Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (fidelis)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-23-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
i've been wakeboarding for about 5 years, and im goin down to the outerbanx...tomorrow...and im gonna try some kite boarding..i know noone who has done it and was wonderin what your imputs are on the sport so i kinda of know what to expect
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
I tried it once and wasnt too sucessful.

I hope you like sand.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Toolfan, I just had this vision of you being dragging down the beach; still holding on to the kite.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
well, if you would have been out there, it would have be more than a vision.

I have a buddy that lives in Cape Hateras that kite boards alot. He knew that I wakeboarded and assumed that they go hand in hand. So he just strapped me in (with NO instructions) and let me fly, literally.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-23-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I am really interested in learning to kiteboard. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to learn? How difficult is it to learn, I've heard you need to spend at least a day or two with just the kite to get the hang of it before trying to board with it.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-23-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
They sell a kit for like $50 bucks which is basically a little kite to practice manuvering, once comfortable, you should allow yourself to be dragged in the water w/o a board and get that feeling, when ready next step is to try it.
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-23-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
make sure u know how to fly at least a two line kite before you go for it.im pretty sure that all the trainer kites are just 2 line ones, but if it is a buddy teachin u, u might want to try and get familiar with a quad line kite as well
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-23-2004, 9:35 PM Reply   
Practice with a two line kite for some time first. After all they are a blast. Learn to fly them in all directions and where the power zone is and how to hold it there. A decent one is going to be around $100.

Then go and take a lesson, as kiting is very dangerous to you and others around you. The kite lines are the most dangerous part to other people, as they can cut deep and are darn near unbreakable. Solid objects are the most dangerous to you. There is quite a bit to know about relaunching a downed kit, again great to practice with a trainer. How to safely launch and retrieve a traction kite is a must. Videos can teach you a lot about this extreme sport.
Old     (fidelis)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-24-2004, 6:14 AM Reply   
yeah im goin to REAL kiteboarding in hatteras today...so i guess we'll just see how it goes
Old    slidervinny            09-24-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
JUST SAY NO
Old    anim8or            09-24-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
$100 for a practice kite? Do they rent kites anywhere? Or do I just need to do the ebay route and get a used one? Seems like a lotta money for something I won't need after 10 hours of practice.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-24-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
there is a group of kite boarders who anchor out a short distance from my favorite spot on the delta. My son has tried to get friendly with them in an attempt to get a free kiteboarding lesson but no luck so far....

We do see them teach others from time to time. It does NOT look easy. Even with the more experienced people we see a group of several people and a dinghy to get the kite launched. They have a couple of riders in the group that can manange to re-fly a downed kite but most require rescue...

I know that they have a trainer kite they start people off on. The first step is to just fly the kite on a low wind day. Next step is to fly the kite in a moderate wind while in the water. No board, they just let the kite drag them around for a bit. I guess there is a big difference in controling the kite between standing on solid ground and while trying to tread water....

It does look like fun though. It also looks like a good activity to fill in when the wind is ruining the wakeboarding.

Rod
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
I have a bunch o questions about this too =)
more so about actually doing it than learning.

When you kiteboard is it a one direction thing? Do you need to tach into the wind like a sailboat?
How much room do you need?
Is it something you could do on a small to medium sized lake, or is it typically an ocean only type thing?

I've been flying two line kites (airfoils I believe they would be called, they look like parachutes) for a long time and can control em very well. I've been wondering abuot kiteboarding for awhile (mostly because I thought you could do it solo, but maybe not now that i've read this thread)
Old    anim8or            09-24-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
David, check out this website for pretty much all the answers to your questions....

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com
Old    juicy            09-24-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
The best thing to do is take a lesson from a certified instructor. They will provide you with all the gear and instruction you need to get started.

. This is equlivent to going scuba diving without a license or instruction. Kites are very dangerous when used improperly you will not only be putting yourself in danger but anybody who is with in a few hundred yards of you. It is very important to have the proper kite per the current wind conditions.

If your are serious about learning how to Kiteboard give these sites a try. There BB" are very helpful and the Kiters who post there are friends with plenty of instructors through out the US, Canada, and Caribean.

http://www.learntokite.com
http://www.broneah.com
Old    boardline23            09-26-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
can u use your wakeboard for a board?
Old    anim8or            09-27-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
I'm planning on doing a leasson, but I heard its smart to practice with a smaller, training kite before taking the lesson, otherwise the instructor may say you suck with the kite too much to try it on the water. Thats why I was wondering if its possible to rent a trainer kite (they cost $100-$200 new)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-27-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
Matt, yes you can use a wakeboard but not recommended when you are a beginner. Plus you should use sandle bindings for the first few times out. The smaller the board the more powerfull the kite, the more likely for something to go wrong.

Mike, the nice thing about owning a trainer is that you can loan it to friends and they really are fun to fly.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-05-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
Kiteboarding is one of the most fun sports on the water! It combines all that is fun about wakeboarding, but adds the freedom and soul of surfing and snowboarding. Basic lessons are a must as the kite is very powerful. You need to be taught to rig and get safely in and out of the water in any situation. Once you can do that the learning happens the hard way, just like in wakeboarding.

Most instructors will lend you a trainer a couple of weeks before your lesson, so you can be good and familiar with the controls when you show up for the lesson. if you do decide to buy a trainer, get a 3m trainer instead of the 2m. A 3m is still strong enough to pull you around on a mountain board. Still fun to play with.

Learn to fly the kite, and the rest is just wakeboarding with much bigger jumps, much softer landings, travels anywhere, rides in any water conditions, and no cost for a boat or gas.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-05-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
"This is equlivent to going scuba diving without a license or instruction"

Given that all you need to know about scuba is how to read a decompression table and don't hold your breath on the way up, I'd say kiteboarding sounds pretty easy. Sign me up!
Old    tall__andy            10-05-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
John
More people have been seriously injured Kiting in its short existence than scuba divers in probably 10 years. I've been kiting for about 3 years now, and know quite a few people that have been hurt kiting. I would tell anyone I know to try it. One of the best sports out there, but go in with your eyes open!!!!! I use a small kite(5 m) on an earthboard in light wind, and have been dragged across the soccer field. The amount of power the kites have is incredible(sp) Anyway its a ton of fun when its too windy to wake.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-05-2004, 4:32 PM Reply   
This is the local wakeboard/kiteboard shop near me. Actually, they are more a kiteboard shop than a wakeboard shop nowadays, and they're pretty knowledgable. They also have deals on used gear. www.islandsurf-sail.com
Old     (wakeboardqueen)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
I HAVE A BELLY BUTTON
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-06-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
John:

There are numerour hazards associated with SCUBA diving. What kill, however, is panic or sheer stupidity. The value of taking lessons and getting certified is learning what NOT to do and how to handle situations. For example, it really common for your buddy to kick you in the face and knock your mask off. With a little training in the pool you can master breathing without the mask (a lot harder than you might think), finding the mask, putting it back on, clearing it and continuing with your dive. Without the training your instinct might be to shoot to the surface, which can kill you.

I would expect a little training in Kiteboarding might save your life, prevent some injuries, or at least make the experience a little more rewarding.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-06-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Yep, I got my PADI cert back in the 80's. Even before that I used to open dive, cave dive with doubles, use decompression tables, practice buddy breathing with no surface within a 100 horizontal feet, and more including taking my mask off and on.

I was making a joke. Shoulda put a smiley on it. However, I think learning to kiteboard is probably a lot more difficult than learning to scuba from a physical standpoint. Which is really pretty easy. Like you alluded to, scuba is pretty much keeping a level head and using your brain.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-07-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
Kiteboarding is the same way. More learning what not to do, and ways to help yourself in bad situations. The kicker with kiteboarding si that the power in the kite is tremendous, so you tend to want to go out with a weaker kite until you get better. However, you cant make much progression with an underpowered kite.

Its like telling a kid interested in learning to ride a motorcyles that he has to learn on a Hyabusa!!

A lesson will teach you how to be safe and in control of the dangerous times, which are launching and landing. Learning to control the power and learning to ride the board are going to be trial and error on your own.

learning to kiteboard is much like learning to drive. It is stressful at first because you have to concentrate on everything, and you are in control of lethal power. When you first learned to drive, you had to think about everything. After a while, you driving is so natural, that it becomes involuntary and you can do other things like change the radio without detracting from your driving ability. kiteboarding is the same way. it is tense and scary at first, but one you get comfortable with it, its very natural and easy.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-07-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
I thought learning to scuba dive was as easy as falling off a log. You learn a few basic rules and stick a reg in your mouth. Being comfortable under water was 90% of the effort and you can get that from snorkling, which I've done all my life.

I can't imagine kiteboarding being anything remotely as easy. And I would most definitely like to learn to KB.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-07-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
I wanted to try the whole kiteboard thing and found it to be a very frustrating sport. Whenever I arrived at the beach to learn from the guy I was buying the kite from - the responses drove me NUTS! Either the wind was too strong or there was not enough wind, we are to close to the road here, that kite is the wrong size for this particuler wind speed, the tide is too far out, the tide is too far in, your shorts are the wrong color, your not holding your mouth right...
I personally did not have the time to wait for the planets to align so I could get a good day of training - so I actually got drug across the beach, ripped open my leg and successfully landed a 25 meter kite on a house.

If you are serious, pay the money to an instructor - or take a kiteboard vacation to an area that always has the right conditions.

I took the kite and threw it in the guys truck, brushed the sand and blood off of me, and hit double-ups behind the boat the rest of the day.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-07-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Conditions for riding are pretty open, while conditions for learning can be a bit narrow, depending ont he place and instructor.

To learn, you need to have the right kite for the windspeed, and the wind needs to be side shore (blowing down the shoreline). You want vacant shallow flat water. Turning a power source like that over to the inexperienced is stressful for an instuctor. Most instructors require a high standrd for the learning conditions.

Once you are past the basics instructions, then these conditions are not as important. You dont have to have perfect wind direction, and you dont need a deserted beach.

Ted, most instructors dont teach on 25m. I would find another instructor
Old     (fidelis)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-13-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
kiteboarding is eazy...they wanted 300$ for a lesson...no way! i bought my own kite and learned on my own...worked for me...just learned the kite then put on my board...not bad
Old    optionryder420            10-13-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
Go get a lesson, I kiteboard now. I rarely wakeboard anymore. Whoever says they never took a lesson is definently not doing something right.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-13-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
Mike, I have a trainer kite you could borrow. I have had it for a few years but just have never made the plunge for the big kite. The kite I have is a1 meter two line kite. I bought it from a kite boarding web site. I live in Whittier, which isn't too far from SM (35 miles or so). I have a broken leg right now and wont be able to do any riding for another 5 months or so. Let me know if you are interested. I can probably just mail it to you.