board I would start to progress. Well I am happy with it so time should be the test. Gonna try to stay on it for a full season.

Get better soon it always fun to ride with you and see you land new tricks.

(Come on just try one more)

(Message edited by twakess on February 01, 2006)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-01-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
Oh yeah they loose their "pop" with all the flexing they loose some of their stiffness. Simply try a new and used model of the same board. It all depends on the rider as to how long it takes, weight, ability, sliders, style, etc, etc. Its only foam.
but saying that the new cores that are being brought out kick ass though and last much longer. And next year is going to be even better.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-02-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
I agree with Mr. Scagliotti, it depends on who is riding the board. Me I could ride a board for 5 years and it would be the same. Then again I know a rider that goes through at least 4 boards in a season, but he goes bigger than most wakeboarders and hits alot of sliders.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-02-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
when I used to ride for previous sponsors, they had great shapes but if I was riding hard it would take me about 6-8 sessions to kill the core of an average board. Which doesn't make the board unrideable but it decreases the pop and makes the landings way harder. Most people are so used to riding there board, and their sessions are so spread out that they don't notice the board breaking down.
Once I got on my hyperlight 3DS DNA(wood core) it was night and day. I only had two boards for all last season, where I was accustomed to going through about 8 per season. I'm a big guy 185-195lbs, and definately put my boards to the test.
mike schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-02-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Jeff and mark... how do you guys keep your sticks so long... my wood sticks always had a blade snap within a month and all of the carbon sticks ive used always snap just above the blade on me within 2months or so...

as for th e wakeboards im sure it happens but i dont know how much the average rider would notice it...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-02-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Mike, I agree and you are right on point, The average rider won't feel the change when a board starts to break down, but it's how you ride them that can make a difference, Alex rode the 3DS last year & broke one on a slider, one on a double up and his 3rd one just broke down & lost it's pop by the end of the year, but that's riding 5 plus days a week at least 3 sets a day. When he was younger a board would last 2 years easy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-03-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
6' 160lbs and I've never "worn" out a board.... Maybe I just don't pay enough attention. I'd say the most "used" board I've ever had was a '02 Premier that I slid and rode all year. By the end the binding inserts were pulling out and the edges of the board had been re-glasses about 10 times. I still never noticed much difference.

Squid.... You'll never wear out a board riding it for 3 sets.

BTW.... Looks like the boat shows aren't that entertaining with Mike and Chad posting here. Heh, heh.
Old    time4wake            02-03-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Blair, Jeff and Mark...

Kinda hijacking this thread with the Hockey theme but hey- It is our national passion...

I use a composite stick and its got maybe 35 games on it and I've just noticed within the last 2 games that its not the same stick... Time to go pick up another (nothing is structurally wrong with the stick- just paint chips and scratches) I even drove to the rink with it on the roof of the car by accident last nite... It was still there when I got to the rink...

It's gotta be the same with wakeboards OVER TIME though which drastically differs in the WB world.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       02-03-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Your board isn't losing it's pop...your older body is! HA!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-03-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
The Schwan has spoken. Even my svelte frame of 145 pounds goes through boards. It happens. Enough D-ups and flats landings and she is done.