Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old    d_fresh            08-28-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
I would like to mount a depth finder. I will be removing the analog clock, which is a 2" gauge, and replace with the depth gauge. What is the performing depth finder out there?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
a 20ft pole.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-28-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
Try this -

http://www.norcrossmarine.com/products/DF1000D/overview.htm

It should fit your 2" opening, and works quite well.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
The best depth sounders use a thru hull transducer, not a in hull or hockey puck transducer. On inboard boats you cant use a transom mount due to the turbulance created by the prop. Some boat manufacturers use a triducer for their speedo paddel wheel which can measure speed depth and water temp. Switching to this would give you a quality thruhull transducer without having to drill a new hole in you hull (which in all honesty is not that hard) What gauge you use is not really important for a good reading, it just has to match frequences with the transducer
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
I'll second it for the Norcross Hawkeye. I put one in mine and it works very well for the price and it's a good alternative for a boat that didn't come with one. A buddy spent $175 for a Faria and it doesn't work any better, although the faria does have a nice stainless bezel.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
I just replaced my inboard which originally had a thru hull transducer which failed with a new Faria transom mount and I am getting good results and am seeing no issue with turbulence from the prop
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
My hawkeye sucks! Very random on the readings
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-29-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
They all work well as long as you mount the transducer appropriately. Just get the cheapest one that's not ugly. I bought an $89 Uniden when I changed boats 6 yrs ago, and it has never once messed up.
Old     (hooterz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Do the glue in type work ok, cuz I don't want to drill no hole in my boat. Where would you mount this type in a direct drive boat?
Old     (ceres1312)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Where is everyone mounting their thru hull transducer on a v-drive?
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-01-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
I could not get the Hawkeye to work. Even called them and they said the 2 problems are the density of the hull bottom and the angle in shoots the beam. I returned to West Marine for the Humminbird and it works great.