Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
My son, Derek and I are thinking about starting a wakeboard camp in the Delta. It would consist of a Houseboat trip troughout the Delta region. We would be taking the campers to differant island campsights and riding many of the best locations. One of our sponsors would be CWB. We would be able to get many of their riders as "guest instructors". I would like your feedback. What do you think the response would be?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-18-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
TConway Give Kevin a call I Know he's interested in a similar idea. Maybe You guys can work together, especially since both are currently riding CWB.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
With your business sense, I think you could definitely make it happen. The Delta is one of the most desired locations and staying on a houseboat during camp is one of the most desired amenities. I'm certain anything you put together will be top notch.

Personally when I'm selecting a wakeboard camp, I strongly consider the accomplishments, skill level, and reputation of the instructors. I think having guest CWB instructors would be a huge attraction, especially if you can occasionally bring out guys like Andrew and Trevor.

And I know you would be a fun host, Tom.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
I think your idea is a good one. It would be a fun adventure for people. Though it does sound like more work compared to a fixed location camp. But, hey, try it for a year (Spring to Fall) and see how it goes.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
I dont think it will be that much work moving the houseboat. It will take about 1&1/2 hours to drive between locations. The riders will be out in the wakeboard boat during the move.

I could be wrong.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
Sounds like a great idea. Then main problem that Cal was faced with wakeboard camps. Was the instructors riding levels or skills. Cal has some top riders now and its good to see them wanting to teach others threw schools. Back in the old days you would haft to go to FL. Now you can stay in Cal and get top notch lessons. GO FOR IT.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-18-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Im in for sure, not only will you be able to go out and ride on the delta but you will get to see numerous riding spots on the delta. I am all about it. I dont think anyone has ever tried to do anything like this before, very unique. I am excited to see the outcome.
Old    mile_high_rider            08-18-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
sounds good, im in. seriously, im in.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-18-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Tom, that is awesome, I KNOW my kids will be spending some quality times up there with y'all.
Get that National champion out there giving lessons with guest coaches coming out, that would be sweet!

(Message edited by teamvaldez on August 18, 2005)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
What up Tom....? I'm down for sure. If nothing else there is always nice flat water in the Delta. A week on a houseboat riding every day with Kevin and Derek sounds killer. Talk Trevor into coming out for a while and it'd be the icing on the cake.

Sounds like CWB is going to have a killer local team this year, too, so I'm sure getting instructors wouldn't be a problem. That and their product is definitely top notch for '06.

When's the first week scheduled???
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 2:21 PM Reply   
I would like it to run from june thru august. Right now I am trying to get the insurance & waivers together. I am still trying to figure out which houseboat to buy. We were able to buy an island lot lease about 15 minutes from Paradise Point, so now we have a great camp sight to start from. So far, it is going pretty good.
Old    julian_1            08-18-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
there is an existing camp on the delta

www.learn2wakeboard.com

dont know anything about it though. just an fyi.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
This will be more of a Delta cruise than just a camp. The plan is to take the riders to all the "famous" spots like Victoria Station & Railroad and then to some of the "Secret Spots" that Jason Buffalow knows about(if he will share the info).
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
Great idea Tom The west coast can use a few more top notch camps.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
Sounds pretty good. Would the guests camp every night or stay on the house boat? Making a new campsite every night after wakeboarding would grow old. Also, I am sure some of the dive bars along the way would appreciate your business.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
Oh Yes...the dive bars...we wont talk about them.

The campers can either stay on the houseboat or camp. I dont want them to be board.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
bored!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Ben, can Tony come and play with us?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-18-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
I am in!!!! How cool is this: All inclusive wakeboard camp & houseboat vacation on the world famous delta. Just bring your boardshorts & gameface and let us do the rest!!!!

Really like the celebrity guest coach idea. Need to make sure to include a slider stop.

Thinking you & Derek are the right guys for this, Tom!!!!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-18-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
I think we need to have a maiden voyage to just make sure that everything is in order. After all, Tom, we need to make sure that Camp Conway is a hit!! hugs, robyn
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-19-2005, 6:45 AM Reply   
Camp Conway . . . . . . I like that, has an old school - summer camp sound to it! Good one Robyn!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
Tom, you can count me in on this adventure of yours that you have brewing. I would love to hang on the Delta, teach some of these young punks a thing or two. Old guys can ride too.

I think that the Delta has needed something like this for quite some time now. Glad to see you making it happen. Just let me know when.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-19-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
Tom I will drag Tony out there with me, he is always down to ride. Good idea, good luck.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-19-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
Need to have Damien up there to coach for a week.
Old     (justin_n)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
Tom,

This camp is going to be great. Working with CWB and having all the new product will definitely help and we should we will definitely get some guest coaches down their like Rhett Whatley, Nick Jones, Robby Carter, Daniel Walden. Good luck
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Justin. CWB is such a great company to work with.

Jeff...I would love to get Damien. We could have a great "Old Guys" camp. Stop at Lost Isle a couple times.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
I'm down with the "Old Guys" camp!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
I am also down with the old guys camp.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2005, 10:15 PM Reply   
Yeh... me tooo! An "Old Guys" camp. I will let Derek take that week off. I will be the designated driver...yeh right. We gotta take Rich D & Buff.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
When I went to TWC a couple of years ago in May everyone (14 people) was over 30. PJ said that this "old guys" camp was common place outside of the mid summer.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
did someone say "old guys?" i'm in!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-20-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
Old Guys Camp!! Old Guys Camp!!
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-20-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
If Kevin is in....I am in. Yes I am also part of the old guy division.