Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (mtbtll18)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
I am abot ready to purchase an '07 centurion air warrior elite v. I just need some quick info in regards to this boat to figure out what others are thinking. This is my first boat, and i want it to be a wakeboarding boat, but im not looking for something insane. i more beginner to intermediate. So someone of my caliber, would this boat work well.
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-20-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
yes.
Old     (famlyboader)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-20-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
hey travis im in the same boat me and my buddies are intermediat we are getting a avalanch geat boats wake is unreal!! We went for a test ride and you can make the wake what ever you want - great choice!!
Old     (mtbtll18)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
How long have you owned the boat and also have you had any problems. are you saying the elite v has a great wake. and when you say intermediate, what does that mean you can do.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-20-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
The great thing about the Elite is that you can have a very mellow wake with no weight, but add about 4 peeps and a 500lb sac and the wake gets really rampy.
Old     (mtbtll18)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
also lets say i take someone who is real good out on the lake. Would this boat be a good boat even if you are good.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-20-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
Elite is a good boat, I almost bought one, it basically comes down to more weight bigger wake, then adjust weight, front & aft, to tweek the shape. Congrats.
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-20-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
Travis
I've had a couple of friends who have or have had that boat. The years varied, but what was consistent is that the wakes aren't huge or peaky. In fact they seemed hard to weight and washed out on the passenger's side no matter what you did. I've never surfed behind them so I can't comment on that. I'm not trying to knock the boat cause they're probably the most affordable V-drive right now, but if your going to drop 35-40k on a boat with a wake you won't outgrow, maybe you should reconsider.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-20-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
Just to be clear this is a Elite V C4 right?

Many people confuse the Elite V with the Elite V C4 they are not the same hull.
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-20-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
I have an Elite V C4. not a single issue. throws a great surf wake with little weight and a good wakeboard wake. I think you can't go wrong.
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Go with the Sanger v-215 awsome boat
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-20-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
KEv do they still make a regular Elite? Thought that hull went by by for 07?

Boat will be a great boat...Just opt for the triple ballast and hydraulic wakeplate(not standard manual one)......would never leave home without it on a Centurion...other than that every thing else is up too you......Riding with a couple beginners though PErfect pass would be up on the list too. Usually you can give them a great pull becaus eyou drive it 90% of the time, but when people who don't drive get behind the wheel, perfect pass will help the learning curve tremendously
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-20-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
Yeah well the famous white wake warrior... this is our 2005 Elite-V C4 and the wake always looked like this regardless of weight shifting... This isn't the only one that does this Ive seen 4 others with the same wake.But the good side was very nice
Upload
Upload

Upload
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-20-2007, 10:49 PM Reply   
Looks like way to much weight on the drivers side and the trim tab tooo far down
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-20-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
I second tyler's comment, I have ridden behind a elite that had that whitewash, it never went away. The owner told me they had tried everything and nothing short of tons o weight worked.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-20-2007, 11:53 PM Reply   
2000 Ski Centurion Elite-V. Same hull shape. We don't have that problem.....
Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2007, 1:45 AM Reply   
Too muh weight on the drivers side?!?!?!?! HA we literally tried everything and now have a VLX with a perfect weight without having to try for it. I know how to transfer weight. I loved that boat, learned my first inverts behind it as well as spin. Wouldnt trade those times for anything, but the boat had a bad wake on the port side, and the trim tab was always all the way up.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2007, 1:57 AM Reply   
Even with every passenger except the driver on the port side it would just make both sides wash... I have dozens more pics like this if anyone wants to count em out
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2007, 1:58 AM Reply   
Even with every passenger except the driver on the port side it would just make both sides wash... I have dozens more pics like this if anyone wants to count em out

Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Tyler - I have an 05 Elite V and I have found that it likes even weight in the rear locker on either side of the motor. It only takes about 200lbs on each side and the center tank full. Every picture, the boat's sun deck looks like it is tilting towards the driver side.
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-21-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Tyler, did you ever notify your dealer, or Centurion about that?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
Yeah... thats why we now own a malibu... our dealer was from the depths of hell. Neil it looks like that because I was sitting on my right leg when taking pics in the port corner seat near rthe locker, as was everyone else on that side.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-21-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Bruce, whats the line length and speed in that pic, it looks pretty slow IMHO.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-21-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
TYLER
what type of wakeplate was on that boat? I have owned 4 Centruions and have only seen a boat throw a wake like that with the plate set in the wrong position. NO MATTER WHICH HULL!.

All about getting it tweaked right. I agree though if the dealer can't help you get it dialed better move on. NO DEALER SUPPORT= NOONE WANTING THEIR PRODUCT....Why I don't own one anymore, but still have never experienced a wake like that on any Centurion when it was set up correctly ESPECIALLY A LIGHTNING C4

My guess manual wakeplate in the wrong position and your dealer not instructing you how to adjust it to where it should be for boarding, but hey that's with no info just a guess.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Im really just about done debating it because Ive been boarding for quite a little while... been on many different brand boats, and I for dang sure know how to shift weight and make the wake nice on Malibus, MCs, Tiges, Moombas, and Supras. This wake was the most difficult and never cleaned up regardless of plate position. To make it more fun I posted on here about it over a year ago got tons of responses and there were others on this site with the same wake and issue, some said it was the tracking fins?!?!?! ooook point is it's a mighty nice boat inside and out, the wake sucks on the port side as far as Im concerned(Im sure or atleast hope not all have this issue, sounds like they dont) But I had advice off WW were to position the plate and it was already there! We had the manual plate and put it all the way up. Boat had an awesome surf wake, but it wasnt enough, and when you try to spend 6k at the dealer on upgrades and never even recieve a phone call back for 3 months, it's definitely time to move on. They actually called us about a month after we sold it to make sure we were pleased with our last service, HA they tracked over in the boat scuffed the trailer awful all the way around, then deny they did it, and wont clean it.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-21-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
Travis,
I have the 01 Elite. I really like the boat. As mentioned above, you can dial in a real mellow wake by just filling the center ballast, or if you add weight the the wake easily gets to an intermediate + size. I have had good riders throw every trick they know behind the boat with no complaints.It can be a bit steep however and some people don't like that shape. The boat does not need that much weigh to sink it and likes lots of weight up front. I run about 500 lbs in the back, center ballast full and 350 up front. I added the hydraulic wake plate - all the way up for boarding - and that made a world of difference. Bigger range of adjustment over the static plate. The boat is weight sensitive so I keep a 75 lb sac for adjustments. My wake seems pretty dialed in now with the above setup. The boat drives well in rough water, has decent storage space and has been very reliable. As my first wakeboat, I have been very happy with it.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
I just want to be clear I am in no way bashing Centurion, our boat worked flawlessly the entire time we had it. Storage was awesome, rough water was nothing in it, interior was nice, looked good, always got compliments on it, just could never understand the wake thing. I also had center ballast full about 350 in each back locker, plate all up and even a couple 30lb dumb bells to D1*K with weight. I still love the looks of centurions, and think theyre great boats regardless of dealers.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       02-21-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
I have a Centurion Avalanche C4 and my wake looks the exact same. I can't seem to fix my wake regardless of the weight placement in the boat. The only way I have been able to remedy it is to turn (crap now I can't remember which way) slightly and it cleans up the wash. I have heard that this is common with these boats due to the deep hull and torque on the motor, etc...The way to fix it was to "tweak" the tracking fins a bit to counter-act the propeller spin.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-21-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
It may be my imagination but it sure seemed like the shape of my wake - at the top of the wake - was better with the stock 13X14 OJ than now with my Acme 3 blade.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-21-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
The wake will not clean up with shifting weight on the 05 and 06 C4's, the tracking fins are what cause the problem, so unless you take a 4lb sledge to the fins you will have the wash. However, I have been in an 07 Lightning C4 (same hull as the Elite V C4) and the wake was damn near perfect. The word is that the factory now has a new way to install the fins that will place them in the correct position. I kind of hate to chime in on this one but the weight excuse is getting old! Other than that the boats are killer, we love the product and couldn't be happier.
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       02-21-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
i have an 05 lightening c4 with above mentioned problems also, tried all sorts of weight adjustments , did improve somewhat but not there yet.what exactly do you need to adjust on the fins, and how do you do this (1) correctly and (2 )how many drinks first to be able to. just kidding on #2. which way etc.and any instructions would be very helpful
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-21-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
I have seen that kind of wake be from all 3 things the plate being to far down (you can really see this if you have the bennet trim tab a just play with the plate through its up and down range), weight of course can be the problem however if neither will fix it the fins are the culprit. It sounds like Tyler tried all the right things with the exception of the fin adjustment.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-21-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
FYI The Elite V/Lighning and the Elite V C4 /lightning C4 are not the same boat or hull.

I would recommend that you contact your dealer they have the instructions to adjust the fins.

They now have a jig that insures that all the boats have the fins mounted in exactly the right spot

(Message edited by krbaugh on February 21, 2007)
Old     (nyelland)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
There was a link on WW home page on ballast set up. I belive more weight in the front will clean up the wake and more weight in the back will make the wake taller. I belive it is 60% rear and 40% front. I have that exact boat, 05' Elite V C4 and the wake is ballanced. I have the wake plate all the way up (manaual wake plate). All of the new boats are excellent. I am sorry that you had a bad dealer experince and you couldn't get the weight dialed in. Do you know why people say that it may be the tracking fins?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-21-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
In 2005 Centurion Changed 2 things they changed the tracking fins to the new style this was to reduce noise. They went to a gear reduction V drive so they could swing a bigger prop. This was to help with the extra weight that people where putting in the boats.
I believe the bigger prop had more torque thus making it a bit harder to balance and the tracking fins where more sensitive to placement on the boat. Some boats where just fine some took more weight on the passenger side to balance and some like Tylers needed the fins to be adjusted. This is just my theory.
Like I said before Centurion developed a jig to make sure the fins a placed correctly on the boat

(Message edited by krbaugh on February 21, 2007)
Old     (deltamud)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-21-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Travis, I have 2002 Centurion Hurricane [Elite V]. It's not the 2007 you are considering, but for what it is worth the boat has been very reliable, cuts through chop great. I too have had the whitewash problem, but with a little weight management and adding the hydraulic wake plate the wake improves. And now for slight hijack, Kevin B., by any chance do you know if there is a "fin fix" for pre C4 Elites? If there is then it's kind of B.S. on Centurions part not to make it more publicized.
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       02-21-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
thanks for info kevin, do you know if this jigg is available at all or most centurian dealers or is it only at factory level
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-21-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
The Jig is for manufacturing so the dealers won’t have to adjust the fins.

Joe if you have your boat balanced with weight and the trim tab there Is no need for the fin adjustment. Centurions will always be a bit harder to balance because almost all the models Have way more V all the way to the back than most other brands. This gives them A fantastic ride in rough water. Centurion has notified the dealer what to do. Of course Centurion is not perfect they could have acted sooner on the problem but they do have a fix and have changed manufacturing to eliminate the problem. The one thing that is undeniable Centurion is getting better and better. The employees at every level are committed to improving there product and customer service.
Old    mendo247            02-22-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
I heard this is what they want you to strike your tracking fins with.. a couple good blows and your wake will be nice and even!!!

Upload
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
i have a 05 C4 elite V-drive Its a good bang for your buck! As mentioned above the wake is really sensitive. Soon as you dial that in your good to go....Play with the wake plate and some lead or bags and you should be good.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Please please don’t go out to you boat with a hammer because some one posted a picture on the internet. talk to your dealer!

Again if you can balance your boat with weight there is no need to adjust your fins!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Man, that wake really sucks for the Goofy-Footed riders. I would have had MAJOR issues with the manufacturer over that. I really like all the comments about how nice the boat is inside and out and everything else is perfect. I guess as long as you dont wakeboard behind it you are OK...

It's the perfect poser boat, made for people that never take their boards out of the rack, lol....
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-22-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
you're a fool... I have a good time regardless of the wake.
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Byrd-I ride goofy and at first I was extremely pist...I rode in several C4's with ballast, lead, etc and wakes were great. Picked up mine and it sucked big time!!! No joke. Spent some time dialing it in and it made a world of a difference! Don't get me wrong. Next boat is a Malibu...lol....Only thing that baffles me is its a tow/wakeboard boat so I shouldn't have to spend that much time getting a good wake! Happy with mine for now...unitl the next one...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Tyler, I really dont think name calling is in order, but I see that you are only 21, so whatever makes you feel like a man...

I was actually agreeing with you and your disappointment with the wake, I was not calling you a poser. Having a good time is what it is about, but spending $40K on a boat with a wake problem would be a major disappointment to me, and I would not accept it.
Old    Ben Kerran            02-22-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
Byrd-I understand your point, and I agree about being angry with the manufacturer if I had this issue. That aside I felt your post was condescending and it rubbed me the wrong way also. I don't consider myself a "Poser" because I enjoy my boat for a variety of reasons and did not choose my boat on wake characteristics only.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-22-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
Why would you spend that much money on a WAKEBOARD BOAT and have a crappy WAKE?
You buy a WAKEBOARD BOAT for the WAKE!!At least I do.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-22-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I bought a 05 Avalanche C4, the firt time out was disappointed in the wake with the wash out on the port side. We didn't have enough people in the boat, 2 to get the weight balance. We added about 150 pounds of lead to the port side to get it even. I don't think the Avalanche likes or needs weight up front like most boats. We changed the rear hard tanks out for 400# bags, add about 300#'s lead in the center for a total of 1300#'s nothing in front of the drivers seat. Hydraulic wake plate all the way up. Can drive anywhere from 21 mph up depending on rider preference. The wake is hard, vertical with a solid lip for lots of pop. Most riders coming from a Malibu, Supra, or Mastercraft are very surprised at the quality of the wake. Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-22-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
Quote Byrd "It's the perfect poser boat, made for people that never take their boards out of the rack, lol...."
No need for name calling huh look in the mirror big guy. The age thing is pretty old too... everything was subjective and never leaned towards bashing till you appeared. Apparently Im not the only one who thinks that so maybe you need to reevaluate what you post.

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on February 22, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-22-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Dang George that Centurion wake looks way beefier than Byrds x2
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-22-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
I do have to say George that your wake looks great!!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
George
You do have that Avvy wake dialed in it looks GREAT!
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-22-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
That's the Centurion wake I"ve grown to love NIIIICE!
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-22-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
Great looking wake!
I had heard that the Avy liked weight in the front!
I was considering adding the integrated bow sac, as I opted for the 2nd fuel tank instead of center ballast.
May have to re-think that...

I've only taken her out once, and when it was 4 people and both gas tanks full, the wake looked like it had great potential.
It did have a little wash to the port side later on, but we had no ballast, and only 3 total people in the boat. Once the engine is broken in I'll play with weight...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
Well evidently I did not phrase what I was trying to say well. So, if I hurt anyones feelings, I apologize. I can see how it was taken the wrong way. I really dont think anyone on here is a poser. If you were a poser, you would not be here posting. All I was trying to say is the dorks we all see, that sit and party and never take their board out, a boat that did not make a good wake would be the boat for them because they would not know the difference. Bad Joke...

As fas as my wake is concerned, I'd stack it up against any of the wakes I see above. And if anyone is in central Florida, hit me up for a pull to see for yourself

IMO, a Wakeboard Boat should be able to produce a suitable wake to ride right off the showroom floor. If not it is a manufacturing issue, not the customer's problem. Especially since some seem to be great and others have issues.

(Message edited by Byrd on February 22, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-22-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
^^^ Agreed 100% but when the dealer has no advice to give, nor shows any interest to really help... it was time to sell and get the VLX. its wake is very nice off the floor, but extras always better
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
You did the right thing, Tyler. It all comes down to the dealer first and then the manufacturer second. You can have the best boat ever built, but if the dealer wont support you, you might as well have a john boat with a 25 johnson on the back, lol...

BTW, Tyler, how do you have your boat set up? Stock Ballast only or more. My buddy Duffy has the same boat in red & black, and he wants to beef up the stock wake. Just wondering where to begin without wasting a lot of time.
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2007, 1:18 AM Reply   
George, you're getting a lot of whitewash about 150 ft back, better have that looked at!
Travis, the moral of the story is to test drive. If you don't like the wake, buy an Avalanche. Or something else.
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-23-2007, 4:12 AM Reply   
I have a 2003 Avy and I run the center tank and 2 400# sac in the back with the plate all the way up and the wake is nice at 22-24 mph . I tried to add weight to the front (Only 220#) but it was no good, washed out the wake.
The only bad thing I dont like about the Centurion wake is at slower speeds like 20mph and under for the kids the wake is just a bunch of white wash so its hard for the young ones to learn any wake jumping
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
I found with any boat to make it easier for the new ones you can always over weight the boarders heal side like tylers picture and that will help clear up the wash and mellow out the wake for the
newbies