Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old    abadsvt            12-01-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
I have been tossing up ideas for color schemes on a 07 MC X2. I keep coming back to an all black X2. I was wondering how hard is it to keep it looking nice? Do you have to wax it all the time? Also how hot does the fiberglass get? Is it to hot to touch? Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks Josh
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-01-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Josh,

As long as you wipe it down after each use, you will be fine. I wax mine 1-2 times a year and haven't had any problems. Go for the black!!!

Oh if you plan on beaching your boat I would suggest not to go with black. I've never beached mine but I'm sure after time it would show the scratches on the bottom.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-01-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
The hot fiberglass thing is really only a problem on the hottest of days, the 100+ days.

Yes, you have to clean it with more care, scuffs show easier, and may want to wax it a couple more times a season than normal.

On the flip side of that, you will have a beautiful boat that will always turn heads and you will never look at like you could have made a different choice.

If you pick any solid color scheme (hull and deck) for the X2, it will look great. Black with white or grey accents is my personal favorite, keep it simple and you will love it.

Check my profile pic.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-01-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
Myke is correct about the beaching thing, they also show scuffs from the trailer bunks too. I could probably buff out 5 yrs of that in a couple hours, but I will just beach it again because that's how we do.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-01-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
most dark colors are getting hot,..like blue green etc etc.it is true you have to wash and polish dark colors more than lighter colors.
It is not like light colors don,t get dirty it just doesn,t show that much.The most annoying thing with darker colors is that if you have a small scratch(like from a wakeboard arround the swimplatform area/stern)it leaves a light colored mark that you can see very good at the dark background.They can be removed with some rubbing compound and some elbow grease.
i had a black boat before and swiched to a light one,...but my new boat is black again.Cleaning with a polishing machine helps alot.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-01-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
I was in the same situation about 6 months ago and I made the decision to get an all dark colored boat (graphite) with orange accents and its one of the best decisions I made. Everyone that I have read or spoke to that has ever owned a black or dark colored boat said they never regretted it, as do I. Personally I think boats that have a colored deck, center, and hull look awesome on the water, they definitely do turn heads since they are not the typical white color. Spots do show more as well as nicks but to me the looks alone justify the extra work.
Old    abadsvt            12-01-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
I used to paint cars so i have all the tools and the ability to buff out any scratchs. Does black fade at all? How do you think it will look in 4-5 years? I don't mind wiping the boat down after each time, and i also don't mind waxing the boat a few times a season. I just want to make sure it will look new when i decide to upgrade to another boat. Do you think that an all black boat will be harder to sell down the road? One more thing. Can someone elaborate on how hot it gets to touch? Is it extremely hot to the point you can't touch it or is it just warm? I live here in Atascadero, CA and during the summer we get some pretty warm weather. I would say the low 100's is norm during the summer. Thanks everyone! Josh
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-01-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
I owned an old prostar 190 (1996) all black. I'll never own a black boat again. to much upkeep to keep looking good, and was tired of burning myself on the black during the summer. water would almost sizzle off the closed bow during the summer is was so hot.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-01-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Black is really easy to take care of if you take the time to wipe it down each time. Wax it a few times a season. If you leave your boat in the water or on a lift, it will start looking a little rough cause it is harder to keep wiped down of course. I will always buy black, but I am pretty anal and keep it wiped down with vinegar/water and keep it waxed regularly. Nothing looks better than black when it is clean and nothing looks worse when it is dirty. Up to you and your level of committment....
Good luck
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-01-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
I would get another all black boat in a second. They really aren't that much harder to take care of. Mine is a 2003, and it still looks great.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-01-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Jeff, is your black bottom showing scratches from the bunks? I had an 03 almost identical to yours except white on the top. My favorite color combo we've ever had (and we've had a few) but the bunk scratches on the black bottom drove me crazy.Upload
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-01-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
We bought the 06 X2 with the black hull, black deck, and white tail with red accents and we love it. Not hard at to keep clean as long as you stay on top of it, just as you would with any other boat. I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do all over.
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-01-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
I remember when that boat was for sale! Great colors! You know, I really haven't had much of a problem with the bunks scratching the hull. I think it has quite a bit to do with the brand of trailer, and the method of launching and recovery. With a black hull, it is important to back in as deep as possible when launching, and to get the bunks completely wet before recovery. My trailer is a Ram-Lin.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
The problem with all black on the X2 is the floor is black underneath the carpet. When you take the carpet out its gonna be too hot to walk on in the summer,who knows, you may be someone that likes the carpet always in. I wouldnt worry about fading or scratching the Gelcoat is very thick on a MC and you can wetsand it more than once to take away any fading etc. Black is definately the best looking when its clean. Oh yeah tint the winshield it really sets off the black boat!!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-01-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
Not calling anyone out, but here in Central Florida, a black boat takes a lot more care than a light color. My buddy bought a brand new Black MC this year, and because he lives on a lake and stores it in a lift, although it does stay covered, it is exposed more than the average boat and you can see a difference. Wiping donw only helps so much. It is a lot hotter than a lighter color in the summertime as well. IMO, I would never own one here in Florida because I would rather spend more time out on the lake than buffing and polishing the boat.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Byrd, plus he doesnt know what a sponge looks like either. lol
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
I traded in my white/yellow Supra for a black/blue MB. So far, so good. Yes, you do see scratches a bit more but damn! those colors look good when clean! I've only had the MB since September, and VA has had a fairly crappy fall, so I can't comment firsthand on the temp difference. I store mine indoors year-round, so I probably won't have to worry about fading...

Upload Upload

I say go for it. You are spending 60K+, you may as well like the colors.

(Message edited by dan.smith on December 01, 2006)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-01-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
Black boats rule.

Oh, and as far as upkeep, I have one word for you: Zaino

Upload
Upload
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-01-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
David - That last pic is GREAT
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Holy crap thats sweet!! I just went to their website. Which Zaino product did you use on that Malibu? Did you use it in addition to a marine wax?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-01-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
I love my black boat. Wouldn't want any other color. Maybe 25% more care needed than other/lighter colors. But worth it in my opinion if you really want black. Just have to take care of your investment.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-02-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Thanks!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/332439.html

Here's the process (repost from the thread above):
I first heard about this boutique "wax" product a few years ago for use on cars. A lot of show car enthusiasts and "car people" swear by the depth of shine and protection that Zaino offers, not to mention the long lasting results and ease of application and removal. I emailed the company about a marine application, and the owner made some suggestions, and let me know that he had great success using the product on gelcoat, and that the level of UV protection, water spot elimination, and etc, would be unparalleled. I have to say I agree.

It was a VERY time consuming and laborious process.
1. Wash boat with Dawn dishwashing soap (alkaline) to remove all wax buildup and surface contaminents.
2. Clay bar entire boat (Z-18).
3. Wash boat with Zaino Z-7 car wash and dry thoroughly before water spots form.
4. Apply Zaino Z-5 polymer for swirl marks enabled with ZFX accelerator and remove with 100% USA made cotton bath towel.
5. Apply Z-6 detail spray over entire boat and wipe/remove with 100% USA made cotton bath towel.
6. Apply Zaino Z-3 polymer enabled with ZFX accelerator and remove with 100% USA made cotton bath towel - as many coats as you want, using Z-6 between each coat.

I did a coat of Z-5 and a coat of Z-3 with Z-6 between them and at the end. I took the boat out on Saturday, and by the end of the day, the boat looked trashed. Water spots everywhere - it was 90 degrees on a black boat so the water beads dried instantly. I used a damp microfiber towel to clean up afterwards at the ramp, and it looked like I had literally just waxed the boat right there at the ramp. I did another coat of the Z-3 yesterday followed by Z-6. The boat feels like a new boat. You know, that soft, supple gelcoat feeling on the new boats at your local dealer? I have that feeling once again.

Check out the depth of the shine in the gel...

Upload
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-02-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Wow that looks awesome!!! Thats more steps than Moomba uses to build a entire boat. David, how long did all this take you?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-02-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Josh i wax my boat every 2 or 3 months and it always looks great. It does get very hot though, I can not use the boat without the carpet or my feet will die and my boat is bright blue so black should be worse, anyways i don't regret getting my boat blue on the inside one bit, i always use the carpet anyways
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-02-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
That zaino is damn impressive!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-02-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
Go with the black. In my opinion an all black boat looks 100 times cooler than an all white boat. The hull of our boat is black. Our boat sits in the water in a slip for periods at a time in the summer, and I noticed that the black was way easier to keep clean than the white gelcoat stripe, which turned brownish.

Heres after a fresh wax/polish job...
Upload
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-03-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
Roddyrod - Nice pic. Could you post another of the whole boat - I kinda like the color scheme
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-03-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
This is my second black boat. They just have a sleek look about them. As for cleaning, I haven't noticed it any harder to keep clean than my other friends who have other color boats. Scratches, however, do have a tendency to stand out a bit. Upload
Upload
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-03-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
It's definitely a lot more work to keep the all black boat clean then it was my black bottom / white deck MC. There is no more just putting the boat on the trailer without wiping it down........every single time out it gets completely wiped down or else the black looks bad.

Billy's point about the floor being hot with the carpet pulled out is pretty valid but the bimini does help some. Be VERY careful of the snaps for the carpet.......those will burn the crap out of your feet.

Great color choice by the way.....think it's familiar!

Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-03-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
I am jealous.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-03-2006, 10:43 PM Reply   
That black X2 is scchweeeet!

Dan - I used Zaino only and continue to use the Z-6 detail spray and microfiber towels to keep up the appearance.

Billy - the whole process from the start (washing with Dawn) to finish (2 coats) took about a half day. The ZFX accelerator really helps the polymer cure so you can start to buff the Zaino off as soon as you're finished applying it.

The Zaino is pricey (>$100) when compared to 3M marine wax or other run of the mill waxes, but that is a small price to pay to have a black boat, or any boat for that matter, look awesome all the time and wipe down easily at the ramp.
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-04-2006, 1:25 AM Reply   
You guys really do a great job keeping those black boat looking sharp. It just takes a little time after each trip to the lake, and a detail every couple of months, to keep them from getting any build up or water spots...
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-04-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
david, i wondered for the longest time WHY you took that 2nd pic above a what the heck it was of. then i pulled my head out and realized it was the reflection. that' incredible. i just bought a black bottom, red interior boat and need to get some of that zaino stuffs. where does a guy get it. online, parts type store. thanx ryan
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-04-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Zack, love the boat. Just one question, do you all ollie the cows before the slider?

Also, the boat matches the angus! Black, very nice!
Old    abadsvt            12-04-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Beautiful boats everyone!!!!! I will agree that black looks SWEET! I think i found the boat i am going to buy and it isn't black. I will have a black boat in a few years. They look way to sweet not to. Thanks Josh
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-04-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
www.zainobros.com

Thanks for your comments, Ryan.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-04-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
I have a partial black and had an all black boat and the key is use Turtle wax wash as it helps the water bead off, wax the boat real good once or twice a year, but a real good way to keep the water spots off is use a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar after you get home. Spray down a section and come back and wipe it off with a clean cloth and it removes the water spots and shines like new.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-04-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
David- You should submit your pictures to the zainobros website. The reflection pictures are amazing...

(Message edited by zacky on December 04, 2006)
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-04-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
I waxxed my boat 4 times this summer with an all black side
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-05-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
Chris- heres a pick of the whole boat.

Upload

There definatelay are some nice looking rides on this thread!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-05-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Sick looking color combo Roddyrod.