Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    ratm3706            09-13-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
Had an Idea and I wanted to run it by some of you to see what you all thought. We all know how expensive custom tanks are, So I am wondering just how waterproof is fiberglass. I am pretty handy with glass so I was thinking about making some custom tanks for our boat. They wil not be huge and more than likey will not ever bear any load other than the water pressure. Just wondering if this would work and whether or not the glass would need a coat of something to make it absolutely waterproof.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
Daniel, you will not need to coat the fiberglass with anything since the epoxy is water proof. Just make sure you have no holes or thin spots and you will be good. Any fittings you have to fill and empty will most likely need gaskets though. Also make sure the epoxy is fully cured before you fill it with water. Good luck!
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-15-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
My cousin went to www.watertanks.com and had custom lightweight plastic tanks built for the price of good fat sacs. I plan on doing the same...check em out.

Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-15-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
I just went to the sight to check out the tanks and the rectagular premade sized tanks were like $300 bucks a piece. You can get custom made bags for around $100
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-15-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
Call them...they don't have everything listed and can make custom sizes in the lightweight vs. the industrial for cheaper. Plus, they can put multiple fittings anywhere you want them.
Old    ratm3706            09-15-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
The only problem with that is my front tank will be a very complex shape. I do not think it would be worthwhile to have a plastic tank made. I will be doing a fiberglass tank that fits in the nose of SN 2001 with hopefully about 400-700lbs. The rear tank will have a steel substructure with fiberglass rounding out the full tank and the "fabbed" back seat will have eiher bolt holes or someother type or attatchment to make rear view seating possible.