Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-21-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 210 and just can't seem to find the sweet spot to surf without a rope. We usually drain the belly and port side and fill-up the drivers side ballast for surfing. Speed usually around 10MPH. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? How far back should I be from the platform?

I'd really like to get someone who surfs behind a 210 to show us the ropes.

Thanks!
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-21-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 super air(same hull as ours) that I surf on a lot. First of all, what side of the boat are you surfing and how much to ballast do you have and where?
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
Drivers side, we just fill that side ballast, drain everything else and put everyone we have on the back deck towards that side. No other ballast. We just use the stock system. Thanks for the help.
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
I ride the driver side also. I have taken the rear tanks out of mine but I will tell you my setup. I can get a really good wave with 4 or 5 people in the boat and two 400 lbs fat sac. I put one sac in the engine campartment and the other on the seat behind the driver, one person in the bow on that driver and the other people in the driver side back corner( some people sit on the fat sac). My setup when it is just myself and the girlfriend is 750 engine compartment, 300 other side, 400 seat behind the driver and 3-400 in the bow. Hope this help. If I were you I would buy to fly high v drive sacs and fill your driverside ballast tank and have a sac on top of that(reason is if you dont want to take the tanks out the 750 will not fit), 400 sac in the bow on driverside or behind the driver depending on people and everyone in the boat in the driver back corner. If you want the wave longer put weight in the bow or people and shorter take weight out of the bow. You should have no people getting a good wave with two 400 fat sac with a crew of 4+
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-22-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan318 View Post
I ride the driver side also. I have taken the rear tanks out of mine but I will tell you my setup. I can get a really good wave with 4 or 5 people in the boat and two 400 lbs fat sac. I put one sac in the engine campartment and the other on the seat behind the driver, one person in the bow on that driver and the other people in the driver side back corner( some people sit on the fat sac). My setup when it is just myself and the girlfriend is 750 engine compartment, 300 other side, 400 seat behind the driver and 3-400 in the bow. Hope this help. If I were you I would buy to fly high v drive sacs and fill your driverside ballast tank and have a sac on top of that(reason is if you dont want to take the tanks out the 750 will not fit), 400 sac in the bow on driverside or behind the driver depending on people and everyone in the boat in the driver back corner. If you want the wave longer put weight in the bow or people and shorter take weight out of the bow. You should have no people getting a good wave with two 400 fat sac with a crew of 4+
I'm curious, why do you want 300 lbs on the non-surf side v-drive locker? I thought the goal was to slam it all to one side as much as possible, right?
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Thanks much. So, it is just an issue with not having enough weight in there I guess? I guess I will need to invest in some fat sacks again. For wakeboarding we are pretty happy with just the stock set-up and a few people.

Two more questions-
- speed
- how many feet are you back from the platform
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
I love the wake of the 210 and with 1500 lbs it rocks for wakeboarding. Speed- it can vary depend on people a weight 9.3-10 is what I do but I haven't tried any faster than that. From Platform- any where a foot or two(You can actually ride up to the platfrom and jump in the boat wile surging) from it to 12-15 away from it, just remember if you want a longer pocket, put more weight in the frontor shorter more in the back. One more thing, you want to get the rub rail on the side of the boat back the engine compartment on the surf side in or as close to the water as possible, the one thing you need to watch is the vent back there to make sure your not to low and taking in water there. Have Fun I love surfing
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
It seems to help the wake to be bigger when I have a 750 in the engine compartment and a 400 on the seat and another 400 in the bow
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Naptownwake- How do you set up your 210?
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       06-22-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Looking for advice on the passenger side!
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-22-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
My boat surfs better with both the lockers filled and a extra 500 on the surf side.We run a ton of weight though.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-25-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
OK, so I bought a 750 fat sack yesterday... Do I just keep everything filled (stock ballast), open the drivers side rear hatch and put the 750lbs on top of the stock ballast? Help a brother out!! I don't know if the 750 sack will even fit on top of the stock ballast- it is still sitting in my truck.
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-28-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
The 750 sac will not fill all the way on top of the factory tank(If i were you I would buy two 400 lbs vdrive sac and put one on top of ballast tank, other on the surf side rear seat), but fill it as much as possible and have both rear tanks full and everyone on the boat on the surf side, if you wake is not very clean bewteen 9 to 10 mph empty the non surf side ballast tank. What you want to do is try and get the water line at the rub rail and it should produce and pretty good wake.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Thanks, I filled it up almost all of the way and just let it stick out of the hatch and spill onto the seat (hard to explain). Wake was decent. I think I will try draining the non-wake side tank next time. Do you do a slight steady right turn the whole time or drive a straight line?
Old     (GastonSurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
My 03 SAN is the same hull as yours and I use 750 lbs. Fat Sacs in the rear lockers, along with passengers for ballast. I'm fortunate to have 6-8 people in our cove that like to surf, so weight usually isn't an issue.

I've found that this hull likes the weight distributed at a ratio of 60% rear and 40% front, all on the riding side. Because of the prop rotation, the goofy side (starboard) is a bit better, but you can still get a great wake with enough weight. I fill the belly tank up about half way, and then move people around to tune the wake. Normally we ride at 10-10.4 mph, but we have started playing around with speed some, increasing it up to 11.5 - 12.5 mph. It shortens the wake height, but really extends the pocket out a ways from the platform.

One often overlooked factor in wake surfing is the water depth. There are times when you don't have this option, but riding in at least 15 feet of water will really help the wake quality. There is a shallow area (6-8 feet) that we have to ride through when we surf and the wake quality drops quite a bit until we get out in deeper water.

My advice to you is spend some time and experiment with different weight placements, riding areas on the lake, and speed to see where you get the best wake. Good luck.
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-29-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
I alway drive in a staight line beacuse if you dont it mess the water up for everyone else.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-29-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
Any of you guys have pictures of your surf wake? I feel like I have only seen pictures of waves behind tiges. Interested to see how a nautiques looks. I know there are guys at my lake that surf their SAN's but havent gotten a good look at em.
Old     (GastonSurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-30-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Any of you guys have pictures of your surf wake? I feel like I have only seen pictures of waves behind tiges. Interested to see how a nautiques looks. I know there are guys at my lake that surf their SAN's but havent gotten a good look at em.
I don't have any handy, but I'll try and get some over the 4th holiday and post next week.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
thanks, Ill check back after the weekend