Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-05-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Here is another "useless" (LOL) test comparing the very latest Nikon & Canon bodies with the 40D thrown in for good measure. It's worth reading if for nothing else other then to see the different ways Canon and Nikon apply noise reduction in camera and how it affects detail.

http://www.prophotohome.com/Nikon-D3x-Canon-5D-MKII-High-ISO-Image-Quality-Review
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-05-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
They left out the high ISO king. D700. haha

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/296|0/(appareil2)/305|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Canon

And don't get me started on the quality of that test. A dog, a moving dog, really....????? Look at the first D3x picture at 1600, you have to be kidding me, was the dog chasing a squirrel?

(Message edited by alans on February 05, 2009)
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-05-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
I also could be wrong, but NR does not effect a RAW image, at least on my D700 it does not.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-05-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Based on the popularity of the recent dog pics thread here on wakeworld I'd say a dog is probably a perfect test subject, no worse then a moving baby in a dark room! (Sorry Alan, couldn't resist)

That has been a big subject of discussion lately, exactly how much NR Canon/Nikon are doing in the RAW pipeline. It's pretty obvious they are doing some on chip.

A 21 mp image is going to hide noise way better then a 12 mp image, especially if you're not pixel peeping or printing at poster size so in the real world it's probably a draw as well.

Like I said above I posted that link because I just thought they did a good job of showing the different levels of NR and how 2 companies' cams are different.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-05-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
The comparison is fine for looking at noise. But beyond that it is a horrible comparison. He had the cameras on AWB. With a moving subject like a dog, of course there is going to be a ton of deviation. I am just saying that the only thing that can be compared is the noise, not color, nor sharpness, nor exposure, etc.