Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       04-27-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Currently in my boat I have a 10" Sony x plod sub in a Q-logic bandpass box powered by a Sony XM-2002 GT Sony claims (500W x 1 RMS into 4 ohms) and I hate everything about them. The box only produces a limited tone and is not to loud. It is Walmart stuff and I need to upgrade.

I have tried to do the research myself but after a week of scouring Craigslist for the best deals and reading through pages and pages of info on here and other websites I have left myself completely overwhelmed and confused.

I don't want to rattle the boat loose but I do want good sounding deep bass. Our boat doesn't have tones of space so keeping it down to one sub would be great.

This is what I am working with so far.

1 pair of wet sounds PRO-60's

Rockford fosgate P400-4

4 polk DB651

Pioneer DEH-P401HD (3 Sets of 4V preamp outputs)

I want to add a sub and power for it and the boat speakers.

The P400-4 produces rms 78 x 4 @ 4 Ohms, 131 x 4 @ 2, and 262 X 2 @ 4 Ohms. I could use it to power the interior speakers and get something more powerful for the tower but I was planning on using it to power the PRO-60s. Then I could get something slightly less powerful to power the interior speakers, this would also save some money.

Anyway my question is what do you recommend? Bottom line I need more bass and I don't want to brake the bank.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-27-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
the main problem with a band pass box is is it will only produce on and around the tuned porting. try a good 1cuft sealed box. i would go ported if it were me. but you have to know what your doing to build ported.
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       04-27-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Any sub woofer/amp recommendations. There are so many options out there, I was looking to see what other people have had success with. I would like to stay under $400 for sub and an amp to run it.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-27-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
ported kicker L5 best output for the money imo. they can be had cheap
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-30-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
I just installed an Alpine Type R 10 inch sub (2ohm)and it hits. I compared it with the Kicker L7 10 inch (using the same amp at the stereo shop) and the Alpine had much cleaner better sounding bass IMO. As far as amps go, I'm pushing mine with the Kicker 5 channel amp. The 5 channel amp powers my in boat polk momo's 6.5 coax and the Type R subwoofer.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
I'm with 882001, Kicker L5 or 7, for the money they cant' be beat, and can take a hell of a beating in a marine environment and still play.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-01-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Erling,

A Q-logic bandpass is an off-the-shelf product that is not tuned for any particular woofer. The port or ports are press fit so the box is not airtight. Its untreated MDF and it probably won't hold up for a single season. Its not surprising that you're disappointed.

Your Sony amplifier will work fine. I would stay with woofers that are on the efficient side. A 10-inch in a ported enclosure will be the most bang for the buck and you can keep the box under 1.25 cu. ft.

A quality, custom-built, correctly tuned, waterproof box with terminal and poly mounting pads is around $200. A number of woofers from Kicker, Polk, JL, etc. will get the job done in the $100 to $200 range. So, $300 to $400 total.

Also, invest in a $20.00 set of subsonic filters if your amplifier doesn't have it built in.

The correct system tuning is as impactful as anything else.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I just put in an L7 12 and Hifonics amp (900rms to the sub) and im really happy with it. It was under $400 for both.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-02-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
we just installed a kicker l7 with a diamond audio 1000x1 mono amp and are VERY happy with the out come.