Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-09-2003, 7:16 PM Reply   
A friends is purchasing a boat this Spring and I wanted everyone's opinion on used rigs. Cash transaction so what would you buy? Age vs. hours? V drive, D drive?
Old    dragon88            02-09-2003, 7:33 PM Reply   
I would probably recomend a '95 Super Sport Nautique, they are the same hull (or so i have herd) it was also Nautiqes 2nd model of V-drives so they got the bugs worked out. PCM engines are really good, they last a really long time I dont know if id buy one whith over 800 hrs. Its pretty usual to have a minor problem around the 1000th hour. so my final bref recomidation would be

what would I buy: 1995 Super Sport Nautique (you should be able to find one for under 25k whith a tower exc exc...)

age vs hours: its 8 yrs old so i would probably say no more that 800 hours, also check to make shure that maintince has been done on it regularly. if it hasnt been properly maintained that i would say no more that 500 hrs, if even that many.

v-drive vs d-drive: the V-drive Super Sport will throw the same wake as a 2003 210 Air Nautique (any SAN for that matter due to the boats haveing the same hulls) the D-drive will throw a sweet wake you just need to weight it differently.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-09-2003, 8:25 PM Reply   
As Dragon said the Super Sport hull is great, although they did change them in I believe '98 to the TSC hull. Of course a regular Sport throws a great wake too. The Supra Launch aka Sunsport also throws a great wake for a heck of a lot less money. If it were me I would be looking for a family boat that does not have the tower and stuff on it yet as it will tend to have less hours, and probably never have had added weight in it. Towers and ballast systems can be added, which also leads to getting exactly what he wants. Many like the Sanger wakes as well. I would say your buddy needs to do alot of homework and decided whether he can afford a V-drive, and does he need the added interior room of one. There is a '95 Super Sport with tower and all advertised in the older boat section on WW for $25K with only 450 hours, take a look. Let the shopping begin....

(Message edited by peter_c on February 09, 2003)
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
I agree with Dragon88. A Super Sport can't be beat, as long as you have a very good idea what you're getting into and/or you are mechanically inclined. You may end up needing to add a tower and ballast system. A newer Super Sport might be out of your friend's range.

I am predjudiced towards late model vehicles. You may like to know there is a new boat in your range: the 2003 Moomba Outback.

You could get this boat brand new with a tower in your range. You could easily add an auto water ballast in the trunk and lead up front. I hear the wake is very nicely shaped when weighted down.

Just a thought...
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-10-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
Anybody else have any suggestions?
Old    norcal_99            02-10-2003, 10:46 AM Reply   
Look at the Sanger V210. They have a nice wake.
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
I would go for a Moomba either a new Outback, or a used Mobius. I have an Outback and am really happy w/ it. For the 25 you could probably get a new one w/ tower, stereo, cover, top, trailer, etc, plus you get a warranty
Old     (jds1)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
Believe it or not, I have the 95 Super Sport with a TWA Tower that you are looking for! I am in No. CA. Call me to discuss. (916)725-5618 or 916-217-2145 or via e-mail at mjs1@surewest.net Here are a few pictures. (I just bought a 2003 Air 210 Team Edition)

David Smith

Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-10-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
David, where are those pics from, is it Shasta? Never been there yet but we plan on making a trip this summer
Old    mhunt            02-10-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
You can't go wrong with a used mastercaft or nautique. Like others have said I'd go with an older super sport if you can find one. I have a 93 sport nautique, the only reason I'd ever get rid of it is for a super sport, (or if I won the lottery).
Old     (jds1)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2003, 7:09 PM Reply   
Chad,

Nope, its Boullard's Bar in No. CA.

David Smith
Old    pimpdaddygrady            02-10-2003, 7:16 PM Reply   
im w/ bout everyone else on this one...older ski and sport nauti..cannot go wrong
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-10-2003, 7:33 PM Reply   
very nice that's even closer to us. I have seen it in magazines and it looked like they colored the water a bit, but i guess i was wrong. Maybe we will make a trip up there instead it is only about an hour and 45 minutes
Old    skippyh2o            03-06-2003, 7:46 PM Reply   
Hey Steven.. Where are you located? (just breaking the ice for the sales pitch)
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-07-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
Get a loaded outback. Then you get warranty and dealer service. We have had an outback for 3 years and have never had a problem. Also, if you plan on upgrading in a few years you won't loose as much value. 7-10K instead of 15K.
Old    r_brown            03-07-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
SANGER V210 !!!!

RYAN
Old    xtremrider            03-07-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
I have a Sanger DLX 1998 baught new in 99. Its got the sturdiest rack i have ever seen. it is a 1 peice solid stainless steel tower. It has an adjustable wake plate so you can flatten it out to a barefoot wake or make it big for a boat with no bags. Its the for sale post if you want to see it. and i will part with it cheaper than the post says.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-07-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
You can get an older Malibu sunsetter VLX in that price range. I paid 24k for my 98 a few years ago(no tower or ballast).It has been a great boat. Throws a hella wake with 2000# in it. Same hull as the 03 Wakesetter VLX from 96 to 2000.

Greg
Old    brett_watson            03-07-2003, 2:10 PM Reply   
Why buy used when you can buy new. You can gt into a new Moomba for that price. Give me a shout if you want some more info.

Brett Watson
Club Royale Marina
(248) 681-9100 or ClubRoyale@ClubRoyale.net
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-07-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2003, 12:53 AM Reply   
i was just talking to our neighbor at western california yacht sales. He gets all the repos so you deal with the bank. He said that they just sold a 98 sanger v210 with proflight tower for 21,500 I thought that was pretty good.