Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (jd7bball)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
I am upgrading from a 07 Fish to either a 09 Shane or 09 Watson. Both seem to be pretty similar, 3 Stage Aggressive rocker, V Hull, etc. I need to hear some suggestions! I am 50-50...
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-13-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
Tough call man. I came off the fish to the Shane and I absolutely love it. Got other friends who transitioned to the Watson and love it as well. Of course everyone is going to tell you to demo though.
Old     (jd7bball)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
how do you like the Shane compared to the Fish - other than shear all around performance... dont get me wrong, the Fish was a great board the skill level I was at, but its time to progress.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       08-13-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
I would say the shane rides more simmilarly to the fish than the watson... that said tho i have rode all 3 and the watson is my board of choice... the only differences i have noticed is the watson is a litte slower than the shane and is a little more smooth/ loose ride (but still not that loose). They both have similar pop and land very softly but the shane it a quarter inch wider than the watson so it has a similar wide feeling to the fish. But i say watson all the way haha. The shane just feels too locked in for me.
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-13-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
JDizzy, I see you are riding lake Anna. You should check out DCWake some time as well. A ton of those guys are riding these same two boards you are asking about. I am down in VB.

Honestly I loved the width of the Fish, but hated the length and I felt it was causing me some pretty hard crashes here and there. With the Shane, I got a little bit of length, kept the width, and it locks on edge when you want it to. It really helped me in progressing my TS cuts. To me the board was a bit faster as well, but very forgiving. I dig the cupped fins as well. Hope that helps a bit.
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       08-13-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden the 09 boards, just the 08's, but I believe the shane is similar and the watson is the same. The watson has a much more abrupt, straight up pop than the shane, which made it a little harder for me to control. It also seemed to land quite a bit harder than the shane, maybe because of the pop being more straight up, then up and out like the shane. When I would land on the watson is was almost like I was stopping, whereas the shane kept me cutting away. I would disagree with mason about the looseness, the shane seems looser to me, and its faster. I like the shane better.