Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-04-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
Hey guys thinking of adding tower speakers. When it comes to HLCD tower speakers where is the best value?????
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-04-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Bullet 7.7hlcd's
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-04-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
For true HLCDs look at the following (in alpha order):

Bullet HollowPoint 770 $800.00 pr.
Exile XM-7 $850.00 pr.
WetSounds Pro60 $850.00 pr.

One pair of any of the above can be run to full potential with a $300.00 amplifier.

All of the above companies are reputable with great service. Its all positive.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-04-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
There was discount for the Krypt 8" ones a little while ago. I picked up a set cheap. He must be getting rid of this last years line because I just ordered a second pair of the 6.5" for $175 which is pretty damn cheap and what I could afford.

All of the above referenced brands have a damn good reputation though and Kicker has some coming out too.
Old    falcon_v            01-04-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
Hey J. Brenner what do you think of the krypt 8 do they sound good what amp do you have runing them.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-04-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
I have them running off of a Kicker KX450.2 They sound awesome as I am sure most HLCD's sound.

I really only think I needed the two but my neighbor sold me his Kicker KX850.4 for a damn good deal and I couldn't pass it up.

I am not by any means an expert like a few of the audio gods we on here so my opinion might not be the best. I would describe the Krypts like this. You get in your car and you turn your stereo on and you can hear the music. It's not to loud but you can hear it clearly. You want it louder just turn it up and as long as they are properly powered they still sound great. That's how these HLCD's are at the end of the rope. Turn your stereo on even at a lower level and you can still hear the music, all the words nice and clearly, you want it louder just turn it up. My older setups (4 6.5's, Evids, Kicker KMT6's) I had to blast at a ridiculous level just to hear the music and it really was that clear. It also killed everyone in the boat.

I haven't heard the 6.5" yet though so I can't offer an opinion on those. Bulletlines did mention something about some 6X9" HLCD coming out when I ordered my 6.5"s but I am on a pretty tight budget from the household CFO so I went ahead and just got the cheap set of the 6.5"s.
Seems that would be a good deal for all those people people with custom 6X9" boxes as long as they were the right size.
Would kind of be like what NVS has done with his new 10" enclosures that kind of wrap around the tower to achieve more head room.

Bigger speaker with the 6X9 HLCD but more headroom
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-05-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
anyone heard these right next to one another all about the same price. Also my tower is not set up for tower speakers so have to run wire. I have a 2002 X star so any ideas on how to do this?
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-05-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
I cannot compare the Bullets or the Wetsound Pro60s, but I've have the Exile XM7's and had the larger model of the wetsounds the Pro80's. I had them both on my tower at the same time powered by the Kicker ZX850.4 wired one channel per speaker. I personally thought that the Exile XM7's sounded better then the Pro80's. For me they provided better sound quality in the boat. But everyone on here is going to have there own opinion as to what sounds the best and for the most part you cannot go wrong with any of them.

What I would look for instead is what features does each company offer with there speakers that will best suit your needs. For instance the Exile XM7's have the ability to rotate 360's and have a quick disconnect with 1 allen head screw to remove and nothing else.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-05-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
tampawake,

We have all three products receiving identical power, under equal conditions and side-by-side on display. There are some tonal differences in closer proximity and that becomes a bit of a subjective preference. There's also some slight differences in maximum output where one has placed sound shaping as a priority over peak output or the inverse.

In the final analysis, all three sound exactly like HLCDs rather than conventional speakers. All three will cut through the engine noise, environmental noise, turbulence and distance to play loud and articulate at 70 or 80 feet. And, under wakeboarding conditions the differences when projecting at that range are so minimized that they're really not worth discussion.

All three companies (Bullet HollowPoint, Exile and WetSounds) have their independent notions of how to make the best HLCD and all three companies deliver top quality in all respects.

Its also going to be hard to piece together separate products and get the same quality in pods, finishes and collars without either making some serious compromises or going up a little in price.

One the tower harness issue, I've yet to see a tower that wouldn't facilitate wiring after the fact. With a little instruction its not going to be as big of a challenge as it may appear.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       01-05-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
So my question is this, when are they going to make an HLCD that will fit into an MC can. I love my stainless cans but would like the better projection offered by a horn loaded speaker?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-05-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Matt, I thought the Krypt and Bullet speakers fit Mastercraft cans?

Is it Malibu who has the factory 6X9 cans?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-05-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
Matt,

What size speakers are in your MC cans? Doesnt MC use the JL 7.7's, or is the 6.5's?
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       01-05-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
Hmmm, not sure, they are JL speakers in the cans, I think 6.5's will have to check.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-05-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
^^^ If they are 6.5", then check out the new Kicker KM65002's

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/749837.html?1262743047
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-05-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
I know there was a thread a while ago where someone did change out the JL coax stock M/C speakers with HLCDs in the factory cans. I couldn't find it in a search
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-06-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Matt,

MasterCraft in recent models uses the JL Audio 7.7 drivers so the Bullet HollowPoint 770 HLCDs (also an exact 7.7-inch) fit nicely. We've done this several times.

It would be impossible to give up those factory pods.

Just like the JL 7.7s deserve much more power than factory systems deliver, the HLCDs should get considerably more power to live up to their potential.

In the previous years where MasterCraft used Clarion 6 1/2" speakers, it might be possible to retrofit those pods with 650 HLCDs. However, the 650s require a slightly oversized opening which might need a slight mod but have a conventional outer grill diameter.

David
Earmark Marine