Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
Alright my boy is 2, never gets off the tramp with the tramp board (can do a bouncing 360 with the handle by the way), always wants to watch wakebording vids, I just don't have to push, but is 2 too young? If not will the hyperlite 109 be perfect for him?

I plan on taking him to the local YMCA to start him off.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-29-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Maybe try it out with him on it?! I know that's how my buddy started w/ his girlfriend. Although, he was more interrested in her than teaching her. She did learn it though.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
Be carefull, if you get him out behind the boat that young and he has a bad face plant (and he will) it could scare him for years to come. If he ends up face down he will not be strong enough to turn himself over and it will take you over a minute to get the boat back to him. My son is a coach for Elevate Wake Camps and he won't take a student under 5 years old.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-29-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
Start him out on a knee board I used to pull all my nephews along the shore then went to the boat. That way he will be used to the pull and you can also sit on the back of the boat and hold the rope. Then I would go to the funny ski board that looks like a horse shoe. Then get him on a wakeboard. Just like Randy said if he face plants that will be the end for a while. I did this with all my nephews now they all love to ride. One of the best parts of wakeboarding is when you can hand it down to a kid. Just take it slow.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
well all I was going to do this summer was the ymca pull him by the rope around the pool but I wasn't bout the board or if he was just too young to start. I have pulled him around the house tho.
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2006, 3:35 AM Reply   
Take two handles, tie them end to end. Go to a local beach and run in shallow water pulling him on a board. I have done that with my kids. It is a great way to get them used to the feel.
Old    awsnow            06-30-2006, 4:11 AM Reply   
Let the little champ give it a try. He will almost pop-up with the boat at idle speed since he is so small. Pull him at idle with someone in the water with him.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2006, 5:33 AM Reply   
My girlfriend started waterskiing when she was 2 yrs old. She grew up on the boat, and now boards ever since I got her into it. If your kid is into it, let them try it. I hope that one day when I have kids they'll be as enthusiastic to try wakeboarding as some people's children I've read about here.

I think that's awesome!

(Message edited by newmy79 on June 30, 2006)
Old    ascag            06-30-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
my dad used to run up and down the shoreline pulling on a knee board when i was 4
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-30-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
Kenny,

My dad tought me the same way as Squid described & the rest is history.... I was probabaly 2 maybe 3 in the top photo & 5 in the bottom. Check out the "wings" on my pops hair & those 70's shorts - hahaha - good times / memories for sure!!!

Upload

Upload

Lzy
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-30-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
My wife and I have been pondering the same kind of questions as ghostrider.

There, that was my one and only "on topic" sentence. Now on to the real reason I'm posting.

I used to hate it when peeps seemed to feel obligated to show me their kid pictures. So now that I have a child I figure it‘s payback time so I show off my munchkin every chance I get.

Disclaimer:
In an attempt to avert another Stupid Boater thread, I will acknowledge that these pictures will make some of you squeamish (and apparently down right hostile) but I assure you that no butter was harmed in the making of these pictures. The tube only comes out when my little girl wants to "ski" (as she calls it) and the tube is pulled between idle and 1000rpm with absolutely no power turns.

Now, on to the pics of my three year old boy of the canine persuasion and my three year old girl.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-30-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
JimR.....nice writing style.

My youngest sons favorite toy was a wakeboard handle. We would have to hold it while we were watching tv so we would just put it on our ankles while he would "take his pass" There were no Disney movies for him. His first sentence was from watching an old HO movie where Darin Shapiro went under the water and came back up and got back up on his board. The commentator screamed "How does He do it?" THAT was Jacobs first sentence. We also did the running on the beach thing but he quickly outgrew that (OK, and we were lazy after a hundred pulls) Even before that we would shoot him back and forth on a knee board to get him the feel. Then we would get in the water with him on a knee board and get pulled behind the boat slowly and then let him go for short lengths. Then he would want to do it on his own, the speed increased and the rest is history.

Upload
Jacob Valdez 12 years old

(Message edited by teamvaldez on June 30, 2006)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-30-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Almost everytime a thread of this nature comes up I post a link to the video of a friends daughter learning to wakeboard. I think she was 3 at the time. She had been on the boat since she was about 3 months old. http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=9563&cat=500&ppuser=3079
Old    tribal            06-30-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried being pulled in a tube just in front of their kid.This way you could coach and be there for an instant rescue.Just some thought's I'm tossing around.My son's still only 11 mths old.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-30-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
TeamValdez... nice riding style. That pic of your son is amazing.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-30-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
george that is an awesome video. my daugher turns 1 in a week so we have a couple years left but she sure does enjoy the boats.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-30-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Hey JimR,
It sure looks like your little girl in the first picture is about to "teak surf".

Careful there.

Just kidding!

Jman
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-30-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
My girlfriend has a 4yr old and I would love to get her started. So all this info has really helped me out. Im reluctant to put her on a tube because I did that with my little brother and he never would try the board.I guess it was the security of the tube that he liked.
Old     (bkman211)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Here are a couple of pics of my daughter. She is 13 months in the first and 2 years in the second. I let her ski skim behind the boat now since she can keep her head up and flip over if she lands face down with the life jacket on. I would not put her on a wake board since she would be straped in and may had a hard time if she landed face down. She absolutly loves wake surfing with me.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
George- that video is so great. I love how she instantly starts on handing it and dragging her hand in the water. Brian, nice pics also, my daugter is coming up on a year so these were very inspirational.Thanks
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
George-that video is unreal. I truely would not have believed it if I didnt see it. That little girl has no freaking fear! How old is she now. She's probably tearing it up now going W2W.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-01-2006, 12:57 AM Reply   
great vid george..
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-01-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
George= that is the cutest thing! At what point do you let her get up on her own?

Kenny- Another thought is letting Jr. ride on your board WITH you in order to get a feel for being pulled. Our friend Eric has done that with his girls. Perhaps if Eric reads this, he might comment on how he does it and maybe post some pics...
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
First time today at 7...told me on the way home we have to go wakeboarding now "every day." Upload
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2006, 2:44 AM Reply   
Renee, I want to do that but as far as he will go so far is standing on the wake board on the teak deck, as long as I have the board on he's just not ready yet go that far, but I believe it'll be like the trampoline once he does it, its over he'll never want to get off
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-02-2006, 5:55 AM Reply   
I've been away for several post - The vid was in Sept 2002 - She got her own board the next season and made deep water starts. Last year she was going w2w and some 1 wake 180's.
Old    skydawn19            07-02-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
My daughter is 6. She has a hyperlite divine 119. We pulled her around a lot last season. This year we have been trying to get her up in deep water (with someone coaching in the water) . . . not much luck so far. It's making me crazy, but she doesn't seem to get the least bit discouraged. She's got plenty of heart. I think she's just lacking in the coaching department.

We haven't thought to try letting her go from the swim step. Maybe we'll give it a try.

I'd really like to get her going on deep water starts, though. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to teach her? I'm kinda out of ideas.

(Message edited by skydawn19 on July 02, 2006)
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Try getting in with her which does a couple things...first, she relaxes knowing that you're in the drink with her. Second, you can hold her vest to keep her down and back until she planes some - then let go. I'm no expert but it worked for us with two first timers who had never even strapped on a board before. Upload
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-02-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
We got our 6 yr old daughter up last week. She just turned 6 last month. I had her out 60' and she rode at about 14 mph. Yours will be ready when they really want to do it and are strong enough for it.Upload
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
is anybody using the motive 109 or has used it? I figure it will last him til 5 or 6..
Old    skydawn19            07-04-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
Do you think we should maybe try letting her use one of our boards to get up the first couple of times?

I am wondering if that would allow her to figure it out, or if would it only cause more problems in the long run.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-06-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
That video is awesome. I heard that parks waterskied at 9 months. Anyone have pics of this? I think it is far fetched but who knows.