Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2013, 12:31 AM Reply   
We finally got to test and video the wake on the new Z1 with the PRODUCTION Convex VX. I was REALLY looking forward to this, since we love our Z3, and the Z1 is the same hull, just 2 feet shorter. It also has the same wide beam of 102", so it should make a great surf boat.

The wake was very similar to the Z3, but had some differences. The boat required less weight to make a wake which is great, it was REAL easy to get a wake with the stock setup. Then we added about 350 lbs to the surf side and it just got better. The wake was a bit shorter than the Z3 but it was very powerful, at least as powerful as the Z3. You could tell right away from looking, and RJ said he could also feel it right away that the wake had more hook than the Z3 and other boats he could remember. I don't know if there is a more technical term for "hook" but it is something you notice on various wakes, and most of the really good surf boats have noticeably more hook than other boats that don't surf so well. Hook is just a term for the way the wake wraps around the rider, getting behind the rider. Some wakes and setups do that more than others. It gives you a greater sensation of push when the wake is right behind you. You can watch RJ playing around in the video because it was very noticeable to him. The wake was a bit shorter than the Z3, which is to be expected, but we could easily be happy as a family in this boat with this wake, it was great. It will be fun to see how this boat does as it gets even more dialed in.

We took some pictures also, here are a few.

Here is a picture of the boat we took out, it was straight of the factory, completely production/stock. No prototype parts or custom ballast.

IMG_1610 by wake9, on Flickr

Here is a good pic of the stock regular side wake.

IMG_1638 by wake9, on Flickr

Here is the goofy wake, stock, no additional weight but me and a driver smaller than RJ.

IMG_1791 by wake9, on Flickr

We had an extra sac, and added weight here, about 350 lbs, that is it.

IMG_1840 by wake9, on Flickr

RJ didn't have his own board, and was riding this old, slow Ronix board, I think it was 4'4" or 4'5" long. With the extra weight the wake was bigger, still clean and had a great lip to even launch a bit with this board.

IMG_1851 by wake9, on Flickr

Here is the low side shot with the extra weight. You can see this boat has a TON of free board like the Z3, and it also only needs about 8-9 degrees of list for the best wake.

IMG_1930 by wake9, on Flickr

Here's a fun fact for all you weekend warriors out there. The Z1 doesn't have a trash can, bummer for mom, but great for Dad. You can put a custom sac on the goofy side that goes all the way up under the driver's seat if your heart so desired. No more pinched room for goofy nuts that want to sac out.

IMG_1979 by wake9, on Flickr

Lastly, the money shot. Side by side stock wakes.

z1-split-screen-side-side by wake9, on Flickr

Can't wait to see someone really dial in this boat.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-02-2013, 3:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for the write up and video Robert! Very professional.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
i have been waiting to see a review like this, thanks alot! looks great...
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       04-02-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
Great analysis and post Robert! Thank you!
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-02-2013, 11:13 AM Reply   
I wish they would let Robert do analysis of surfgate boats and nss just to get feed back between the three surf innovations.
Old     (iamcdn)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-02-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
I wish they would let Robert do analysis of surfgate boats and nss just to get feed back between the three surf innovations.
I'm thinking all it would take would be for some kind WW members with those boats to head to California for a day...would be awesome
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
Actually, malibu and NorCal mastercraft setup just that for me for a 23LSV with Surfgate. The weather blue out and then the holidays, and we were to reschedule, and then I got really busy. I will have to check on that. There is nothing funner for me and RJ then doing this with a boat. Especially when it involves a plane ride and whataburger. Mmmm, whataburger. ;-)
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-02-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
No offense to Ragboy but I don't know how many of the other manufactures would actually want him to do it. From all the stuff I've read it seems that he is somewhat tied to Tige. I do enjoy his reports but also read them with a grain of salt so to speak.

Also how come all your pics take you away from this site. Be much nicer of they linked right here. It's super slow to have to click over to flicker atleast on my phone.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
@ron We get a chance to do this with several other boats at the polar bear event, if you haven't seen that.

http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2012/recap.php

The thing is, I can't say I don't have a bias, because I am bias with all my favorite stuff. Try to talk me out of my F150 with Ecoboost, and you will see what I mean, I love that truck. We love our Z3, there is no question. But we try really hard to take lots of video, many angles and we also take the effort to tell you EXACTLY how we setup. I figure, that if people can duplicate what we do, it will show that at least our images and video is not biased, as much as we can help it. Same reason we use big guys like Dennis and Frank and different riders like Rob and Janelle to help us test, and others. The last thing I want is people to see something we do, and then say, how come I can't get that myself? I can tell you that if you use the setup we posted in this write up, you will get the same result.

Whether you think its a great wake, that is purely up to you. But I figure if I take the same pictures and video that we do with all other boats, then you have a basis to compare. Look how RJ is riding, he rides like that so that you can see the shape of the wake, the length, uses a smaller board, and he goes side to side close to the boat so you can see the transition under the nose of his board. We do this on purpose every time we do this. This is so you can see it for yourself.

So yes, guilty of bias, I really don't know how we could do this without bias. But hopefully we take enough pictures and video the same way for many boats so that it gives the reader/viewer the ability to do some research and compare. Which, BTW, should never take the place of a good demo. You should always demo before you buy and confirm.

About the pictures, the images are here on WW, that is why you see them. Click on the image and it will open up, but I can't put the hires images in here on WW, it won't work well. Those links take you to the high resolution images if you want to see them, but you can just view what is here, and ignore those links. Also, those links are required when you use flickr, its part of the agreement. With as many pictures as we take, I think you can understand why we would use a service such as flickr.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-02-2013, 3:30 PM Reply   
Ragboy I appreciate your dedication to the sport and your write ups. What I meant was that I would find it hard to believe a manufacture would bring a boat out for you to do a review of their product knowing your history with Tige. Not saying at all that your not a honest guy or anything like that. It's just business. Also just providing my thoughts to a question that was asked on this thread.

As for flicker I can understand your reasons for using but it's still a pain. If I want to click on your pic to explode it and actually see it I'm whisked off to safari to their website, kinda a pain...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
Understand on flickr. If you are in safari, right click on the image, and say, open image in new window, or new tab. That may ease your pain. ;-)

We have had that opportunity with Sanger, Supra, and Malibu, but the first 2 ended up rolling into polar bear and plan to do something this spring. Malibu got canceled due to weather, but would be fun to reschedule. I would do the same thing, take great photos and video and let them speak for themselves for the most part. The thing is, RJ and I are like kids in a candy store. I may like my Z3 the best, but any new boat will do. We both LOVE to weight and check out the wake on a new boat, there is nothing funner.

And no worries, I didn't take offense or anything.
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-06-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
Robert, about how big of a sac do you think you could fit on the goofy side under the seat? You said you only got about 350lbs in it, but what would you recommend for just an additional sac to throw in there?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-06-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
We were using a vdrive sac, and didnt' get it filled all the way, I would say, that a sac like this would be great for the Z1:

Pro X Series Tube Sac - W704

That is if you want to keep your stock system, and then just be able to supplement. I would get 2 so as to not have to move it from side to side, and fill up on the side you were surfing.

The best thing would be to get a custom sac for each side that plugs into the stock pumps, so easy to do. We are measuring out and testing sacks for the Z1 now.
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-07-2013, 11:51 AM Reply   
Sounds good, keep me posted on those custom sacks. Definitely interested!
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-29-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
awesome review on the Tige Z wave Boss!!!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-29-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
That boat looks AWESOME
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-01-2013, 5:27 AM Reply   
Tige boats also makes there own Ballast bags in house. There built with bigger fittings and lines to fill/empty faster...its always an option to contact them for a custom fit as well..
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-02-2013, 5:59 AM Reply   
Look at all the free board out of the water...some may view this as an opportunity to add more ballast. But the idea behind it is safety. Because of the amount of boat out of the water you dont' have to worry about swamping your Tige and allowing them waves to reposition your boat to pick up a fallen rider.

After a rider falls you just put the boat into natural and turn the wheel opposite side there surfing on (turn into your high side). This exposes the high side of the boat and allow the waves to push the transom around. Its easy, fast and safe for everyone.

Power turns are never good for anyone...
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-03-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
Squid,

Do you have any examples of custom ballast jobs in the tiges? how big will they go? "enzo" style?

Any further info would be great,

Thanks
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-06-2013, 9:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
Squid,

Do you have any examples of custom ballast jobs in the tiges? how big will they go? "enzo" style?

Any further info would be great,

Thanks
At this time I do not, But after finding what I like on the RZR/R20 with VX using test sacks I'll call the factory and ask for them to be built.

Note: the RZR/R20 VX with the surf system is already a great wave....But I'm Squid, and I must do what Squids do.....find that boundary between safety and performance...

If your really hot for bags email me (squids wake@gmail.com) or contact the factory direct.

See ya on the water..
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-06-2013, 10:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
At this time I do not, But after finding what I like on the RZR/R20 with VX using test sacks I'll call the factory and ask for them to be built.

Note: the RZR/R20 VX with the surf system is already a great wave....But I'm Squid, and I must do what Squids do.....find that boundary between safety and performance...

If your really hot for bags email me (squids wake@gmail.com) or contact the factory direct.

See ya on the water..
You're a wise man, and yes that is a compliment.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2013, 6:14 AM Reply   
Squid,

You must have very large testicles, i mean tentacles...

(please tell me I am the first to use that pun)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-07-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
I have heard it before, only not with the word "large".
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-07-2013, 2:35 PM Reply   
haha, Public safety announcement video...